10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KhaledBarca

If you want to make a list of the best football players of all-time, would you include Cristiano Ronaldo [in top 50 for example]?
I think all of us agree that Messi is in top 5?

Top 5: Messi, Maradona, Pele, Cruyff, Di Stefano? [in order]

neo_wolf

This is a lil'off topic: once, under Guardiola, Messi got yellow carded for the way he shot a penalty kick vs Milan
Check it out. Some call it cheating... I think he just didn't take it well and maybe didn't deserve the yellow

what do you say?

I remember that moment, he did deserve that yellow.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
I'm not sure if that's what he meant, but on another note, I think there are grounds to support that claim. Many people still doubt whether Messi is better than Maradona or Pele or whoever... He hasn't won a World Cup yet and all that. Many people still question whether he's the best player of our time, when in reality he's the best player in the history of football.
Yes, that was kind of what I meant. There's a number of issues. Because Messi scores a shitload of goals, a lot of people tend to reduce him to that and forget his exquisite playmaking, assisting, vision, passing.... Then, because he's only ever played for Barcelona, a lot of people tend to accuse him of only being able to play in a team that is built around him. And most importantly, and that is what I had in mind when writing that, Messi has been so consistent over the past years that most people are used to him being a God, thereby forgetting how incredible he actually is. He has basically been showing what most other great players cannot even do in their peak every year, for four years now. Or longer. In fact Messi's legend status has taken the attention away from him as a player.

I'm a she by the way.

DennyCrane

Yes, that was kind of what I meant. There's a number of issues. Because Messi scores a shitload of goals, a lot of people tend to reduce him to that and forget his exquisite playmaking, assisting, vision, passing.... Then, because he's only ever played for Barcelona, a lot of people tend to accuse him of only being able to play in a team that is built around him. And most importantly, and that is what I had in mind when writing that, Messi has been so consistent over the past years that most people are used to him being a God, thereby forgetting how incredible he actually is. He has basically been showing what most other great players cannot even do in their peak every year, for four years now. Or longer. In fact Messi's legend status has taken the attention away from him as a player.

I'm a she by the way.

This. He became a mythical figure, which reminds me of Michael Jordan a bit. At some point between winning 6 NBA titles, being voted as the leagues MVP five times and leading the league in scoring for like 50 years in a row, Michael Jordan the actual player dissolved into the ether and was replaced by Micheal Jordan the mythical figure. And when you're Michael Jordan the mythical figure, just being good isn't good enough. The same with Messi. People expect constant greatness, take it as given when it's there and are shocked if it's lost.

Last edited:
J

jiopi

Lionel Messi rejected last summer offers from three big clubs. One of them was willing to pay a transfer fee of 250M. [mundo deportivo]

PSG, Anhzi, Chelsea?

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
For all we know that could be fabricated by MD like 9/10 times....

Although if its true then I guess its the french clubs + Anzhi.......

pattegrisen

Of Course Cristiano would be top 50, he would make my top 25 actually but not with the upper echelons.

My top 5 would be:
1.Maradonna
2.Pele
3.Messi
4.Cruyff
5.Zidane

Messi would move up to #1 if he wins a WC. He is most def the most consistant and best i have seen in club football, but to be #1 you need a WC imo.

I also hate that argument it is a team sport, with that logic ex zlatan ibrahimovic never will be as good player as kenneth andersson until he brings sweden a bronze in the wc

Stric

I'm a she by the way.

Oh, sorry about that. :blush:

CatalinR10

BW3aClMCEAAIeFR.jpg

Got the green light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans