10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
ratings are a mugs game, really.

for me, messi did well today. he looked very lively and appears to have gotten over his argentina hangover. he just needs a goal to get himself going, and then we'll be in business.

Cal-FCB

Wurzeltron
Yeh, as a Barca fan I'm pretty happy with his performance tonight, he was much more lively and was happy to be involved again unlike Saturday. If other people want to criticise him then fair enough but his form is not a concern for me.

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
I didn't like how he was positioned last night, standing inside a lot rather than being positioned on the touchline and stretching the Rubin defence. Obviously this came from Pep but it's something I don't want to see repeated.

ashrafj

Massey: No doubt you have the best player in the world, no doubt you are a player who enjoys people watching.
But yesterday was not sold on the performance of Barca fully perhaps for the strain or otherwise.
Finally, do not look back and see forward and remember you're happy when the millions caught the ball ...

ashrafj from palestine

Beast

The Observer
what do you base this on?

some great passes in the first half and some decent dribbles and control as well. they started fouling him repeatedly in the second half and he got frustrated, but he still had some nice touches and runs to take us forward. probably should have done better on that shot after dani's backheel, but he did well to head it to zlatan for the chance that hit the bar.

if we take 5 to mean an okay performance, I'd give him a 6, maybe a 6.5. he was lively and created opportunities, but didn't manage to have an effect on the scoreboard.

Don't know what you were watching Beast, I'd say a 7 would be about right. He was our biggest threat and we were far more dangerous when he had the ball. Iniesta was off his game, Pedro was wasteful, Ibra played well but was isolated at times. He played some fantastic balls through on many occasions throughout the game which were either wasted or cut out brilliantly. But clearly that's only worth a 5.

Watching the same game you all watched the difference is my head is not buried in the sand ;)

He is a shadow of himself lately and if you give him 7 then i think you are watching the wrong sport old sport :D

Cal-FCB

Wurzeltron
Who played better than him last night then Beast? I'd say only Ibra and Abidal were more dangerous/effective, and you could argue for Yaya who put in a number of challenges. Xavi was off bar the assist, Iniesta is finding his feet, Pedro was wasteful, Dani was average, and both our centre backs were below par (pique's passing was horrendous). Valdes barely touched the ball.

Beast

The Observer
Who played better than him last night then Beast? I'd say only Ibra and Abidal were more dangerous/effective, and you could argue for Yaya who put in a number of challenges. Xavi was off bar the assist, Iniesta is finding his feet, Pedro was wasteful, Dani was average, and both our centre backs were below par (pique's passing was horrendous). Valdes barely touched the ball.

Just because there wasn't anyone better it doesn't mean u give him a high rating Cal amigo.

If the team played on 6/10 level Messi getting a 5 is normal .you give rating based on the player individual performance not based on he is the best from the worst

U were off color last night and the normal Messi would have dismantled Rubin to pieces , he is tired/under pressure and not preforming for couple of games now .

Galning

If the team played on 6/10 level Messi getting a 5 is normal .you give rating based on the player individual performance not based on he is the best from the worst

U were off color last night and the normal Messi would have dismantled Rubin to pieces , he is tired/under pressure and not preforming for couple of games now .

Correct.

Plus I agree, he's tired. He's been playing matches every 3 - 4 days now. And those horrible flights from South America to Barcelona.

Cal-FCB

Wurzeltron
Just because there wasn't anyone better it doesn't mean u give him a high rating Cal amigo.

Maybe I overrated him on a 7 but he should be nowhere below a 6 IMO. Sub 6 is a bad performance, as in a player made a lot of errors or was totally anonymous. He was crowded out throughout the game yet lost the ball a hell of a lot less than the likes of Iniesta.

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
Why is it considered such? Surely on a scale of 1-10 a rating of 5 should be an "average" (in the non-mathematical sense) performance.

Cal-FCB

Wurzeltron
I know, I've always agreed with that. But you look at ratings given in every newspaper and website, even Football Manager the players start at a 6 and move up or down. Can't beat em, join em.

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
I was just musing, I don't disagree with you at all, for some reason the numbers 1, 2 and 3 don't exist when it comes to player ratings.

Tomba11

If we talk about rating players I always keep an eye on what the local papers gives them.

Messi got a 2 yesterday, which means he was below expectations
This is his grades there during the 10 games of the season: - (he rested) , 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 3, 3, 2, 2

4 is outstanding, 3 is good, 2 is so-so, 1 is bad
I don't know if they give out 5's, don't think so. Then a 2 would be like 4-6/10
It's better to have only 4 different numbers to dish out, instead of having 10 but only using 4 (6-7-8-9).
FYI, Marquez got a 1 yesterday

http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/gen/...rde-contra-el-rubin-kazan-en-el-camp-nou.html

Last edited:

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
this is why ratings are a mugs game.

he always comes back from argentina with no form and has to play his way back to quality. he was very poor against valencia, showing little to nothing. yesterday, however, he looked a lot more lively and always wanted the ball. he created some good chances and showed more sharpness in his dribbling.

so he's getting better. which is what matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans