10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

footyfan

Calma, calma
I think he went something like 14 games without scoring from open play before the brace.

3 games by Inter, 5 by Milan and once when he was a kid vs Udinese. He assisted a few goals and won one of the penalties himself. He scored twice vs Napoli after coming on as a second half sub iirc in a friendly. I'm sure he wouldn't struggle as much as you're making out he will.

Ronaldo hadn't scored against Barca for quite a few games. Now he can't stop scoring.

Well you could probably factor in Barcelona went a bit further no?

Also Barcelona have had the much better supporting cast.

But we're comparing an individual player to an entire team. He played 4 games more than Milan btw. And the later knockout stages are significantly more difficult than group stage games. In fact, 67% of the games Milan played were group stage games - as compared to just 41% of Messi's

Last edited:

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
3 games by Inter, 5 by Milan and once when he was a kid vs Udinese. He assisted a few goals and won one of the penalties himself. He scored twice vs Napoli after coming on as a second half sub iirc in a friendly. I'm sure he wouldn't struggle as much as you're making out he will.

Ronaldo hadn't scored against Barca for quite a few games. Now he can't stop scoring.

But we're comparing an individual player to an entire team.

I don't think he would struggle at all, you decided to take a pop by saying "Messi scored just 5 goals less than Milan in 2012 tehehe"

To which i replied "I personally think Serie A teams can defend a touch better though."

Which is true, it's a more tactical/defensive league. I don't think La Liga teams have the art of defending down. different leagues.

I haven't said Messi would struggle anywhere. I pointed it out to the person who said "except vs Messi" which isn't true.

footyfan

Calma, calma
I haven't said Messi would struggle anywhere. I pointed it out to the person who said "except vs Messi" which isn't true.

That comment was more directed towards your general comments on this forum about Messi and how he would fare in Serie A, not about this particular discussion today.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Agree with Josh cant see Messi scoring 50 in Serie A as its a more defensive league. I can see him scoring 35-40

I would actually tend to agree with this...Sometimes though it's difficult to reconcile with the numbers. 2011-12 La Liga had only 80 more goals scored than 2011-12 Serie A. If La Liga teams attack better and defend worse, surely the numbers would be more exaggerated.

Cule4life

The Culest
Dedicating my 1000th post to the GOAT. May he lead us to victory against the sheikhs

P9C
[/QUOTE]

tumblr_mjkdvfvdCc1r1fq7do1_500.gif

messi-o.gif

tumblr_lsruqtZH4N1qg0v4ao2_250.gif

tumblr_mevtenqwZq1qk3bk5o1_500.gif

KhaledBarca

Messi 2012: 29 goals after 21 official games. (Finished the year with 91 goals).
Cr7 2012: 22 goals after 21 games. (Ended the year with 69 goals).

Messi 2013: 22 goals after 21 official games. (Predictions?)
Cr7 2013: 22 goals after 20 official games.

Its safe to say that Messi will never break this record again, last year was unique!

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Well you could probably factor in Barcelona went a bit further no?

Also Barcelona have had the much better supporting cast.

True, I've always wondered how well Messi will do in a lesser team (without the likes of Xavi and Iniesta), and in another league (I'd agree with you that Serie A teams generally defend better than other league teams). I guess we might never find out, if Messi stays with Barca for the rest of his prime-time career.

Papabeef

True, I've always wondered how well Messi will do in a lesser team (without the likes of Xavi and Iniesta), and in another league (I'd agree with you that Serie A teams generally defend better than other league teams). I guess we might never find out, if Messi stays with Barca for the rest of his prime-time career.

If only Alexis would be as lethal in La Liga as he was in Serie A... putting in mind he was in a lesser team! I know what you mean but i really think its very static and hard to have rules for it, some players fit better within certain leagues even if they are supposedly more defensive etc..

People think Serie- A, Italy so therefore DEFENSE, we should look at the average goals per match for a better reference and Liga vs Serie A wont be to far off i would bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans