10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stric

Posted on Barca's FB profile with the caption "Why is this photo historic?". Because Messi is on the bench? :D

lessthanjake

Beckenbauer tips him for 4th Ballon d'Or. :)

Btw. Are there legends of such caliber that tip Ronaldo?

Also, who else thinks that Messi not winning the award would actually come good for Barca and Argentina?

How could Messi not win, though?

Notwithstanding Mourinho's statements, I do not see how Ronaldo could get the award. To be sure, Ronaldo is playing FANTASTICALLY. His goalscoring is absolutely insane. The problem is that Messi's goalscoring is actually marginally MORE absurd. Meanwhile, Messi's playmaking is much better. It is really hard to say that Ronaldo is a better individual player when Messi is better at Ronaldo's best thing (goalscoring) and otherwise, Messi is undoubtedly superior. Despite that, though, Ronaldo could legitimately win the Ballon D'or despite being a lesser individual player if his team did much better than Messi's. However, both guy's teams went out in the semis of the CL (and both missed crucial penalties in their loss). Ronaldo's team won La Liga, but Messi's won Copa Del Rey. La Liga > Copa Del Rey, so RM did have a better year than Barca last year, BUT the difference isn't vast enough to really justify giving the award to Ronaldo despite a clear gap in individual quality. As for national team success, Portugal did well to get to the semis of Euro2012, but getting to the semis doesn't exactly win you the Ballon D'or, especially when Argentina has been very successful in their matches this calendar year. It also bears noting that the award is for calendar year, so team success so far this season does matter. RM won the Spanish Super Cup, but given the Liga standings right now, I think it would be hard to argue RM has actually had a better season so far.

Here's how I see it. Messi is better than Ronaldo by a significant amount individually. To overcome this gap in individual quality, Ronaldo would have to have much greater team success than Messi this past year to warrant getting the Ballon D'or. Ronaldo HAS had greater team success than Messi this past year, but by a very slim margin such that it would be illogical to use that as a pretense to give him the award.

abual3bed1

What year is that photo of Leo?

I think it might be in 2004. season 04/05 in a game at CdR. I can recognize damia right next to Leo. Christian as well is second from right.

maybe it's historic because it was the 1st time for Leo to make it to 1st team bench.

sabby

326800_10151351341539305_917375547_o.jpg

Whoa !! Is that Jordi Alba 2nd from right ? :lol:

BarcaGirl

Today in 2004 Messi made his senior debut for Barcelona in La Liga match against Espanyol. He replaced Deco in the 82nd minute.

What a player he has become. :worthy:

Last edited:

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
8 years, insane really...He could be dominating for another 8 years...It's incomprehensible

k9ccb6.jpg

Last edited:

Paganinisrvnge

How could Messi not win, though?

Notwithstanding Mourinho's statements, I do not see how Ronaldo could get the award. To be sure, Ronaldo is playing FANTASTICALLY. His goalscoring is absolutely insane. The problem is that Messi's goalscoring is actually marginally MORE absurd. Meanwhile, Messi's playmaking is much better. It is really hard to say that Ronaldo is a better individual player when Messi is better at Ronaldo's best thing (goalscoring) and otherwise, Messi is undoubtedly superior. Despite that, though, Ronaldo could legitimately win the Ballon D'or despite being a lesser individual player if his team did much better than Messi's. However, both guy's teams went out in the semis of the CL (and both missed crucial penalties in their loss). Ronaldo's team won La Liga, but Messi's won Copa Del Rey. La Liga > Copa Del Rey, so RM did have a better year than Barca last year, BUT the difference isn't vast enough to really justify giving the award to Ronaldo despite a clear gap in individual quality. As for national team success, Portugal did well to get to the semis of Euro2012, but getting to the semis doesn't exactly win you the Ballon D'or, especially when Argentina has been very successful in their matches this calendar year. It also bears noting that the award is for calendar year, so team success so far this season does matter. RM won the Spanish Super Cup, but given the Liga standings right now, I think it would be hard to argue RM has actually had a better season so far.

Here's how I see it. Messi is better than Ronaldo by a significant amount individually. To overcome this gap in individual quality, Ronaldo would have to have much greater team success than Messi this past year to warrant getting the Ballon D'or. Ronaldo HAS had greater team success than Messi this past year, but by a very slim margin such that it would be illogical to use that as a pretense to give him the award.

This is exactly what I've been saying to people for a couple months now. If Ronaldo had won the Euros or Champions League then he would have a chance but he didn't.

J

jiopi

If a player who broke

- Uefa Champions League scoring record (14)
- La Liga scoring record (50)
- Spanish scoring record (73)
- 39 year old European scoring record (73, Gerd Müller 67 in 1973)
- 87 year old World scoring record (73, Archie Stark 71 in 1925)
- 54 year old World scoring record for club+nt (82, Pele 77 in 1959)

, also having the most assists,

, loses to a player who was in La Liga winning team, there is something really wrong with the prize.

Last edited:
M

mitkoa7x

If a player who broke

- Uefa Champions League scoring record (14)
- La Liga scoring record (50)
- Spanish scoring record (73)
- 39 year old European scoring record (73, Gerd Müller 67 in 1973)
- 87 year old World scoring record (73, Archie Stark 71 in 1925)
- 54 year old World scoring record for club+nt (82, Pele 77 in 1959)

, also having the most assists,

, loses to a player who was in La Liga winning team, there is something really wrong with the prize.

This!

Messi just needs 8 or 9 goals in 2012 to beat Pele's rec if my memory serves me correct.

K

kroki223

This video is very good. I think he gave a ot of very good balls in Copa America last year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans