10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armando929

I think he's just not 100% fit.

Some are too quick to panic. I personally like him on the right wing if we were to play with a striker but to say he's wasted is a bit much.

He'll get better. I guess he is human after all inspite of those moments where he looks anything but.

Gilberto

If Messi is going to play on the wing again, he will have to loose weight, because he doesn't have the pure speed anymore. I would still keep him in the centre though, unless a striker like Lewa or Aguero comes in.

Armando929

Also I think some associate Messi with just goals... He's more than just a statistic. His presence alone alters defenses. And if he's not able to put the ball into the net, then our other guys get the chance to step up.

KhaledBarca

Cristiano Ronaldo (58) has now scored 15 goals more than Messi (43) in year 2013.... few weeks ago, before Messi's injury in september the difference was just 3...
I think this will effect the votes, since players/coaches will being voting during this month.

Zincubus

Banned
Also I think some associate Messi with just goals... He's more than just a statistic. His presence alone alters defenses. And if he's not able to put the ball into the net, then our other guys get the chance to step up.

There's no way he's getting the title this year . Ribery ( for some reason ) is the massive fave .

I read somewhere that it could spur Messi on to greater things in 2014 -

ab739

Yea definately not getting the balon d or after the goal disparity between him and ronaldo now. he hasnt even been our best player so far. Have to give that to neymar

big_man

Yea definately not getting the balon d or after the goal disparity between him and ronaldo now. he hasnt even been our best player so far. Have to give that to neymar

This Ballon d'or debate is getting tiring at this point. But I can't help but reply to this.

The reason Messi won the ballon d'or despite only winning Copa del rey is that he had an outstanding season, a feat that has never been managed in the 100+ year history of football, scoring 91 goals, AND Leading Barcelona to a record breaking 49 out of 51 points by December that had left Madrid 10 points adrift

Ronaldo has done nothing close to that, he scored 58 goals, and won NOTHING in 2013, not even the Copa del rey. His team has been dicked about by their two biggest rivals this season, lagging 6 points behind e.t.c.
Ronaldo will have to beat Messi's record before he comes into the conversation. He's a distant third at the moment.

Last edited:

ab739

This Ballon d'or debate is getting tiring at this point. But I can't help but reply to this.

The reason Messi won the ballon d'or despite only winning Copa del rey is that he had an outstanding season, a feat that has never been managed in the 100+ year history of football, scoring 91 goals, AND Leading Barcelona to a record breaking 49 out of 51 points by December that had left Madrid 10 points adrift

Ronaldo has done nothing close to that, he scored 58 goals, and won NOTHING in 2013, not even the Copa del rey. His team has been dicked about by their two biggest rivals this season, lagging 6 points behind e.t.c.
Ronaldo will have to beat Messi's record before he comes into the conversation. He's a distant third at the moment.
I dont know how voting works but if its a what have you done lately scenario, then ronaldo is winning it hands down. Messi's injurys have realy hurt him this year.

big_man

I dont know how voting works but if its a what have you done lately scenario, then ronaldo is winning it hands down. Messi's injurys have realy hurt him this year.

Yeah, he's scored 11 goals or so in 5 games? What happens if Messi then scores 12 goals in the next 4 games then? As someone else posted, as at 2-3 weeks ago or so they were like 2 or 3 goals apart. It's not determined by what a player does in 2-5 games. If by lately scenario, you mean August-December, then yes, that can influence decision somewhat, not 5 random games.

suckabov

Lemon curry?

This so much, and I agree the debate is getting tiring. 2012 was an exceptional year for Messi number-wise, not comparable to Ronaldo's 2013 at all. He scored loads of goals against shitty teams, and 5 of the goals he scored more than Messi were freaking penalties.

If the voters really went so much by numbers, which they don't, they surely have noticed the fact that despite Ronaldo's form, he didn't get anywhere close to breaking Messi's insane record and failed in the only two big games this season (Atletico and Real Madrid) and with Portugal, something that Messi can't be accused of at all in 2012.

Ronaldo will get into the top 3 because of his name and status, but he has little to no chance to win it.

I've noticed that many think the voting has some complicated logic to it, with the voters evaluating a catalogue of specific criteria, while in fact, it's just a mixture of "Who is the best player" and "Who has achieved great things this year". Before Messi, the second aspect probably weighed much more, but since Messi stepped onto the stage, those things are shaken up a bit. He gets a fair number of votes just because he is Messi, while others vote for him because individually, he's simply the best player. Then there's a large group who vote for who had the best year based on trophies or individual achievements, but even those include Messi in their top 3 (which gives Messi quite some points). I don't know the exact percentage of voters who didn't include Messi anywhere in their top 3, but it's negligibly small (Real Madrid and Portugal players among them).

So, this is how it works. I don't think that in any year, the goal count was a decisive factor, except for 2012 which was an exception due to what big_man already described and which was nothing like Ronaldo's 2013.

KhaledBarca

IMO, goals should not be decisive the way it is now when it comes to the ballon d'or winner. Scoring goals and finishing is part of the player's overall performance. Despite the (58) goals, Cristiano's overall performance is no where near Messi's performances in the last 4 seasons. he's not even better than Cristiano 2008 who was more decisive for Man Utd in that year. Its sad but the truth is Cristiano's goals in the last month and 15 goals difference between him and Messi, will help him be ahead of Messi in ballon d'or race.

At this point, I want any player other than Cristiano to win it, even Ribery! Although, its unfair to see a player like Ribery (who's world class) but compared to Xavi and Iniesta's performances in the last 5 seasons its not fair that Ribery might win the balllon d'or while Iniesta/Xavi end their career with a ballon d'or.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans