10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry_IB

Banned
I've never sincerely wanted someone else to do well as badly as I want Messi to do. I really hope he wins the world cup with Argentina so that he gets the recogniztion he deserves. I think that anyone who actually knows football would say he is the best throughout time, sadly many people mistaken player ability with achievements. Maradonna and Pele might have achieved more (world cup and anyone who says they won it on their own haven't watched the world cups), but I don't see how anyone can say that they are actually better play-wise than Messi. I'd bet my left shoe that Pele and Maradonna would never achieve the results Messi does in modern day football.

Caps

@Bilal Khan I love that Iniesta/Xavi hybrid picture. And actually, if I can go all gay a moment, I think Xaviesta is a rather good looking man!

@Henry, I agree. As great as Pele etc were, I think the quality of football has dramatically improved and (I may be setting myself up for ridicule) believe that if either were playing today, neither would be praised as the greatest of all time (though they would be up there of course). After saying he wasn't quite there 2 years ago or so, it has to be said now. Messi is the greatest player of all time. Yes, he is better than Maradona IMO. Thats all. Cheerio.

Last edited:

Hatem Ben Arfa

@Bilal Khan I love that Iniesta/Xavi hybrid picture. And actually, if I can go all gay a moment, I think Xaviesta is a rather good looking man!

@Henry, I agree. As great as Pele etc were, I think the quality of football has dramatically improved and (I may be setting myself up for ridicule) believe that if either were playing today, neither would be praised as the greatest of all time (though they would be up there of course). After saying he wasn't quite there 2 years ago or so, it has to be said now. Messi is the greatest player of all time. Yes, he is better than Maradona IMO. Thats all. Cheerio.

If Pele or Maradona were still playing today they would both be praised as the greatest of all time. Same if Puskas or Di Stefano were still playing.

Caps

As one of the greatest. As up there with the greatest. I just don't think we'd be saying Maradona is the greatest. Honestly, I know that sounds mad.
It's simply true that football is harder in this era, due to the increase in quality of defenders, strategy etc. Also the quality of players as a whole has increased. I think Messi would tear defenses apart in Diegos era more than Diego would. The only thing is that in Diegos era, players received a lot less protection, play was more rough etc. So of course, you could argue that Diego would have it easier now than he did then. I guess we just can't compare different players in different eras sufficiently. But I stick by what I said- Maradona and Pele would not be quite as good now as they were then. They are both OUTSTANDING. But I don't think would be quite as good if playing now. Don't misunderstand me, they'd still be unbelieveably good (because they are/were).

Its just a fact of life. The quality in big sports will just get better and better.

I'm not saying Maradona and Pele arent great, or that time only makes them seem it. no, no, no. Just that it has to be accepted, that football and its players have increased in quality. If Maradona were in this generation, he'd actually be better than he was then! :O He'd still have his own natural talent, plus the training styles of today. Training and teaching and learning in football is so much more than it was. Players learn to hone their natural talents better.

I guess what I'm saying is, were Maradona of this generation, he'd probably be even better than we know him. And were Messi of Maradonas generation, he'd be ever-so-slightly below what we see today.

Or maybe I'm just talking crap and will read this tomorrow and ask myself... "what were you on?! Idiot!"

Spooge

I've never sincerely wanted someone else to do well as badly as I want Messi to do. I really hope he wins the world cup with Argentina so that he gets the recogniztion he deserves. I think that anyone who actually knows football would say he is the best throughout time, sadly many people mistaken player ability with achievements. Maradonna and Pele might have achieved more (world cup and anyone who says they won it on their own haven't watched the world cups), but I don't see how anyone can say that they are actually better play-wise than Messi. I'd bet my left shoe that Pele and Maradonna would never achieve the results Messi does in modern day football.

I'm the same.

Hes unfortunate, this isnt a very good argentine side.

lots of attacking flair, but a mediocre midfield and utterly shit defence.

Id absolutely love it if he led Argentina to a world cup, however unlikely that may be.

Whatever happens, hes hands down the greatest footballer I have seen.

B

barcelonista

Pelé REALLY played in the stone age. Do you see this offside trap?

Pelé played even 20 years before that ... Football today and football in the 50s and 60s is not even the same sport anymore. I believe even today's women's football teams would beat the famous Brazil team from the 60s.

Maradona on the other hand seems underrated here. It's not only his World Cup achievements. Napoli finished 10th in 1982 / 1983 and 12th in 1983 / 1984. Maradona joined them in the summer of 1984. 1986 Napoli finished 3th. 1987 they became champions for the first time in their history. And in 1990 again. Playing in a league together with Sacchi's famous Milan team with Baresi and Maldini in defense. As much as I love Messi. Maradona WAS a one man army and it's not a shame to be considered being a level below him. Although Messi is the closest thing to Maradona I have ever seen and he's still only 24 and improving. Maradona's godmode started when he was around 26.

Barcafan 2304

'I believe even today's women's football teams would beat the famous Brazil team from the 60s'.

Utter rubbish, really is. These were highly skillful players, great's of the game. They have stood the test of time and were brilliant. Shocker of a statement

oggmar

Expect Messi to be spitting flames around him tonight guys.

Also yes Stokebarca, that has to be the overstatement of the year.

T

tariqo

Pelé REALLY played in the stone age. Do you see this offside trap?

Pelé played even 20 years before that ... Football today and football in the 50s and 60s is not even the same sport anymore. I believe even today's women's football teams would beat the famous Brazil team from the 60s.

+1

M

mitkoa7x

I just ripped my messi shirt off!!!!! i regret it already tho but still :angry:

Villa should be our penalty taker btw....

Bilal Khan

Tito > Mou
haha finally when he got the penalty, he missed it. 90% of the time he hits it on bottom right, with no power.
he has missed 5-6 penalties now.
cesc should take em.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans