10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
People just start using numbers to justify this. Kudos to him for scoring and assisting so much, but that doesn't mean he's doing his best. What we've seen so far this season is far from his best. Playing-wise, not stats-wise. But that's OK, because a player that plays virtually every game in the season needs to conserve his energy... FOR IMPORTANT GAMES. The team's attitude (as well as Messi's) going into the Milan game was not good. They should have approached it more seriously. Remember our 2:2 against Chelsea last April? How we tried? That's how we need to approach knockout games. The team does have that hunger inside them, they just didn't show it. We can't afford not to do our best, Messi included.

The team will definitely need to step up their attitude big time in the return leg if they want to make a comeback. IMO, with a few changes to the lineup, if we play like we did against Chelsea and FINISH OUR CHANCES we can go through.

Last edited:

Stric

There's just something about the team this season (especially in the second part), it reminds me of myself actually :lol:, they don't put in the effort until they realize they're knee-deep in shit. Then, sometimes they start kicking ass and manage to turn it around, and sometimes they fail. Because you can't gamble like that, a lot of the times it'll be too late to start putting in the effort only when you're losing. Especially against big teams. And that's no way to approach knockout games. Someone may need to inform them that the real games are no longer around the corner, they've started.

UberNjufer

Precaution, he plays 60 games a season, gets tackled a lot, he cant run like a Pedro every game because he would get injured.

Obviously thats what the coaching stuff tells him to do. Common sense.

that precaution resting thing is getting overused.You dont rest player on pitch,you put him on bench.Ordering a players not to play their 100% every other game 'cuz of precaution is absurd.And if true it would only confirm my feelings about our whole coaching stuff being completely useless.

Stric

that precaution resting thing is getting overused.You dont rest player on pitch,you put him on bench.Ordering a players not to play their 100% every other game 'cuz of precaution is absurd.And if true it would only confirm my feelings about our whole coaching stuff being completely useless.

Even if it wasn't absurd, it should really go out the window as soon as knockout stages of any competition begin.

exneo

I think everyone here (no one in particular) is looking for a scapegoat and attacking Messi is sad because he was one of our best players during the Milan match. I don't see people criticizing the pathetic playmaking from our CMs or the lack of support from our other forwards nearly as much as Messi.

The reason Barca has been suffering above all else is a lack of quality in defense (specifically, the CB position) along with poor selection of forwards. Messi was MOTM against Granada but really didn't put on a better performance workrate wise than he did against Milan. It just shows up that people are using Messi for a scapegoat for much larger problems with the team. For almost two years now, it's been incessant HARMLESS tiki taka from Xavi and Busquets until Messi picks up the ball, runs at the defense, and creates something off a 1-2. Iniesta also does this sometimes, but understandably not as successfully as Messi.

We have problems with our management. Messi doesn't need to do anything better. He can draw a crowd of defenders by walking, but our other players don't take advantage of that space. Also, the other players have not been making themselves as available as they have in the past. This wasn't Messi's best performance in the blaugrana, but it was certainly not a bad performance.

Messi's job is not to make runs into open space all match long. His job is to touch the ball as much as possible, generally play centrally, and create opportunities for his team and himself. His job is to stalk that area between the opposing defense and the midfield. He can score with half a yard of space and would have so many more assists if his teammates were more clinical.

Fourteen

Monster Masch
I don't think people are looking to Messi as a scapegoat, but instead just pointing out that he is not currently playing to his exceptionally high standard. I think everyone knows that the team as a whole had a bad night on Wednesday.

poldep

Imo the whole team failed to show up that night. It is just so sad that it means we will be out of the tournament. Imo winning the CL is a huge thing. Way bigger than winning the CDR.

The team will definitely need to step up their attitude big time in the return leg if they want to make a comeback. IMO, with a few changes to the lineup, if we play like we did against Chelsea and FINISH OUR CHANCES we can go through.

Basically, we need to:

Step. It. Up. And:

Finish. Our. Chances.

If we do these 2 things, we can go through IMO. If we do go through, we definitely can't afford to play like we did on Wednesday in the next rounds of the CL.

It also means that, Messi after 4 years will not be the topscorer of the CL. Damn will CR7 win it?

I think Real will be out by the next round, since they tied 1-1 at home. Who knows though.

Last edited:

Kerrybai

I don't think people are looking to Messi as a scapegoat, but instead just pointing out that he is not currently playing to his exceptionally high standard. I think everyone knows that the team as a whole had a bad night on Wednesday.
Messi's high standards were a reflection of his team as much as his individual ability. When the team is poor he suffers. When Argentina were poor he suffered, now under new management he has flourished. At the end of the day football is a team game, and Barca more than any other team on the world have to work in harmony. If even one player has an off day the effect on everyone else is huge.

Stric

Mostly nobody is looking for a scapegoat in Messi. Pointing out his "flaws" :lol: hardly means we're putting the blame on him for whatever result we achieved. We're just stating the obvious, he's been playing with 50% intensity the entire season, now's the time to go all out. Because if he doesn't step it up now, there'll be no CL or CDR games left to compete in. That doesn't mean it's his fault if we lose a game. But it would certainly help enormously to have him at his best.

J

jiopi

Messi can't step it up if his team mates doesn't do the same. Last game everybody failed.

Stric

Messi can't step it up if his team mates doesn't do the same. Last game everybody failed.

Hardly. Yes, last game everbody failed, but just because the team wasn't working well as a whole, doesn't mean he can't/shouldn't do his best. That's like saying he can't try if his teammates don't try. Maybe he can't turn it around on his own (although we've seen that happen, too), but he can put in the effort. If he tried and failed, nobody would say a word. We're complaining about the lack of effort, not the lack of results. The effort has nothing to do with his teammates. Same goes for everyone else. Just look at Alba. This guy is so hungry, he gives it 110% every time. Even when everyone else is on standby, he's out there doing his best. But I do agree, however, to progress to the next stage, everyone needs to step up, because anything less than 11 players playing their heart out won't be enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans