408037_366644480017050_222607961087370_1651773_1713841672_n.jpg

it's like they forget any other Barca player also exists :lol:

Last edited:

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Just had to quote this awesome post first. :beer2:
:beer2:

Hm... If I say only 'Ibr' will that get you into your Pep mode? :D
:lol: This world is weird bro... Such a small difference between them yet such a huge one!!

HAHA, that happens every time! Messi must be thinking "If only I could play you every match you fools!!"

He was probably in awe, watching Messi play.
He must be thinking "Why no body bothers to mark me yet so many run after him!? I'm the handsome one after all!!"

zanela

Messi played a tactical role, acting as a decoy and keeping opp. Jerseys occupied(the winning goal came from it). And by doing so in midfield, he afforded time and space for the likes of Cesc, Iniesta and Alexis upfront. Also by curbing his attacking instincts, he was vital in ball retention and used the ball wisely, one to the team's advantage. A clinical and composed performance, that will go on to benefit La Selección. His incisive passing in the first half and the deciding chip were the highlights for me.

His passing and vision were always an asset. And I think Pep is beginning to exploit that, both from a tactical and player's perspective.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
His passing and vision were always an asset. And I think Pep is beginning to exploit that, both from a tactical and player's perspective.

As I already said, :cesc: would play an important role in that... By sharing some of Messi's load of scoring goals

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Reading through the last few pages is really sad to read but I'll just speak on the performance from last night and move forward. He had a WONDERFUL performance last night. He was purposely quiet last night (all strategy) because of all the defenders he had glued to him. Drawing defenders deep was the most genius thing Pep could have done (did you notice how much space Alexis aka MOM had because of it?) It was a thing of beauty to watch Leo in action for all the little things he did. His runs were perfectly and patiently made and his assist for Abidal was magnificent (as stated play of the match and deciding factor of match to boot). Leo is truly a work of art.

great post.

like you say, he basically played as a full-on midfielder yesterday, creating a mismatch in the middle of the park and ensuring that Cesc or Busi (or even Xavi sometimes) was nearly always free on the ball, as well as creating space for Alexis to work.

twas an excellent execution of 31411.

:pep:

cristiano should have tracked him i suppose..

no suppose, he definitely should have tracked him.

but that's Cristiano. he's just hanging there, hoping the ball will break to Real so he can sprint upfield and use his pace to maybe get a chance.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
;)

Since I'm guilty of the offensive behaviour mentioned in this part of the post, I think I'm entitled to reply, right?
Well, what's so wrong with the occasional banter or wind-up? As long as it's kept on a reasonable level, is done with affection and with a little bit of relevance, there should be nothing wrong. You can't be serious all of the time. A bit of good-spirited trolling never hurt anyone, just look at the Cesc thread!

nothing's wrong with a little bit of anything.

but it's not occasional, not in certain threads. it's everywhere.

I mean this is nothing new. the Zlatan thread was like this, then the Cesc thread (this is basically unreadable now thanks to Nolan and Estel), then it was Suarez and Villa's turn, and now apparently Messi is the troll target!

it just poisons the atmosphere.

As for the Messi dribbling part... he HAS become slower, it's pretty apparent, isn't it?
I'll edit this post and add some quotes soon.
Agreed. He looks a bit labored taking on players, may be because of the extra mass he's gained. He's definitely not as quick as he used to be.

But hey we must be haters, so what do we know?

if you people had raised this complaint during 09/10, you would have had some ground to stand on, because there's no doubt that Messi's dribbling style changed once Pep arrived, and this really took effect in the second season. the alterations in diet and such, plus his natural aging, saw him increase mass and lose that zip he had. but it was a fair trade-off because now he's much stronger and more robust, which is very important considering the beatings he takes.

but to say Messi's dribbling has changed between now and 2010? it's ludicrous. his role on the pitch has changed, so he doesn't get the ball with as much momentum as he used to, and that may explain the "slowing down" you weird people are experiencing, but he's lost none of his ability to beat a man at speed. he still routinely beats guys off the dribble with pace (there's a fantastic example as recently as his assist for Alexis in the Bernabeu in December). and if you question his speed decreasing since 2010 I suggest you watch the home game against Plzen again.

he's slowed down since Pep arrived, but that was 4 years ago. in that time his dribbling hasn't gotten worse. his position has changed so he's attacking defenders in different ways, plus they've had more time to study and prepare for him, but to suggest he's lost something is fucking retarded and really makes it seem to me as though you're just being contrary to piss people off. so it's no wonder you're got the reaction you did from others, because you came across like ungrateful little plastic fans who have no idea what it's really like to support a football team.

Messi has three games where he doesn't absolutely own everything in sight and looks a bit sluggish and all of a sudden he's gained mass and lost his dribbling ability? fuck outta here.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
I think Pep must be surely restricting him on his dribbles because for one it'd result in him losing possession, secondly increase the chances of stupid tackles and then it'd deteriorate his decision making!!

Hatem Ben Arfa

nothing's wrong with a little bit of anything.

but it's not occasional, not in certain threads. it's everywhere.

I mean this is nothing new. the Zlatan thread was like this, then the Cesc thread (this is basically unreadable now thanks to Nolan and Estel), then it was Suarez and Villa's turn, and now apparently Messi is the troll target!

it just poisons the atmosphere.

if you people had raised this complaint during 09/10, you would have had some ground to stand on, because there's no doubt that Messi's dribbling style changed once Pep arrived, and this really took effect in the second season. the alterations in diet and such, plus his natural aging, saw him increase mass and lose that zip he had. but it was a fair trade-off because now he's much stronger and more robust, which is very important considering the beatings he takes.

but to say Messi's dribbling has changed between now and 2010? it's ludicrous. his role on the pitch has changed, so he doesn't get the ball with as much momentum as he used to, and that may explain the "slowing down" you weird people are experiencing, but he's lost none of his ability to beat a man at speed. he still routinely beats guys off the dribble with pace (there's a fantastic example as recently as his assist for Alexis in the Bernabeu in December). and if you question his speed decreasing since 2010 I suggest you watch the home game against Plzen again.

he's slowed down since Pep arrived, but that was 4 years ago. in that time his dribbling hasn't gotten worse. his position has changed so he's attacking defenders in different ways, plus they've had more time to study and prepare for him, but to suggest he's lost something is fucking retarded and really makes it seem to me as though you're just being contrary to piss people off. so it's no wonder you're got the reaction you did from others, because you came across like ungrateful little plastic fans who have no idea what it's really like to support a football team.

Messi has three games where he doesn't absolutely own everything in sight and looks a bit sluggish and all of a sudden he's gained mass and lost his dribbling ability? fuck outta here.

calme....

Messi is slower than last season (as well as 09/10).

I had a nagging suspscion that this might be the case in 1st La Liga classico, but the recent game against Betis confirmed it for me when he was played in while between two defenders and went on a run. I thought to myself Messi must be tired and need a rest or something, because normally he would blaze right by those defenders leaving theem for dead. After saying this someone pointed out that he had just come off an extended break after the CWC 2011 and said it might be the fact that he has bulked up that he appears to be noticeably slower (by HIS standards of course).

Just because a few posters make that observation, does not make them 'ungrateful little plastic fans with no idea what it is like to support a real football team' as you put it.

Messi 2011/2012
@1:11

Messi 2010/2011
@0:42

as for the Plzen game, there is only one play where skips by a guy and uses his pace but it is still not as fast 09/10 or that clip of 10/11 above, however no one is saying he's Del Pierro. He still has pace to beat a man, but he has appeared to be noticeably slower than last season. I'm not the only one to notice it, and we are not saying it to be haters. we all love Messi and are grateful for every moment of joy he gives us on the pitch. you are trying to make it sound like we are all against him because we dare make an observation or two that is does not reflect upon him in the following manner; :worthy: and discuss the possible reasons why.

no one is trolling ffs! so quit the hostility. If people think Messi has not played well in a few games on the trot, people are entitled to say so and give their reasons why and discuss and debate.

Just like people were entitled to comment on David Villa's form in the 2nd half of last season and this season.

Last edited:

zanela

And this is what you inferred from my post. Stating he looks labored getting past players don't equate to losing his dribbling ability. It might be his body frame thats giving the impression. But the drop in pace was not a sudden scrutiny but one i made couple of years ago. I brought this up in a private chat with Gneg, but i don't 've transcript, so i can't prove it. Leo is not a kick and rush player for him to struggle getting past player with loss of pace, his dribbling relies on sharp footwork and body feints. And he can still dribble at pace, but on a foot race he's being kept up (watch #3 betis player keeping pace with him) when a messi of few years ago would 've outpaced them all. Whilst he's developed as a player in every aspect, he has lost a bit of his menacing pace owing to a change of position and its requirements. Thats not to say he's lesser player today, and no one is suggesting that. I certainly 'm not. It was just a harmless observation made on my part and some others. But you can disagree, you're entitled to do so. And no where did i have a go at him for his very recent performances. So it's defintely not something born out of frustration as much you want it to look like. If an honest observation makes me an "ungrateful little platic fan" then so be it. My loyalty and commitment is very much my own, and it needs no seal of approval from yourself or anyone else here.

Consider this to be my last to 've engaged in any kind of dialogue with you. Despite all efforts, the patronizing nature of your discourse remains a constant.

Hatem Ben Arfa

And this is what you inferred from my post. Stating he looks labored getting past players don't equate to losing his dribbling ability. It might be his body frame thats giving the impression. But the drop in pace was not a sudden scrutiny but one i made couple of years ago. I brought this up in a private chat with Gneg, but i don't 've transcript, so i can't prove it. Leo is not a kick and rush player for him to struggle getting past player with loss of pace, his dribbling relies on sharp footwork and body feints. And he can still dribble at pace, but on a foot race he's being kept up (watch #3 betis player keeping pace with him) when a messi of few years ago would 've outpaced them all. Whilst he's developed as a player in every aspect, he has lost a bit of his menacing pace owing to a change of position and its requirements. Thats not to say he's lesser player today, and no one is suggesting that. I certainly 'm not. It was just a harmless observation made on my part and some others. But you can disagree, you're entitled to do so. And no where did i have a go at him for his very recent performances. So it's defintely not something born out of frustration as much you want it to look like. If an honest observation makes me an "ungrateful little platic fan" then so be it. My loyalty and commitment is very much my own, and it needs no seal of approval from yourself or anyone else here.

Consider this to be my last to 've engaged in any kind of dialogue with you. Despite all efforts, the patronizing nature of your discourse remains a constant.

well said

B

barcelonista

Messi 2011/2012
@1:11

Messi 2010/2011
@0:42

What a weird comparison. In the first clip (against Betis) he's receiving the ball deep in his own half, making a 50 yard run, being closed down by 3 players and slowing down because of a defender infront of him. In the second clip he's receiving the ball 20 yards ahead of the halfway line, covering only like 15 yards, being tracked by only 1 player with no one infront of him. If you ignore the players infront and to the right of Messi in the Betis clip, you have the same situation as in the Osasuna clip. One player (the one to the left) not keeping up with him.

He's never been fast on long distances anyway. Kaka left for him dead back in 2006. And Kaka was with the ball at his feet:

He obviously gained mass. So he might have a lost a little bit of pace, noticeable on long distances. But that's surely not worth a 10 page discussion here and it surely hasn't turned out to be a disadvantage as some try to portray it here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans