10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daemul

previously known as Jonathan28
Not Jorge Messi, I think he's the one taking care of it closely. And that's why Leo might be way more relaxed about his money. But we have to wait and see.

Wait, Messi's dad sorts his finances? WTF? This could turn out to be a clusterfuck of a mess if Messi is found guilty due to his dad's illegal ways, that's family shattering stuff right there.

There's no need to dramatize this...

I didn't know how to respond to that post tbh :lol:

MagIX

Nobody is saying Messi is not ultimately responsible for this (if proven true), of course he is responsible for the content of a legal document that he signs. People are simply saying he might not be aware of any schemes or errors on the part of his tax accountants, agents etc.

Have you ever had your tax done by a tax preparer, a professional? If you are not so well versed in tax regulations, laws and provisions, all the intracacies etc., you are going to basically trust your tax preparer's expertise that your tax return was done in the accurate and honest way. And you are going to sign it. If something goes wrong, yes of course you are responsible, but can people call you a cheat?

I agree.
I really think that Messi knows very little about taxes, tax regulations,....... i simply trusted his lawyers or professional tax preparer.

Daemul

Do you hate Messi that much to want to see him behind bars??

Nobody is saying Messi is not ultimately responsible for this (if proven true), of course he is responsible for the content of a legal document that he signs. People are simply saying he might not be aware of any schemes or errors on the part of his tax accountants, agents etc.

Have you ever had your tax done by a tax preparer, a professional? If you are not so well versed in tax regulations, laws and provisions, all the intracacies etc., you are going to basically trust your tax preparer's expertise that your tax return was done in the accurate and honest way. And you are going to sign it. If something goes wrong, yes of course you are responsible, but can people call you a cheat?

Hate Messi? What the hell? I just said he's not going to end up in jail, where do you get that I want Messi in jail from?

No, i don't hire people to do my tax for me, I don't have enough faith in another human being to do so, not even in family members who are accountants. If I ever did, which I won't, I would make sure to go over everything with a magnifying glass before I signed a single thing.
Lazy or incompetent??? Wow. I guess I am one of those lazy and incompetent people! You are so damn smart, you do your taxes, you don't hire any professionals to do anything. You are a much better person than lazy and incompetent people like Messi! :lol:

I think I need to explain this to you because you have trouble grasping it. I never said there was anything wrong with hiring accountants to do your taxes for you, you just plucked that out of thin air, the problem I have is people who put absolute faith in those accountants and don't check the tax papers before they sign them, THAT is what is lazy and incompetent. Next time properly read my posts before you make yourself look like a fool.

Zuess99

Do you guys think that these top sportmen have time to sort out their finances? I mean there are press conferences,interviews, games, training and then stuff you have to do for your sponsors. Apart from the this break I don't see how they would want to sort it out apart for asking someone else to do it. Which is why I think he wasn't ignorant of the matter but maybe his people let him down.

Barcafan 2304

I believe he probably leaves financial management to others and if he is guilty of something, it may be entrusting it to someone he really shouldnt have! Time will tell

ShandyFFM

Didnt someone say his old manager who was involved in his financial aspect gave the justice some hints?

Does someone remember the case with Sevillas Del Nido who went into prision for about 7 and a half years for 6.7 mil he had corrupted?

oz187

I always hold my head in my hands when retired sportsman end up losing all their money due to some dodgy accountant who they let do all the tax work for them, because I refuse to believe that human beings can be so stupid and lazy.

Why do you refuse to believe something that you know for a fact is true?

When an individual gets accountants to do work for them, there is a sharing of the responsibilities. Whether the blame goes on Messi, the accountants, or both depends on the exact details of what's happened. Messi will have some idea of what's happening with his money, but it will be less than 100%, that's why he got the accountants. If the problems are in that gap in knowledge and it was reasonable for Messi to have that gap in knowledge then the blame is more likely to fall solely on the accountants. Again, it depends on the details.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Hate Messi? What the hell? I just said he's not going to end up in jail, where do you get that I want Messi in jail from?

No, i don't hire people to do my tax for me, I don't have enough faith in another human being to do so, not even in family members who are accountants. If I ever did, which I won't, I would make sure to go over everything with a magnifying glass before I signed a single thing.

I think I need to explain this to you because you have trouble grasping it. I never said there was anything wrong with hiring accountants to do your taxes for you, you just plucked that out of thin air, the problem I have is people who put absolute faith in those accountants and don't check the tax papers before they sign them, THAT is what is lazy and incompetent. Next time properly read my posts before you make yourself look like a fool.

Wow. Fools? I guess you are not only good at handling your taxes, you are also pretty good at name-calling and insulting people!

Of course people check the papers before they sign them, TO THE BEST OF THEIR ABILITY though! Of course I can catch an extra 0 here and there, but what else? Do I know what deductions that I am qualified for? I don't! Yeah, call me a lazy and incompetent fool for not knowing that!

I don't know what you do, perhaps you are that good at these things, but face it, there are a ton of people in this world who are not that great at these complicated matters such as filing tax returns. That's why they hire professionals to do it. They can check the papers all they want before they sign, but they can only do so much, since they don't have the expertise these professionals do, they are going to have to assume it was done right.

Come on, have some common sense here!!

Daemul

Wow. Fools? I guess you are not only good at handling your taxes, you are also pretty good at name-calling and insulting people!

Of course people check the papers before they sign them, TO THE BEST OF THEIR ABILITY though! Of course I can catch an extra 0 here and there, but what else? Do I know what deductions that I am qualified for? I don't! Yeah, call me a lazy and incompetent fool for not knowing that!

I don't know what you do, perhaps you are that good at these things, but face it, there are a ton of people in this world who are not that great at these complicated matters such as filing tax returns. That's why they hire professionals to do it. They can check the papers all they want before they sign, but they can only do so much, since they don't have the expertise these professionals do, they are going to have to assume it was done right.

Come on, have some common sense here!!

Sweet jesus, your trying to make it out as if it's rocket science. Tax Authority's have all these things available online so that people worried about them can check. HM Revenue and Customs in the UK have made it easier then ever for the self employed and the like to file and or/check their tax returns without any headaches. You don't need to do a professional accounting course to know what deductions your qualified for, just spend a short amount of time on your tax Authority's website to find out. It's all right there for you, dumbed down so much that even Paris Hilton could understand it......

Ok wait, maybe I went too far there :lol:

Papabeef

Your missing a huge point here, Were talking about someone who was already making millions as a boy/ teen, the fact he had someone to trust (his own father) to handle the financial parts of his life makes perfect sense. Then he would be able to focus solely on his sport, which worked out fine for him, being considered one of the best Footballers ever an all.

This is not some normal life path like most of us where daily money and weekly budgets should be noticed and followed, for Messi money is just numbers.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Sweet jesus, your trying to make it out as if it's rocket science. Tax Authority's have all these things available online so that people worried about them can check. HM Revenue and Customs in the UK have made it easier then ever for the self employed and the like to file and or/check their tax returns without any headaches. You don't need to do a professional accounting course to know what deductions your qualified for, just spend a short amount of time on your tax Authority's website to find out. It's all right there for you, dumbed down so much that even Paris Hilton could understand it......

Ok wait, maybe I went too far there :lol:

Good to know that you guys have it all figured out in the UK, I don't think it is the same case elsewhere. But I'd even argue, even the British have needs for professional tax preparations, as not everyone is tax-savvy or finance-savvy as you might be. The point is, there are many people around the world who hire tax accountants, preparers and professionals etc. to handle their taxes, Messi is just one of them. At worst he can be accused of negligence.

By the way, the big four accounting firms (such as PwC, Ernest Young etc.) operate in the UK, right?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
His lawyers releases a statement: http://www.mundodeportivo.com/20130...-imputado-abogados-inocencia_54376157047.html
It's in spanish, and too long to translate, so please use google :p

Courtesy of Google Translate:

Leo Messi's lawyers have issued a statement reiterating that the Argentine is innocent after you have been charged for alleged tax fraud.

The writing they have done is as follows: "Before the decision of the magistrate court Gava number 3 kicking off the investigation to clarify the facts stated by the prosecution, we want to express the following:"

1. We respect and abide by the ruling and we are at the disposal of justice to help resolve this matter and establish the truth.

2. We show our confidence in being able to clarify this difference of opinion and we regret that you want to question the reputation of our client, who scrupulously complies with Spanish legislation.

3. We declare that our customer will pay the amounts finally determined, but we believe that our client has already paid which legally belonged.

4. We firmly believe in the innocence of our client.

5. We ask that you leave work to justice, which we are confident.

6. We trust that the judicial inquiry can resolve in the shortest possible time leaving this issue to our customer in a situation of helplessness media that we deeply regret.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans