10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corb

Special 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...
Not to start some political debate about something I don't know a whole lot about, but Catalonia really doesn't seem like it is recognized as a nationality by anyone but people in Catalonia. To me it seems analogous to people living in Quebec. They have their own somewhat distinct culture, but everyone thinks of them as Canadian still. Is this not true?

Don't make your opinion a common one, dude. From your point of view Austria and Luxemburg should be Germany, Colombia should be Venezuela or viceversa, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand should be UK, etc...

Last edited:

Henry_IB

Banned
Don't make your opinion a common one, dude. From your point of view Austria and Luxemburg should be Germany, Colombia should be Venezuela or viceversa, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand should be UK, etc...

He's not saying that it is HIS opinion, he's stating what he thinks the general opinion is. And what he says is true, very few people outside of spain think of Catalonia as a seperate state / nationality. People don't they are going to Catalonia when they are going to Barcelona, they say they are going to spain.

And "From your point of view Austria and Luxemburg should be Germany, Colombia should be Venezuela or viceversa, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand should be UK, etc...", that's not what he said and I am not sure you managed to interpret it as that.

M

messi_xavi_iniesta

How can he play tonight while spending the night at the hospital? He probably didn't get a lot of sleep.. I also wonder sometimes how these players, who have small kids sleep? Thiago will be waking up a lot at night so how will messi get enough sleep..

Footballers are not regular people with regular lives. He will sleep all that he needs. lol

Papabeef

Catalonia seek independence from Spain. Does Quebec want to become an independent state, to separate completely from Canada? You are comparing apples and oranges.

Yes this do, and almost did, failed by 1 or 2 votes... I lived in Montreal "Quebec" for a couple of years the things you see and listen to about this issue... for instance on Canada day i remember seeing a couple of 30 something looking hill billy looking fellas in a huge 4x4 car with Quebec flag all over and dragging a big Canada flag on the floor behind, all dirty and torn.. in the middle Canada day street parades.. which are lively in that city due to foreigners impact.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Yes this do, and almost did, failed by 1 or 2 votes... I lived in Montreal "Quebec" for a couple of years the things you see and listen to about this issue... for instance on Canada day i remember seeing a couple of 30 something looking hill billy looking fellas in a huge 4x4 car with Quebec flag all over and dragging a big Canada flag on the floor behind, all dirty and torn.. in the middle Canada day street parades.. which are lively in that city due to foreigners impact.

Nothing is worse than the Quebecois hicks who have the Quebec flag next to a Confederate flag on their trucks.

Most people in Quebec don't want independence though, the number if hard nationalists has went down since the last referendum. Of course thanks to Harper that balance is shifting a bit, but the PQ election was more about opposition to the Liberals incompetence/corruption, tuition hikes, and the far right shift of the rest of Canada than it is about separatism.

There will always be the hardliners who want to drive out everyone who isn't pure laine Quebecois and ban English though. Montreal is actually where most of the Canada haters are though, since it's the one place besides the Ontario border where English is heard every day leading to a hostile minority, most of the belle province is too isolated to care.

Yes they want, support being 40 % against 40 %.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_sovereignty_movement

40% isn't a majority. It's also more like 35% in support, the Le Devoir poll had a political agenda.

Anyway an independent Quebec would be a complete and total disaster, even if I understand the feeling more and more. Canada is increasingly getting ruled by Western Canada, and Western Canadians tend to not understand and hate Quebec.

Last edited:

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
We better don't turn this thread into a political one. Let's talk about Leo.

I wonder what Messi thinks about the Sherbrooke Declaration and Bill 101.

Though considering the man can barely speak Catalan, I can't imagine his French is very good.

Xtroverto

Though considering the man can barely speak Catalan

Has anyone actually heard him speaking Catalan? I mean, he did study it in La Masia so he should be able to say a few words at least. Iniesta I've heard speaking Catalan but I guess to stay out of the political side of it he never ever speak the language in any interviews, not even Barça TV.

Corb

Special 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...
Has anyone actually heard him speaking Catalan? I mean, he did study it in La Masia so he should be able to say a few words at least. Iniesta I've heard speaking Catalan but I guess to stay out of the political side of it he never ever speak the language in any interviews, not even Barça TV.

He is able to understand it for sure. When media ask him in Catalan he always answer.

K

kroki223

I don't understand, why Messi wanted to play. He plays very badly. he won't score today!

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
He is able to understand it for sure. When media ask him in Catalan he always answer.

He claims he can communicate in Catalan but he has no confidence in using it to the media so I'm guessing it's pretty grim. Not that I'm one to judge, I can understand a hell of a lot more Castilian (and to a lesser extent French) than I can speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans