10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatalinR10

List of European Golden Shoe rankings so far :

BFwQoRTCAAAUAXN.jpg:large

spark

As long as we have Puyol to compare him to, Xavi will never be considered such a good leader. Puyol is by far the best and most appropriate captain figure I can think of. I can't find it at the moment, but I remember a gif where Puyol is punched/slapped in the face by an opposition player who got a yellow or something, and Puyol didn't make any reaction and every calmed everyone else done and kept them from reacting, as well. I don't think Xavi or any other of our players could maintain that attitude. Puyol is one in a million. (this was not the Ramos incident)

It was Ballesteros. Ronaldinho was ready for it to kick off :lol:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Messi doesn't "command respect" like Xavi or Puyol IMO. Sure Messi is "respected" and admired but not as a leader or figurehead (again IMO).

Agreed. Of course Messi commands tremendous respect as one of the best footballers ever lived, but he has not been groomed to be a player who exerts leadership on the rest of the team. It is not about yelling at your teammates, it is about whether your teammates look up to you, whether you have the ability and skills to influence the whole team. So far, Messi certainly has not shown it. It takes respect, the sense of responsibility and passion to be a leader, something that both Puyol and Xavi possess.

Can any one comment on how Messi is capitaining Argentina? Is he really a leader for Argentina?

Kerrybai

Agreed. Of course Messi commands tremendous respect as one of the best footballers ever lived, but he has not been groomed to be a player who exerts leadership on the rest of the team. It is not about yelling at your teammates, it is about whether your teammates look up to you, whether you have the ability and skills to influence the whole team. So far, Messi certainly has not shown it. It takes respect, the sense of responsibility and passion to be a leader, something that both Puyol and Xavi possess.

Can any one comment on how Messi is capitaining Argentina? Is he really a leader for Argentina?

All we really know is that Messi has improved greatly in terms of scoring goals since he was made captain and Argentina have improved, however this of course coincides with Sabella taking over as manager and it would be unfair to say Messi is now the difference as captain and not the manager. However it should be noted that Messi has lead greatly by example, taking games by the scruff of the neck for example that hat trick he had against Brazil and the WCQ against Uruguay.

It's difficult to understand if he has been a good leader because we don't have access to the dressing room before games and at half time etc.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I don't like tattoos but Messi's seem to be very family oriented and sentimental so I'd say it's more of a good thing than a bad one.

F

Flavia

Just because he got a tattoo doesn't mean he turned into a thug, Even though i don't like tattoos either.
He already had one for a long time now, his mom face on his back.
I like tattoos, especially when it's a homage to someone. Associating tattoos with thuggery is prejudice, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans