10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Athletic

Messi probably doesn't have a clue what happens to most of his money. The tax evasion could very well be true and done by some manager in Messi's name.

There's so many footballers that go bust, because their manager did some bad investments. Same could be happening with Messi.

A

Athletic

I do actually. Do you honestly think that after training every day he comes home to do his bookkeeping :lol:

Galning

I believe it too. He probably has no clue whatsoever.. as Athletic says I think he really can't be bothered to do his bookkeeping. If you earn such an amount of money, your earnings coming from several different institutions I'm sure it's complicated as hell.

F

Flavia

It's actually really normal, when you have that much money. And he has his father, someone who he trusts 100%, taking care of that too, ever since he was young. I doubt he spends time checking what's going on with his finances.

Daemul

previously known as Jonathan28
It doesn't matter either way, unless Spain has different laws for tax evasion ignorance is not and never has been a defense for not paying taxes. You may get advice from accountants and lawyers but when you put pen to paper you're the one responsible for what your signing. If Messi was wronged by his accountant then he could sue him separately, but the tax fraud itself is all on his shoulders and nobody else's in a legal sense. If Messi is too bloody lazy or incompetent to actually keep up with where his money is coming from and where it's going then he deserves everything he gets.

Luckily for him he can afford to pay the fines plus whatever money is owed, otherwise he would find himself behind bars.

Galning

It doesn't matter either way, unless Spain has different laws for tax evasion ignorance is not and never has been a defense for not paying taxes. You may get advice from accountants and lawyers but when you put pen to paper you're the one responsible for what your signing. If Messi was wronged by his accountant then he could sue him separately, but the tax fraud itself is all on his shoulders and nobody else's in a legal sense. If Messi is too bloody lazy or incompetent to actually keep up with where his money is coming from and where it's going then he deserves everything he gets.

Luckily for him he can afford to pay the fines plus whatever money is owed, otherwise he would find himself behind bars.

This has nothing to do with your original point of view, which was laughing at someone who believed Messi didn't know. Nobody was saying he shouldn't be held accountable.

ShandyFFM

If he has to pay back three or four times the amount of money he might play even longer for Barca to get his money back :troll:
I cant imagine him going to jail there would be millions of people who would demonstrate against this or try to help him. But its so strange that something like this comes out now. Messis image was untouchable but now there could be and incredible damage to it.

Daemul

previously known as Jonathan28
This has nothing to do with your original point of view, which was laughing at someone who believed Messi didn't know. Nobody was saying he shouldn't be held accountable.

I was laughing because of how ridiculous the notion of someone not keeping up with their own income is to me, especially when it's well known that even if your not the one at fault for not paying your taxes you are still the one who will get all the blame. It's a belief that essentially tells people that Messi and/or his Dad are just not very bright people and are extremely naive and trusting. I always hold my head in my hands when retired sportsman end up losing all their money due to some dodgy accountant who they let do all the tax work for them, because I refuse to believe that human beings can be so stupid and lazy.

I know footballers and the like aren't known for their brains due to the poor upbringing many of them had and the time they spent playing sports instead of studying but jesus christ they should still have some common sense.

ShandyFFM

I would cry so hard if Neymar and Messi wont make any games together because of this. You just cant do this to the world we/they deserve to see both playing together.

F

Flavia

I was laughing because of how ridiculous the notion of someone not keeping up with their own income is to me, especially when it's well known that even if your not the one at fault for not paying your taxes you are still the one who will get all the blame. It's a belief that essentially tells people that Messi and/or his Dad are just not very bright people and are extremely naive and trusting. I always hold my head in my hands when retired sportsman end up losing all their money due to some dodgy accountant who they let do all the tax work for them, because I refuse to believe that human beings can be so stupid and lazy.

I know footballers and the like aren't known for their brains due to the poor upbringing many of them had and the time they spent playing sports instead of studying but jesus christ they should still have some common sense.

Not Jorge Messi, I think he's the one taking care of it closely. And that's why Leo might be way more relaxed about his money. But we have to wait and see.

I would cry so hard if Neymar and Messi wont make any games together because of this. You just cant do this to the world we/they deserve to see both playing together.

There's no need to dramatize this...

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

Do you hate Messi that much to want to see him behind bars??

Nobody is saying Messi is not ultimately responsible for this (if proven true), of course he is responsible for the content of a legal document that he signs. People are simply saying he might not be aware of any schemes or errors on the part of his tax accountants, agents etc.

Have you ever had your tax done by a tax preparer, a professional? If you are not so well versed in tax regulations, laws and provisions, all the intracacies etc., you are going to basically trust your tax preparer's expertise that your tax return was done in the accurate and honest way. And you are going to sign it. If something goes wrong, yes of course you are responsible, but can people call you a cheat?

Lazy or incompetent??? Wow. I guess I am one of those lazy and incompetent people! You are so damn smart, you do your taxes, you don't hire any professionals to do anything. You are a much better person than lazy and incompetent people like Messi! :lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans