10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xtroverto

Messis league stats are pretty crazy, he could end up the first player in history to score 50 goals in a league season back to back, it has never been done before by any player in any league.

Here are the beasts of goalscoring in league, 1,2 and 3 consecutive seasons, and yep, Messi is one of them now.

Deák 66 goals in 34 games
Deák 115 goals in 64 games
Deák 156 goals in 94 games

Biscan 57 goals in 26 games
Biscan 96 goals in 46 games
Biscan 141 goals in 68 games

Pele 58 goals in 38 games
Pele 103 goals in 70 games
Pele 139 goals in 101 games

MacFadyen 51 goals in ? games
MacFadyen 96 goals in ? games
MacFadyen 134 goals in ? games

Messi 50 goals in 37 games
Messi 96 goals in 68 games
Messi 127 goals in 101 games

Puskas 50 goals in 32 games
Puskas 96 goals in 62 games
Puskas 128 goals in 92 games

McGrory 48 goals in 33 games
McGrory 95 goals in 69 games
McGrory 130 goals in 106 games

Cristiano 46 goals in 38 games
Cristiano 86 goals in 72 games
Cristiano 119 goals in 104 games

Not even close...

Greaves 41 goals in 40 games
Greaves 72 goals in 82 games
Greaves 108 goals in 116 games

Muller 40 goals in 34 games
Muller 76 goals in 67 games
Muller 106 goals in 101 games

Eusebio 42 goals in 24 games
Eusebio 73 goals in 50 games
Eusebio 98 goals in 73 games

LeoMessi10

What's even more amazing is that he could be even better if didn't walk around so much.

I noticed something today that Barça players should use- static Messi is like one of those toys you have to bump to initiate the motor. Once someone plays him a pass, he'll wall pass it back, but at least he starts to move around. That's how you set him in motion, since he won't make off-ball runs on his own.

Even if he's walking around with his back up against the opposing centerbacks, the midfielders should just pass it in as hard as they can to his feet (so he doesn't get picked off), and follow the pass in to support him. He'll pass it back, but at least now he's on the move.

Pavlov's Dog (a.k.a. "Ring The Messi") - passing Messi the ball makes him salivate for goals.
I have to say that I think it's part of the plan, not only does it allow Messi to play full 90 every single game but he doesn't expend energy doing nothing. It also allows him more space if people see him just walking around while someone is pushing forward on the ball they'll leave him and next thing they know he's in behind the Defense without a marker. I've thought the same thing and seen him spring into action to score right away.

Kerrybai

^ The reason he doesn't run that much must be down to his 'false 9' role. A regular forward will rack up a lot of distance making off the ball runs in and around the defence, basically keeping the center - backs on their toes. In our team it's our wingers who are the ones making most of the runs behind the defence or cutting inside to occupy the CB's.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I have to say that I think it's part of the plan, not only does it allow Messi to play full 90 every single game but he doesn't expend energy doing nothing. It also allows him more space if people see him just walking around while someone is pushing forward on the ball they'll leave him and next thing they know he's in behind the Defense without a marker. I've thought the same thing and seen him spring into action to score right away.

I think as a huge Messi fan I'd be quite insulted if someone tells me that Messi has to keep walking on the pitch to allow him to play 90 minutes, game in and game out. Ronaldo is 4 years older than Messi and plays almost every game for 90 minutes. Are we suggesting that Messi is not physically capable or fit to do what Ronaldo does, being a younger player? Is Messi becoming too fat to keep running or something? Meanwhile, older players on the team, such as Xavi and Iniesta, keep on running. What I fear is that Messi might be sending the wrong message to other players with his walking around and the absolute absence of helping out with defense (when was the last time we saw him picking the ball from the opposing players?): "I am Messi, I am the best player in the world and I can afford to just walk while you guys run your butt off".

I don't get the highlighted part. Are you saying by walking he might be fooling the opposing defenders into believing that he will not get to the open space in time?

Last edited:

spring

i want to be disagree but can't!
abcdefg%20%2820%29.gif

fendiking

Well for one, CR7 is 2 years older than Messi and if you watch Messi play for Argentina you'll find that be does less "walking around", I'm sure it's part of his role commanded by those in the know which has resulted in him scoring close to 100 league goals in two seasons

Messi must make Dimitar Berbatov look like Usain Bolt

J

jiopi

Meanwhile, older players on the team, such as Xavi and Iniesta, keep on running. What I fear is that Messi might be sending the wrong message to other players with his walking around and the absolute absence of helping out with defense (when was the last time we saw him picking the ball from the opposing players?): "I am Messi, I am the best player in the world and I can afford to just walk while you guys run your butt off".

I don't get the highlighted part. Are you saying by walking he might be fooling the opposing defenders into believing that he will not get to the open space in time?
When will people understand, distance covered doesn't tell you anything. There is effective running, and pointless running. Cesc ran 12km against Munich, fit Messi would have done twice as much with half the distance.

Just look Pedro, the guy is like a mindless running robot, chasing when you shouldn't chase, running into a corner with the ball, just to make a back pass etc. And when he finally gets to a great position, he doesn't have concentration or energy to make great choices anymore.

This isn't track&field, this is football, where quality decides your effectiveness. Some players have to run to make a difference, some not so much.

When was the last time he picked ball? I think he does that almost every game, but Milan 2nd leg 4th goal comes to mind.

Doobs

The Messiah
Messi in his ongoing career - 345 goals (313 w/Barça 32 Argentina). Maradona in his career - 345 goals (311 w/clubs, 34 Argentina)

khorne

What I fear is that Messi might be sending the wrong message to other players with his walking around and the absolute absence of helping out with defense (when was the last time we saw him picking the ball from the opposing players?): "I am Messi, I am the best player in the world and I can afford to just walk while you guys run your butt off".

I can see where you're coming from. I also appreciate it when our "cerebral" players run their socks off, or when xavi or iniesta take on 2 m centerbacks with their school boy bodies. But you make it sound as though messi is swaggering around the pitch, ordering his second class team mates around. That's definitely not happening. I believe messi is a very pragmatic player who just thinks that he can serve the team better if he's not chasing every ball, but rather stays sharp throughout the entire 90 minutes. I'd rather have all these extra time goals he has clinched for us the last years than him running around like pedro, tbh.

Whatever his motives for not running so much, the other players seem fine with it and that should be enough for us as well

BarcaGirl

Riquelme (Boca): "Messi is obviously the best player on the planet, but if he loses focus for 10-15 minutes, Iniesta takes control" [sofoot]
Riquelme (Boca): "Iniesta decides how Barça attack. Meanwhile, Messi walks around and when he remembers there's a game going on, he scores twice."

Is this an insult towards Messi or is he joking??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans