10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darko

Yeah I know, its just that i'm so annoyed at how predictable his penalties are, its the same thing everytime. To make matters worse, the one time he tried someething different, he hit the post. Any other player and the coach would be telling him to "step aside son and let someone else have a shot".

THIS

K

kroki223

His penalties aren't predictable! He didn't make different just against Chelsea. He made similar penalties. Check it, please!

J

jiopi

His penalties aren't predictable! He didn't make different just against Chelsea. He made similar penalties. Check it, please!
Correct, the penalty discussion is same time funny, but also frustrating as half the people don't even know what they are talking about.

14 scored penalties this season Barca:

Right bottom corner 5
Right upper corner 4
Left bottom corner 2
Left upper corner 2
Middle 1

He's good penalty taker, which 80% conversion rate suggest. Sometimes I just think his concentration gets him in pointless penalties, he only missed two important ones in his career, against Chelsea and Sevilla last season. Cronaldo on the other hand has missed in UCL semifinals twice and once in final.

Last edited:
X

xaviniesta

Correct, the penalty discussion is same time funny, but also frustrating as half the people don't even know what they are talking about.

14 scored penalties this season Barca:

Right bottom corner 5
Right upper corner 4
Left bottom corner 2
Left upper corner 2
Middle 1

He's good penalty taker, which 80% conversion rate suggest. Sometimes I just think his concentration gets him in pointless penalties, he only missed two important ones in his career, against Chelsea and Sevilla last season. Cronaldo on the other hand has missed in UCL semifinals twice and once in final.

thats a very good post :beer2:

people only see the bad things. like the chelsea or sevilla miss. what about the big penalties he has scored in his career. lets start with u-20 final where he score 2 pens. copa america 2011 against uruguay in penalty shootout where he was the first one to take and the ref made him wait there like a minute but still scored. against espanyol in 08/09 in the 15th extra minute or something like that, made it 2-1. against arsenal in 10/11, the penalty that got barca trhough to quarter final. against real madrid, 1-1 in bernabeu. against ac milan last season home and away, got barca through to semis, scored against portugal and spain etc.

please, don't turn messi into valdes who always gets slammed after his very few mistakes. it's like 13 friday. you know that nothing will happen to you, but IF it does, you know what to blame right? que injusticia

J

jiopi

people only see the bad things. like the chelsea or sevilla miss. what about the big penalties he has scored in his career. lets start with u-20 final where he score 2 pens. copa america 2011 against uruguay in penalty shootout where he was the first one to take and the ref made him wait there like a minute but still scored. against espanyol in 08/09 in the 15th extra minute or something like that, made it 2-1. against arsenal in 10/11, the penalty that got barca trhough to quarter final. against real madrid, 1-1 in bernabeu. against ac milan last season home and away, got barca through to semis, scored against portugal and spain etc.

please, don't turn messi into valdes who always gets slammed after his very few mistakes. it's like 13 friday. you know that nothing will happen to you, but IF it does, you know what to blame right? que injusticia
Great points also. Messi's conversion rate is actually about same as Ronaldinho had in Europe. Who actually was bad? Eto'o at Barca. He scored only like 5/12, 42% or something like that. Villa has the best conversion rate at players in Barca, who have taken a lot of penalties. But his self esteem was so low in the first half of the season, that I wouldn't have trusted him to take them then, and then he got injured.

I've have great scheme for Messi to enhance his image on goalies. Take every pointless penalty hard on top corners or something like that, even when you miss it you miss it in style. :D Then when the time comes, just place it in bottom corners.

Last edited:

Hatem Ben Arfa

who is slamming him?

Some just think it is time for another penalty taker to step up. I nominate David Villa. It would be good for him to get some confidence back with a few goals.

K

kroki223

who is slamming him?

Some just think it is time for another penalty taker to step up. I nominate David Villa. It would be good for him to get some confidence back with a few goals.

I don't think, that other will score penalty. It's for Messi. he can do penalties well, but he is a little deconcentrate, than he makes mistake. He has to take the responsibility.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Gabriel Milito on Radio La Plata

"For me, Leo is the best player in history. It's impossible for me to imagine anyone was better."

"I know Messi's mentality and way of thinking, and I'm convinced this is just the beginning."

Darko

I was just putting Villas La Liga penalty conversion rate beacuse it is about the same number of penalties as Messis overall number of penalties,Im sure Villas overall penalty conversion rate is >90%

J

jiopi

I was just putting Villas La Liga penalty conversion rate beacuse it is about the same number of penalties as Messis overall number of penalties,Im sure Villas overall penalty conversion rate is >90%
Yeah it's probably better, Messi's overall numbers are deflated mostly by Copa Del Rey, 1/5. I still wouldn't have used Villa last season, because of the self-esteem issues. Nor would I change the penalty taker now because of: potenttial impact on Messi, because Messi nowadays could be better penalty taker than Villa (the numbers are the past), and we don't even know Villa's overall form yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans