10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I am glad we finally agree on something.
Pep over did it and sent our squad back by a few years. He was no t genius just at the right place at the right time who by the end of his reign had become a hinderance to this team
The real geniuses were Messi and gang
We will leave the arguments about the merits of false 9 for another day
I am also glad people are beginning to accept that
1- we need our forwards to more than just "work hard"
2- iniesta should play in the middle (I remember some joker using a LEVANTE game as an example of why Iniesta can play wide) freaking Levante.

Levante away > Getafe at home (which is what a lot of people were using as an example of why Iniesta should be in the center). But yes, it seems like we should use Iniesta in the center in big games. Especially in the 2nd leg against Milan.

Last edited:

Paganinisrvnge

People are acting like everyone plays ONLY for Messi and Messi just happens to get assists sometimes. If the other players were more clinical in front of goal; Messi would literally have like 35 assists in all competitions by now and the team would be destroying everyone left and right.

M

mikecraig

People are acting like everyone plays ONLY for Messi and Messi just happens to get assists sometimes. If the other players were more clinical in front of goal; Messi would literally have like 35 assists in all competitions by now and the team would be destroying everyone left and right.

The reason why we end up with shit goal scorers along side messi is because of Messi himself.
Name any goal scorer who is compatible with this version of Messi?
Van Persie?
Falcao?
Ronaldo?
In this system the role of the other fowards is to spread the pitch and create space for Messi. Would any prolific goal scorer settle for that?

BarcaGirl

The reason why we end up with shit goal scorers along side messi is because of Messi himself.
Van Persie?
Falcao?
Ronaldo?
In this system the role of the other fowards is to spread the pitch and create space for Messi. Would any prolific goal scorer settle for that?

Aguero.

Paganinisrvnge

Van Persie?
Falcao?
Ronaldo?

Villa and Pedro scored plenty of goals in 2010-11.

Paganinisrvnge

Messi also creates PLENTY of opportunities. What the heck do you want him to do? Take over Alexis and Pedro's bodies and finish the shot for them? The only solution is to clone Messi. :pep:

Garrus

I never minded his limited work rate this season, It kept him fresh, And because of that he's been unbelievably consistent this season, Scoring in 14 consecutive la liga matches is insane, But i think an exception should be made against milan, It might be our last 90 minutes in CL, What's the point of keeping fresh if it means getting eliminated from the most important competition this early.

F

Flavia

Van Persie?
Falcao?
Ronaldo?
It's not Messi. He is compatible with pedro, villa, alexis, tello, aguero, higuain. But when you try time and time again to assist your team mates, and they fail, I imagine it's frustating and you may wanna try to do things yourself.
Messi's not a selfish player, he attempts to serve his team mates many times, and he really should have a better assist tally by now.

I never minded his limited work rate this season, It kept him fresh, And because of that he's been unbelievably consistent this season, Scoring in 14 consecutive la liga matches is insane, But i think an exception should be made against milan, It might be our last 90 minutes in CL, What's the point of keeping fresh if it means getting eliminated from the most important competition this early.
It will have to be a team effort. And a good lineup starting will be crucial. But I think the same mistake will be made again, starting iniesta at lw, instead of Villa.

BerkeleyBernie

He drops deep when the ball doesn't reach him. So he gets back to get it, to try to do something.

He also makes NO effort to position when he is playing between the lines, just waits for the ball to move within 10-15 yards of his area before becoming involved. Messi is great at drawing defenders and creating space for his team *when he has the ball.* When he is without the ball, he is invisible. He doesn't make runs in between the lines, and rarely makes runs to get the ball behind the back line.

When he drops to the midfield to get involved, that's when he gets marked more closely. Mostly, like other Barça midfielders with their back to goal, he plays wall passes with a midfielder when he has someone breathing on his back. Sometimes they'll try to 1-2 up the middle, but because Messi leaves the front empty, it's essentially 2v8 at that point against a well organized defense, and they lose the ball or dump it to the wing (where there is now no advantage, because the entire defense is compressed back to defend against the run up the middle).

If Messi is to drop to the middle, then other players need to be given the freedom to attack the empty space to give him targets. Iniesta does this well when he is not played on the wing. Pedro sometimes attacks that space on the diagonal, and Alexis does it well, but has no final product. Cesc can, but I didn't see it vs Milan.

AURELIUS

Van Persie?
Falcao?
Ronaldo?

I would chip in and say that the role Pedro and Sanchez are performing is what Kun and Higuain do for Messi on the international stage. And while Messi's own stats have soared for country theirs have not suffered either.

And they are quite happy to do it.

Fourteen

Monster Masch
I think it would be a good idea to work on his sprinting as well. He's still quick, but he should still have that youthful burst (or be able to re-obtain it) that we saw when he was 18-20.

More so as a Villa fan-boy as well, i'd love to see Messi (very) ocassionally used on the wing so someone like Villa can operate through the middle just to mix things up.

However! If things improve over the next few weeks, clearly nothing needs to change and I'm just speaking nonsense.

Yannick03

I don't get this Messi-is-to-blame hype. He has saved our asses a bunch load of times this season. Sure, he was bad on Wednesday but he isn't the only one to blame. He is so easily defended because our other forwards aren't much of threat. The whole idea was that Cesc could go in the spaces that Messi left but he failed miserably. For me this game showed once again our potential biggest problem : we have no forwards other than Messi, they are just non-existent against every top side.

F

Flavia

I would chip in and say that the role Pedro and Sanchez are performing is what Kun and Higuain do for Messi on the international stage. And while Messi's own stats have soared for country theirs have not suffered either.

And they are quite happy to do it.

Precisely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans