10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I payed attention to using 'Through balls' not 'Assists', Of course he can assist with his crosses, But it's kind of limited compared in regard to creativity with what he can usually do in the middle.
As for the goals, He can make a run to the inside from the right then use his left foot to score, This was his trade mark back when he was operating on the right wing years ago.

well as a right winger he really wouldn't cross that much at Barcelona. He'd probably play cutback passes or layoffs and maybe lofted through balls from the right side.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I mostly expect runs similar to this:
Starts at 0:40

Ah, that's the kind of killer instinct and frenzy i want to see in Messi's eyes. He's looked tame recently and has lost some of the winning spirit. It's not permanent obviously but when he and the team start rising back up to form, we'll go back to the winning ways.

Stric

I payed attention to using 'Through balls' not 'Assists', Of course he can assist with his crosses, But it's kind of limited compared in regard to creativity with what he can usually do in the middle.
As for the goals, He can make a run to the inside from the right then use his left foot to score, This was his trade mark back when he was operating on the right wing years ago.

Sorry about that, my bad. I meant to say through balls, as well. He could still provide some from the right, it's not as if he'd be glued to the touchline at all times. +1 on the second part, as well.

Garrus

Ah, that's the kind of killer instinct and frenzy i want to see in Messi's eyes. He's looked tame recently and has lost some of the winning spirit. It's not permanent obviously but when he and the team start rising back up to form, we'll go back to the winning ways.
The problem is that he's been amazing this season, Saved our asses countless of times, But you're right, He's missing a certain flare.

I want this flare back in the return leg
:worthy::worthy::worthy:

misterplatin

I've said this before in discussions, The whole false 9 thing can be a disaster against compact and well organized defences. Messi drops all the way to the half line and there is literally no one up front. If we are to play for the success of the team and not just for Messi's goals, the best thing would be to move him to the wings, Where he still could manage to score enough goals(rememeber he did a great job in his first 2 season playing there) and bring in a strong attacker thats not standing 5'7.

Someone like Falcao would be Ideal, His movement is excellent and can stand shoulder-shoulder with the defenders and most importantly has the right character/attitude. We don't have to necessarily play him through the middle all the time, But could be much useful in games where teams try to overwhelm us physically. Maybe in regular Liga games, Messi could still play through the middle and use Falcao on the wings just like we did with Villa.

Maybe Jackson Martinez is what we need .I like the way he plays .He is cheaper and has the right attitude .

M

mikecraig

We almost won the treble in 2011 with Messi at false 9 (and that's after an average season in 2010, when Messi was playing on the wing and we had Ibra playing in the center). Just sayin. IMO, if we get a forward, it should be someone to score from the wings, like Villa. There isn't anything wrong with Messi at false 9. However, we do rely a little too much on Messi for goals. But someone to score goals from the wing would fix that problem. No need to move Messi from his best position to use a "true" 9 in the center.

Just my 2 cents.

It is a lot easier to find a CF who can get 40 goals a season than a winger
Messi as false 9 reduced the performance of every body else cause he keeps running into their space and demanding for the ball
We already have the best central Mids in the world who always control games why do we need to give them Messi's help

M

mikecraig

If we are so desperate to play Messi in de Middle why don't we just sell Iniesta and Xavi, add an additional DM and play Messi as a classic no 10 so we will not miss out on his super influence in the middle

Garrus

When i said middle i didn't mean it as a midfielder, But as the middle of the front line as in Villa-messi-Pedro.

M

mikecraig

When i said middle i didn't mean it as a midfielder, But as the middle of the front line as in Villa-messi-Pedro.
But when he plays false 9 he does tend to end up in the midfield creating a huge void in attack like we saw against Milan

Garrus

The huge void was created because he didn't even play as a false 9!, That space just in front of the midfield that a false 9 mostly occupies was left empty because he drifted all the way to the right, He can't do the duties of a false 9 when he's not in his correct spot, Aka 'the middle'

M

mikecraig

The huge void was created because he didn't even play as a false 9!, That space just in front of the midfield that a false 9 mostly occupies was left empty because he drifted all the way to the right, He can't do the duties of a false 9 when he's not in his correct spot, Aka 'the middle'

A result of allowing him the freedom that comes with false 9. Best way to eliminate that tragic flaw is to play a proper 9 who will not be drawn to the ball

F

Flavia

But when he plays false 9 he does tend to end up in the midfield creating a huge void in attack like we saw against Milan

He drops deep when the ball doesn't reach him. So he gets back to get it, to try to do something.

M

mikecraig

He drops deep when the ball doesn't reach him. So he gets back to get it, to try to do something.

Get the ball and pass it to whom?
The huge space his absence has just created?
We have the best midfielders in the world(the same players who constitute the midfield of the greatest national team ever) I am sure they can run the midfield just fine if he did not meddle all the time and just made runs to create space for them and and give them a target to hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans