10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yannick03

It is amazing that after all this years a lot of us still haven't learn that Leo is smart enough to distribute his forces over the season. He will be in form when Barca needs him the most aka after January. With Argentina he looks very sharp, with us he can afford to save his powers during matches. Also he doesn't need to run around all the time anymore to be decisive for us. He is still the same genius and after January he'll be in top form. But I can't stop wondering what his stats are going to be then. He is continuing his scoring form from last season with a worse form. Scoring 10 goals in 7 matches when he is in a bad form, for any other player in the world this would mean he is in the form of his life. Leo really is Messiclass, above worldclass.

X

xaviniesta

revista de la liga... I know it's only Guillem, but the other guy in there seemed to believe him

yep, he told that messi didn't spoke to pep in 3 days after that. and he also played every minute since basicly. but you never know with guillem as you said.

F

Flavia

Barcastuff
Menotti (coach ARG 1978): "If Leo plays bad, Barça plays with 11 and a half players. If he plays brilliantly, they play with 13." [cope]

Pretty much.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
revista de la liga... I know it's only Guillem, but the other guy in there seemed to believe him

It was baseless innuendo and Guillem is the last person to either have a clue on insider information or be privy to what happens at Barcelona - he's more persona non grata in that regard and has never scooped anything club related

That being said, it could be true, no one knows one way or another but Balague has zero credibility and routinely passes idol chatter off as evidence

I just wish he'd stop grinning like some sort of devious rat

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
This is stupid... Of course Messi is not making runs as often, dribbling less and less, looking for the pass first and going back to midfield to get the ball... It's called adapting his game! When he has at least 3 players tracking him down every minute, when defenses form a wall against him, when every single coach is trying to find a way to stop him, then the smart thing to do is to change his style!

That speaks volumes about his dedication, his compromise and his greatness... He's doing what's best for him and the team without complaining and giving 100%, something not every player is willing to do... I think of him as one of the biggest athletes in history: Michael Jordan. When he noticed he couldn't fly by pass defenses anymore and that opposition was playing a harder game on him, he totally adapted his game to remain on top, he perfected his trademark fade away jumper, his defensive game, his passing game and his overall understanding of basketball, allowing him to lift both his individual and team performances to legendary status... And this is the path Leo is following...

X

xaviniesta

Barcastuff
Menotti (coach ARG 1978): "If Leo plays bad, Barça plays with 11 and a half players. If he plays brilliantly, they play with 13." [cope]

Pretty much.

epic words from an epic man :worthy: well said.

Yannick03

This is stupid... Of course Messi is not making runs as often, dribbling less and less, looking for the pass first and going back to midfield to get the ball... It's called adapting his game! When he has at least 3 players tracking him down every minute, when defenses form a wall against him, when every single coach is trying to find a way to stop him, then the smart thing to do is to change his style!

That speaks volumes about his dedication, his compromise and his greatness... He's doing what's best for him and the team without complaining and giving 100%, something not every player is willing to do... I think of him as one of the biggest athletes in history: Michael Jordan. When he noticed he couldn't fly by pass defenses anymore and that opposition was playing a harder game on him, he totally adapted his game to remain on top, he perfected his trademark fade away jumper, his defensive game, his passing game and his overall understanding of basketball, allowing him to lift both his individual and team performances to legendary status... And this is the path Leo is following...

:worthy:

DennyCrane

I must admit it's true Messi seems to be playing differently than before. His runs are far less common, he waits for the ball way back in midfield and usually looks for the pass now... It still is efficient, but something about him makes me think he's not 100 % okay, either mentally or physically. :/

No need to worry, I think. It just gets more difficult with every match for him to penetrate defenses on his own or with simple one-twos simply because defenses adapt. I think of it more as an evolution to a classic #10. He's more and more involved in the actual build-up, looks to dictate play, convert passes into assists and play through-balls - and still scores.
On a personal note, I'd like to see a revival of the classic #10; and if Leo's involved it's even better.

Paganinisrvnge

Awesome post. This is why Messi will be the unquestionable GOAT when it's all said and done. Most of us here agree that there shouldn't even be a comparison between Messi and Penaldo but there will be no doubt that Messi is better to even the most casual fan when Penaldo fades into obscurity when he hits 30/31 due to losing pace and athleticism. Messi will adapt and become more of a classic number 10. Don't be surprised if Messi's world cup destiny is not Brazil 2014 but in fact Russia 2018. I hope it's Brazil, though, as the Messi haters will be insufferable if Argentina don't win the world cup in 2014.

Yannick03

Awesome post. This is why Messi will be the unquestionable GOAT when it's all said and done. Most of us here agree that there shouldn't even be a comparison between Messi and Penaldo but there will be no doubt that Messi is better to even the most casual fan when Penaldo fades into obscurity when he hits 30/31 due to losing pace and athleticism. Messi will adapt and become more of a classic number 10. Don't be surprised if Messi's world cup destiny is not Brazil 2014 but in fact Russia 2018. I hope it's Brazil, though, as the Messi haters will be insufferable if Argentina don't win the world cup in 2014.

If he keeps playing this way and breaking records like he is doing now, he doesn't even has to win the WC. 10 Ballon d'Ors should do the trick.

PearLBLacK

Banned
Do they know who Iniesta is? Or Xavi? Ozil? Alonso? Villa? Any barca player besides Messi and any Real player besides Ronaldo?

Most Americans don't know much about football except Hamm and Donovan, and whatever former great player that chose to retire among them.

Pepe Silvia

Lionel Messi is the most popular soccer player in America, #16 most popular athlete, David Beckham #20, C.Ronaldo #24.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/name/relegationzone/id/262?cc=5739
cool story, but la liga and serie a disappeared from millions of usa tv sets (including my own) when we were already paying extraordinary prices to even watch in the first place. now we are reduced to streaming most games (aside from epl, champions and other sa football). the overall number of viewers wont rise until tv deals are worked out and prioritized correctly. currently us and japan are second fiddle to china in terms of priority and expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans