01/12 - F.C. Barcelona vs. Athletic Bilbao
05/12 - F.C. Barcelona vs. SL Benfica
09/12 - Betis vs. F.C. Barcelona
12/12 - Córdoba vs. F.C. Barcelona
16/12 - F.C. Barcelona vs. Atletico Madrid
19/12 - F.C. Barcelona vs. Córdoba
22/12 - Valladolid vs. F.C. Barcelona

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/football/first-team/calendar

Do you guys think he'll play against Córdoba?

Sorry, but the return-match against Còrdoba will be in 2012?? ...

If after the match against Atletico Madrid Messi still not reach the record (+86) I think he could play against Còrdoba at Camp Nou....

Trickykid

Sorry, but the return-match against Còrdoba will be in 2012?? ...

If after the match against Atletico Madrid Messi still not reach the record (+86) I think he could play against Còrdoba at Camp Nou....

Luckily Tito cares fuck all for any personal records it seems, which means he'll prioritize the team as a whole, which in turn means he's more or less bound to rest the likes of Messi in games like the one against Cordoba. Risking Messi in a pointless game could be fatal, and Tito knows that.
Seriously, screw those records. If they happen, great. If not, so what? We all know how good Messi is, and numbers shouldn't be needed in order to prove that.

Kerrybai

Luckily Tito cares fuck all for any personal records it seems, which means he'll prioritize the team as a whole, which in turn means he's more or less bound to rest the likes of Messi in games like the one against Cordoba. Risking Messi in a pointless game could be fatal, and Tito knows that.
Seriously, screw those records. If they happen, great. If not, so what? We all know how good Messi is, and numbers shouldn't be needed in order to prove that.

As far as I know Messi has played every copa del rey game from round 16 on. I don't see why that would be any different now, especially considering that we do not have 2 club world cup games this season.

I realise that the opposition is weak but I don't think Tito will take that into account. Provided we win comfortably Messi will be rested for the second leg I would imagine.

J

jiopi

I've heard that Cordoba is tough bunch, but fatal? Surely not. :lol:

Also, it's not only about us is it, it's about Messi and football in general. It's great publicity for Messi, Barca and football as a brand and sport, as it would be one of the greatest sporting achievements of the past decade. It definitely should not be branded as a pointless record.

raskolnikov

Also, it's not only about us is it, it's about Messi and football in general. It's great publicity for Messi, Barca and football as a brand and sport, as it would be one of the greatest sporting achievements of the past decade. It definitely should not be branded as pointless record.
there are 3 games before that one right? I think Messi will break that record against atletico, sooner than later.
There is so much hype on that record now it would almost be dissapointing if he didnt break it.
Part of me hopes he scores 4x vs Bilbao tomorrow so the whole thing ends:p

J

jiopi

there are 3 games before that one right? I think Messi will break that record against atletico, sooner than later.
There is so much hype on that record now it would almost be dissapointing if he didnt break it.
Part of me hopes he scores 4x vs Bilbao tomorrow so the whole thing ends:p
I agree, and that would mean that every goal has been against 1st level opposition, unlike with Müller, which would make the record even more special.

E

El Messiah 10

I agree.

But I can't imagine, record or not record, that Messi didn't play any minutes between Benfica + (1st) Còrdoba + (return) Còrdoba.

If he didn't play against Benfica I'm quite sure he will play almost one match against Còrdoba.

Messi don't like to miss a lot of games. :D

Trickykid

Eh?
Also, it's not only about us is it, it's about Messi and football in general. It's great publicity for Messi, Barca and football as a brand and sport, as it would be one of the greatest sporting achievements of the past decade. It definitely should not be branded as a pointless record.
I'm not quite sure where I claimed it was a pointless record, so would you be so kind to show me?
Of course it would be a great boon for everyone involved, should Messi get that record, but is it worth risking him getting injured in games, where he's clearly not needed much? A long term injury for Messi would more or less end our hopes for reclaiming the ChL crown, and cast serious doubts over our title shot. Those are the risks I'm talking about.

impeh

Hi, its me..
In 2012, Cristiano Ronaldo has scored 38 goals from 254 shots in La Liga, while Leo Messi has scored 52 from 185.

random messi stat :wub:

raskolnikov

Eh?

I'm not quite sure where I claimed it was a pointless record, so would you be so kind to show me?
Of course it would be a great boon for everyone involved, should Messi get that record, but is it worth risking him getting injured in games, where he's clearly not needed much? A long term injury for Messi would more or less end our hopes for reclaiming the ChL crown, and cast serious doubts over our title shot. Those are the risks I'm talking about.
People ignore those risks cause Messi rarely gets injured ( *knocks on wood*), if he would ever get a serious injury nobody would ever want him to play meaningless games ever again.
We will see what happens though, I think he will break the record before the cordoba game and be rested in both that game and vs Benfica.

raskolnikov

In 2012, Cristiano Ronaldo has scored 38 goals from 254 shots in La Liga, while Leo Messi has scored 52 from 185.

random messi stat :wub:

I would like to see stats of his shots after a messi brace and when he doesnt score or Madrid plays first.
I always get the impression that he is shooting from all angles when Messi scores a brace or hattrick, desperately trying to catch up to him.

J

jiopi

Eh?

Fatal, mortal, lethal, deadly? That just sounded funny...

Sorry but that kind of picture I got from your post. I think risk of him being injured in a game is so little, it's a risk worth taking, if it is compulsory for the record. What next, he should not train, run or walk, but should be kept in cotton wool? Like pointed earlier he could break the record earlier, which would be great, but him not breaking the record because of some terrible injury fear just doesn't sound right.

Trickykid

People ignore those risks cause Messi rarely gets injured ( *knocks on wood*), if he would ever get a serious injury nobody would ever want him to play meaningless games ever again.
You're absolutely right. It wasn't always like this though, and although completely irrelevant now, those images of a crying Messi getting injured against Chelsea in 05/06, i believe, are stuck in my mind.
We will see what happens though, I think he will break the record before the cordoba game and be rested in both that game and vs Benfica.
I really hope you're right. I'm probably overreacting slightly in any case, and I honestly thought that Cordoba was a Segunda División B team like Alavés - not that it makes much of a difference, as we should beat them comfortably in any case, with or without Messi. My point still stands though, as I think we should rotate Messi, and Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol and Piqué for that matter, whenever we get a feasible opportunity.

BarcaVillain

I think there is far too much wrapping players up in cotton wool. You can rest a player in all the games you want and then he can pick up an injury in training. Players want to play games, if they don't they risk losing rhythm and form.

Trickykid

Fatal, mortal, lethal, deadly? That just sounded funny...

Sorry but that kind of picture I got from your post. I think risk of him being injured in a game is so little, it's a risk worth taking, if it is compulsory for the record. What next, he should not train, run or walk, but should be kept in cotton wool? Like pointed earlier he could break the record earlier, which would be great, but him not breaking the record because of some terrible injury fear just doesn't sound right.

Fatal, as in fatal for our title aspirations, as I suppose you've gathered by now.
But fair enough. We just see matters differently. I still say we should do our utmost in order to avoid injuries, and that includes resting key players in low profile games - records or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans