10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Messi doesn't have the work rate to play in midfield, not in a 4-3-3 anyway. He used to but this season he has clearly been given the licence to conserve his energy and focus on attacking. He obviously has all the other qualities required to play in midfield and it would only require him to up his work rate and defensive work to excel there. However, I think he is going to become accustomed to having the freedom he has now and play the rest of his career as a false 9 or eventually as no 10 in the hole. I suppose if he played as a no 10 he would basically be a midfielder but without the same defensive obligations.

Yes, if Messi doesn't ramp up his work rate big time, he is not going to transition to a Xavi-liked midfielder. At this point I seriously don't see where Messi's place is going to be after he gets older and slower and stops scoring that many goals.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Could never stand Gary Neville as a player, but as a pundit, he is spot on usually.

Feel similarly, really...He lacks charisma for on air coverage as he has an extremely mechanical & dry delivery...But his comments on anything outside of United are usually bang on as well as insightful

Rahj

minime.jpg
Thanks to Antonella for making a superb carbon copy

Kerrybai

Yes, if Messi doesn't ramp up his work rate big time, he is not going to transition to a Xavi-liked midfielder. At this point I seriously don't see where Messi's place is going to be after he gets older and slower and stops scoring that many goals.

His lack of work rate has nothing to do with him in a way , it's obvious to anyone who watched Messi in the past that he worked very hard. Clearly under Pep he was instructed to preserve his energy.

Stric

Messi doesn't rely on his physical attributes as much as some players do, so his decline (which is still too early to talk about) won't be as notable as others' will.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
His lack of work rate has nothing to do with him in a way , it's obvious to anyone who watched Messi in the past that he worked very hard. Clearly under Pep he was instructed to preserve his energy.

Is it me or is Messi "walking" even more this season, more so than before?

I think he definitely walks a little more, based on what I've seen from him. But that's probably down to tactics. The argument that he would tend to do the same as CM is groundless

Irish_Cules

Is it me or is Messi "walking" even more this season, more so than before?

Yes much more so. I don't think its anything to do with him becoming lazy or anything. I reckon Tito has told him to conserve his energy and let others do the pressing. I'm not so sure if its the best thing for the team. The collective pressing under Pep was a huge reason for our success and Messi not partaking in it to the same degree anymore takes a bit of the intensity out it.

fendiking

Some of the stuff you read on here sometimes makes you wonder if we watch the same game!!

If not for the injury messi would possibly be on 47 league goals, 3 away from his own record

If he decides to "walk" more and continues his scoring rate he'll make berbatov look like usain bolt

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Yes much more so. I don't think its anything to do with him becoming lazy or anything. I reckon Tito has told him to conserve his energy and let others do the pressing. I'm not so sure if its the best thing for the team. The collective pressing under Pep was a huge reason for our success and Messi not partaking in it to the same degree anymore takes a bit of the intensity out it.

I am not sure if I get the "conserving energy" part. Why couldn't Messi run more, like Iniesta, who plays most of the games? Messi is only 25, physically he should have no problem running more. And I absolutely want him to be part of the team's pressing game.

Don't get me wrong, I am in no way trying to criticize him, I am a huge fan of Messi. :wub:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans