10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kixer

He made some great passes for his teammates. I didn't see Xavi, Iniesta and co. returning the favor.
He also played deep and much of the second half even behind Alexis.

For Messi standard it may have been a below par. But compared to the rest.. He was actually among better performers.
So true. And Messi can't be inhuman all the time by scoring 4-5 goals per game lol.

J

jtmx12

He seems like scoring from every freekick now.

Sadly he didn't score, but he does REALLY look like an expert with freekicks now. Those shoots were very very close. Seems like Messi just made a master in freekicks. Oh Boy, another facet where Messi is 200% better than Ronaldo.

Me55i D105

I don't get why his teammates try to pass him when he is crowded and not try to shoot themselves . Instead they lose the ball or get blocked because everyone knows they will pass Messi, is this an order or is it because they feel insecure about their own ability. If they would at least sometimes shoot themselves when they are close to goal instead of passing, the defenders might have less marking on Messi and it will open things up more.

In this match, Iniesta and the others had space to shoot but instead they pass Messi who is guarded by 4-5 defenders, it makes things frustrating and that makes the passing slower and more sideways.

Even despite this ,because of his brilliance he had decent opportunities to score but luck wasn't on his side and the fact that the keeper knew that Messi will shoot he positioned himself in front of him to cover the shot. I think he needs Pedro and Villa doing the defense stretch which made Barcelona great in the 2010/11 season. Now I don't see many breakaway runs or passes and there is more reluctance to stand next to the defenders, everything needs to be built up slowly instead of fast counterattack or breakaway runs/passes. I think it would help a lot if they would bring that back, the times when Villa or Pedro waited for balls and broke away quite a few times made them more unpredictable than now. Most teams teams today know what Barcelona will do and who they will pass and when which makes scoring hard against teams like Chelsea/Celtic.

Dripsnis

I was thinking the same thing, he was heavily marked the whole game. By the way, I don't understand why Alexis is playing, he is destroying every single chance.
And his freekicks..just.. :worthy:

sabby

Don't know how people can say Messi was aweful :O His 2 freekicks were really close, also couple very good saves from the GK. He's just been unlucky that's all. Don't forget, the first goal actually originated from his pass.

M

messi_xavi_iniesta

Wish all barça players had "bad performances" like that. LOL

If he get´s injured barça is finished :(

K

kroki223

I hope Messi will have more luck against big teams with scoring goals. This season Messi didn't score against big teams, just against real. I miss his goal against Sevilla, Valencia, Benfica and Celtic.

alex88bg

For all of you that say messi sucked...Try playing 3 full games in 6 days on 2 different continents as a key player of the team...Bad performance my ass...

Papabeef

For all of you that say messi sucked...Try playing 3 full games in 6 days on 2 different continents as a key player of the team...Bad performance my ass...

Kind of agree, but personally i thought he looked lost a few times when receives the ball, so did Xavi partially because of Celtics Bus placement, Messi in a nutshell for me yesterday was Free kicks looking sharp and a few decent last passes, which by his standards is below average.. think were just an overly demanding spoilt bunch lol... its his fault sort of speak.

Many want to see him break more records and therefore are bemused when Leo is not on the score/assist sheets.

F

Flavia

He was good. A bit uninspired, and even looked tense to me sometimes. But he almost scored 2 or 3 times, made some good passes as well. But no way he sucked, or was bad.

J

jtmx12

And that's his fault as well. None forces him to play every single game, but he wants to, and the coach will let him do that. Having a bad performance is still his fault, IMO. We all wanted him to rest right after he came back from playing with Argentina.

K

kroki223

I don't think that Messi had a bad game! You have to understand that. he didn't have just luck with the finishing. The goalkeeper was very good.I don't think that Messii says when he plays. The coach says it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans