10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KhaledBarca

Cristiano and Ibra's performance in WC playoffs on 15 and 19 Nov will be very decisive. If Cristiano doesn't make it to the World Cup with Portugal, it would be funny to see him even in top 3. Especially, after having the easiest group ever (North Ireland, Luxembourg, Azerbaijan, Israel and Russia).

F

Flavia

It made it to the cover of Sport:

5157_10151796187157535_1214082965_n.jpg

"Messi's confession: I'm not 100%

In the club is believed that it is a mental block, for fearing another injury.

The captains will reunite with him. Xavi will lead a reunion with Leo, to find a way to help him"

suckabov

Lemon curry?
IMO, goals should not be decisive the way it is now when it comes to the ballon d'or winner. Scoring goals and finishing is part of the player's overall performance. Despite the (58) goals, Cristiano's overall performance is no where near Messi's performances in the last 4 seasons. he's not even better than Cristiano 2008 who was more decisive for Man Utd in that year. Its sad but the truth is Cristiano's goals in the last month and 15 goals difference between him and Messi, will help him be ahead of Messi in ballon d'or race.

Agreed it shouldn't count, but as I said, it usually doesn't count at all. The only time it did was last year with Messi, but that was so exceptional from him that it couldn't be ignored. (Plus, in comparison with Ronaldo, Messi's overall performances were superb and his goals were freaking brilliant and not tap-ins and penaldos). I doubt it'll be a factor this year, at all, like in every other year. Ronaldo's numbers aren't noticeable enough to noticeably help him. Plus, most people don't even count/look at at numbers so much, but what they do know is that Messi won the Pichichi and the Golden Boot this year...

At this point, I want any player other than Cristiano to win it, even Ribery! Although, its unfair to see a player like Ribery (who's world class) but compared to Xavi and Iniesta's performances in the last 5 seasons its not fair that Ribery might win the balllon d'or while Iniesta/Xavi end their career with a ballon d'or.
Yeah, Xaviniesta are a bit underrepresented. Easily two of the best players in the world, especially Xavi being one of the best midfielders of all time. I guess that is the downside of playing along side Messi. As for Ribery, he deserves it more than Ronaldo, and I wouldn't mind him winning as much as I would Ronaldo winning. But it's true, compared to other great players who didn't win it, it wouldn't be fair, especially Xavi and Iniesta. I still think it will be very very tough for him to pull it through, competing with the other Bayern players for votes and right now, seeing there are 5 of them nominated, unable to continue with his self-campaign (because it would seem selfish). Bayern can't really campaign for him so much anymore either, because they wouldn't neglect their home-grown boys Schwein and Lahm.

Annoying debate though, I just wish Messi would score a hat trick or two in the next CL matches to quiet the debate a bit.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
IMO, goals should not be decisive the way it is now when it comes to the ballon d'or winner. Scoring goals and finishing is part of the player's overall performance. Despite the (58) goals, Cristiano's overall performance is no where near Messi's performances in the last 4 seasons. he's not even better than Cristiano 2008 who was more decisive for Man Utd in that year. Its sad but the truth is Cristiano's goals in the last month and 15 goals difference between him and Messi, will help him be ahead of Messi in ballon d'or race.

At this point, I want any player other than Cristiano to win it, even Ribery! Although, its unfair to see a player like Ribery (who's world class) but compared to Xavi and Iniesta's performances in the last 5 seasons its not fair that Ribery might win the balllon d'or while Iniesta/Xavi end their career with a ballon d'or.

I am sure Ribery and the Bayern camp will certainly agree with you that the number of goals scored should not be decisive. ;)

Seriously, we are only talking about this year, not the past 4 years. We shouldn't be hypocritical about it, saying that CR7 does not deserve it because his team has won nothing while saying Ribery doesn't deserve it either because his goal count lags far behind those of Messi's and CR7's. Team accomplishments either matter or don't, we can't have double standard and insist that they only apply to CR7 but not Ribery.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
It made it to the cover of Sport:

5157_10151796187157535_1214082965_n.jpg

"Messi's confession: I'm not 100%

In the club is believed that it is a mental block, for fearing another injury.

The captains will reunite with him. Xavi will lead a reunion with Leo, to find a way to help him"

If true, this is actually quite reassuring. We all know Messi is fully capable of producing and being great, it is really this fear of getting injured that is getting to him.

The last line is giving me warm and fuzzy feelings. We are a one big family, kudos to Xavi, Puyol and Iniesta for helping Leo out. He just needs to jump through this hurdle.

KhaledBarca

@suckabov Nowadays its different, almost all of the professional players have twitter accounts or follow twitter etc.. And STATS have big influence on judging player's performance.

@Luftstalag14 IMO, its always the overall individual performance in 1st place in addition to the achievements and trophies with the team, its a whole package.
In 2012, Messi was on a very high level, his individual performance including the number of goals and records was UNIQUE. Plus, Chelsea players who won the UCL did nothing special individually that year which helped Messi...

I'm afraid if Messi wins it this year after all the injuries and dip in his overall performance past month, people will again question the credibility of FIFA and his previous 4 ballon d 'ors. I prefer Ribery to win it this year and Messi will hopefully regain his crown next year after winning the World Cup :D [or maybe NEYMAR if he leads Brazil to the WC].

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Agreed it shouldn't count, but as I said, it usually doesn't count at all. The only time it did was last year with Messi, but that was so exceptional from him that it couldn't be ignored. (Plus, in comparison with Ronaldo, Messi's overall performances were superb and his goals were freaking brilliant and not tap-ins and penaldos). I doubt it'll be a factor this year, at all, like in every other year. Ronaldo's numbers aren't noticeable enough to noticeably help him. Plus, most people don't even count/look at at numbers so much, but what they do know is that Messi won the Pichichi and the Golden Boot this year...

Not trying to be argumentative, and I agree the % of PK scored and tap-ins vs. the overall goal count is much higher for CR7 than for Messi; having said that, I think it is unfair for us to try to diminish CR7's accomplishments. Yes he has scored against many "shitty teams", but so has Messi if we are talking about La Liga. Also, many of CR7's goals are no less brilliant than Messi's at all as CR7 is able to score in many different ways: long shots from outside the box, powerful shots within the box at difficult angles, headers, freekicks, bicycle-kicks etc.

And let's be honest, CR7 has carried RM, without his goals RM would have a difference of more than 10 points between us and them.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Annoying debate. I don't know how anyone can argue for Ronaldo this year and seriously make a big fuss about his goalscoring against mediocre teams when he has failed to deliver when it mattered. And how anyone can compare him with Messi in 2012 (where he scored loads against "shitty teams" like Real Madrid and Leverkusen btw) is beyond me.

Last edited:

KhaledBarca

BUT, the fact that his team was 15 pts behind Barcelona last season, 6 pts this season. Lost vs Atletico and Barcelona this season. Lost the Cup final while Cristiano getting a red card. Didn't make the difference vs Dortmund although he was FIT AND Portugal's results in the World Cup Qualifiers.

all these bad results in year 2013 should mean something....

Last edited:

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Ronaldo will make sure he won't go unnoticed with some nice trickery anyway, I wonder what his excuse for not being able to vote will be this year. And they talk about Messi being selfish for voting for Iniesta, Xavi and Aguero (and not Ronaldo). Just ridiculous.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
:lol: @ CR7 deserving it more... Messi has carried Barca last season, not just in Liga but CL as well! His absence was clear to see even for amateurs

Ronaldo is out of it.. It's really between Messi and Ribery.

Trophies count when we compare Messi to Ronaldo because their production on personal level has been comparable. While trophies count less for Ribery because 1- Messi did win a major trophy (and only lost the other one when he was injured). and 2- Because Messi's and Ribery's productions on personal level were not comparable.. Ribery is the best player in the Bayern team which was the best team in the world, but he's not the best player in the world IMO.

Having said that, I can understand if Ribery wins it in the end, but for me, personally, I would put Messi ahead of him because Messi had a better year at personal level and because of the simple fact that Messi got injured for the crucial head-to-head with Ribery this year. If we take that game out of the equation, I don't think anybody will have any doubt about who should win it.

My prediction: It will be tight.. If Messi's drought continues through the next few weeks, Ribery will edge it. If Messi scores at least one goal in each of the coming games, Messi might edge it.

The Observer

Ribery is the best player in the Bayern team which was the best team in the world

Disagree. As a wide man he's not pivotal to the way Bayern play nor is his overall production good enough for a forward (in terms of Messi and Ronaldo standards). 1 goal, 2 assists in the Champions League in 12 games can't be overlooked for a frontman in a team like Bayern. Replace Ribery with any other hardworking, playmaking wing forward like Neymar, Götze, Hazard, Reus and nothing changes for Bayern. I'm not even sure why the media chose Ribery as Bayern's face. Seems random. He is their 3th best player at best IMO. Bayern's strength last season was their overall tactical set up, their pressing and their compactness with Schweinsteiger and Martinez protecting the back 4. Awarding Heynckes with the coach of the year award should really be enough to honour Bayern's achievements. As an individual, he has been their best man clearly.

Last edited:

Richard.H

I want to say that I'm very happy that we still get wins even with Messi not playing well. That is a huge achievement in itself.

I'm very worried about him though. Is it just me or has he gained a bit of weight? I really hope it's the injury. It would be my absolute nightmare if he lost motivation for the game. I'd really hate to see him go down that path.

T

tariqo

:lol: @ CR7 deserving it more... Messi has carried Barca last season, not just in Liga but CL as well! His absence was clear to see even for amateurs

:facepalm:@ people who still beleive this award only about who scores more goals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans