10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Leo

Banned
Messi won't the 5th unless he plays magic until voting time and leaves a lasting impression. The taxes, the lap dancer etc. have "successfully" damaged his image. That's why I don't think he will get it( besides this was isn't his best season thanks to the injury).

CatalinR10

Messi won't the 5th unless he plays magic until voting time and leaves a lasting impression. The taxes, the lap dancer etc. have "successfully" damaged his image. That's why I don't think he will get it( besides this was isn't his best season thanks to the injury).

Still , was better than anybody else.

ebc_99

He will get it easily, no one cares about the tax and the girl. Those revelations have enhanced his reputation, he is no longer the choir boy people thought he was, instead he is a badass on and off the field.

Ribery although excellent was not on Messi's level last season and most people realise that. Messi is also much more famous which is an advantage in voting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

suckabov

Lemon curry?
I can't believe people have seriously forgotten that Ribery is currently being tried for sex with minors but keep on bringing Messi's ALLEGED tax evasion up, for which he hasn't even been, and probably won't be, put on trial. Let alone those ridiculous and proven-to-be-fake pictures of him with a 'stripper'. What part am I missing? Has Ribery's sleeping with an underage prostitute diminished his chances of winnign the UEFA award? Then why should something that isn't considered as bad as that and isn't even official harm Messi's chances?

Also, there are two implications of this debate that are just wrong.
1) Suggesting that Messi doesn't get the Ballon D'Or because his image has been tainted implies that in previous years, he got it because his image was good. That's so wrong. He got all of those because he's the best player in the world.
2) With all due respect, I seriously doubt sports journalist, NT coaches and fellow football players give a damn about paper gossip. This is not a bunch of fans voting, and it's certainly not a popularity contest as some haters suggest.

And lastly, how has Messi's image even been harmed? I've seen none of these stories being mentioned or talked about outside of the internet or some tabloids. The tax case, sure, but all that was said was "Messi being investigated". I see no harm done. When Messi played in the supercopa, my commentator said "he's known to be a humble and decent person". In general, there hasn't been that much of a fuss in the mainstream media as the internet makes it seem.

Last edited:

Ritchie

Messi's scored in pretty much every league game he's played in so far in 2013 (and he's only missed a few) and single handedly got Barca into the semis of the CL.

Ronaldo's done nothing of note and the team of the year (Bayern) had no real standout player because it was all teamwork. The star of the international tournament of the year (Neymar) not done as much as Messi.

raskolnikov

I feel the ballon d'or will be between Messi, Ribery, Ronaldo. So Look at this:

Ribery:
team in 2013: budesliga -cup- CL- supercup of Europa
Individual: Invisible in cl and cup finales (should have been send of in against Juve and in the final), best player in the Bundesliga for Bayern, scored a goal in the European supercup, won best player of Europe.
Statistics 2013 for Bayern (matches-goals-assists: 28-7-9
Statistics 2013 for Frankrijk (matches-goals- assists: 3-0-0
Total: 31-7-9

Ronaldo :
Team: nothing
individual: Cl topscorer 12 goals, scored 6 games in a row (shared record), scored/got send off in copa final, #3 at best player of Europe award.
Statistics 2013 for Real Madrid (matches-goals-assists): 32-34-9
Statistics 2013 for Portugal (matches-goals-assists): 6-6-0
Total: 38-39-9

Messi:
Team: La liga, supercopa
Individual: topscorer Spain, golden boot, most golden boots ever(3x), scored against all opponents in a row (first time in the history of football)
Statistics 2013 for Barcelona (matches-goals-assists): 28-30-9
statistics 2013 for Argentina (matches-goals-assists): 6-4-2
total: 34-34-11

Messi even played more than Ribery in 2013.

Zincubus

Banned
I don't understand the voting results tbh.

Ribery wasn't even the best player in Bayern as ar as I could tell .

Looking at the voting the other day it looked a bit political ala the Eurovison Song Contest .

Could it have been political voting ??

King Leo

Banned
Was just replaying the 2nd Classico of 2009 and boy what a difference has been in Messi's game. He's dropped speed and his dribbling today is not as crazy as it was back then. He's passing has gotten scary good over time but also I can see how our game has changed. There's too much passing around the box but less penetration. Another thing is obvious from watching the game, is that our defense is really weak now. With the speed of CR7 and Bale will be in deep trouble come the next classico. One last note, our passing has improved but also slowed down.

Messi's year is this as the WC approaches. He needs to pull all his strength next summer or will never have it.

King Leo

Banned
Was just replaying the 2nd Classico of 2009 and boy what a difference has been in Messi's game. He's dropped speed and his dribbling today is not as crazy as it was back then. He's passing has gotten scary good over time but also I can see how our game has changed. There's too much passing around the box but less penetration. Another thing is obvious from watching the game, is that our defense is really weak now. With the speed of CR7 and Bale will be in deep trouble come the next classico. One last note, our passing has improved but also slowed down.

Messi's year is this as the WC approaches. He needs to pull all his strength next summer or will never have it.

Richard.H

Our playing style has changed drastically since that year.

Messi was an RW and was an absolute workhorse. He tracked back, made cutting runs constantly, ran back to mid to give passes, was an all around active player. Keep in mind Messi had two legit goalscorers playing next to him in Eto'o and Henry. He got more space due to this because that season both Eto'o and Henry scored more than 20 goals each.

Right now Messi is the embodiment of the "false 9". He's the most important Barca player. The amount of defenders that are constantly around him make his 2009 days look like youth football days.

In addition, keep in mind nearly every team played against Barca very openly during those times. Even RM in that 2009 clasico left gaps of space to attack which was just a suicide against this tiki taka barca. Chelsea was the only team to park the bus against us in the CL and they were 1-2 mins away from a CL final.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans