10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jiopi

Actually you're right, there was some errors,

successful dribbles per game - lost possession per game (turnover+dispossession) - successful dribbles per lost possession

13-14 5.7 - 2.3 - 2.43
12-13 3.8 - 3.8 - 0.99
11-12 4.8 - 4.2 - 1.12
10-11 5.6 - 4.6 - 1.22
09-10 4.1 - 5.5 - 0.75

Well that just enhances the argument.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
That's because tireless Alaba nowadays bombing in his flank frees million billion acres of space for Ribery.

To be fair, most of Ribery's successful dribbles were done in the left flank near the sidelines, or when he tried to cut into the penalty box from the left, and he usually only faced 1 or two opposing players. I did noticed that the few occasions when Ribery tried to dribble from the center he tended to fail.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Actually you're right, there was some errors,

successful dribbles per game - lost possession per game (turnover+dispossession) - successful dribbles per lost possession

13-14 5.7 - 2.3 - 2.43
12-13 3.8 - 3.8 - 0.99
11-12 4.8 - 4.2 - 1.12
10-11 5.6 - 4.6 - 1.22
09-10 4.1 - 5.5 - 0.75

Well that just enhances the argument.

Jiopi, do you have the same stats on other players such as CR7, Ribery etc.?

J

jiopi

They can be counted from whoscored.com which releases some OPTA statistics. Too tired to do it right now.

The problem with Messi is that he set the standard so high, that unless he's scoring (or assisting) a goal or goes on a mazy run every 10 minutes then people will consider it a "poor show".. If he touches the ball three times in a row without producing something magnificent, we'll start wondering "What's wrong with him in this game?!"

It just tells you how good he is.. Just imagine for a second that it was another player, who has scored a goal and assisted a crucial one in the dying minutes in a tremendous fashion, and people are talking about him having a poor game! Madness.

Dissecting the game into parts and then assessing his performance in those parts separately doesn't work either, and you certainly can't draw conclusions out of it.. I've seen Messi recovers so many balls in the final third, and go after the keeper to force him to send a long ball into the midfield, and run at the defenders when he feels that he might have a chance of disrupting their passing or stealing the ball (remember the 4th goal against Atletico Madrid at the 87th minute when we were 3-1 ahead already?).

To say that Messi doesn't work hard enough isn't true, it's just an impression that you might get because you're following him all game long (which is what most people do).. It's nothing new either, I remember Arsene Wenger saying the same thing in an interview after Messi's super hattrick against Arsenal a few years back.. It's nothing new, he always gives that impression when he plays.. However, that doesn't seem to have prevented him from being as deadly as he's been at any point of his career, so far.

The fact that he willed the team into victory against Seville says it all about his will and work ethic. The point when he stops showing passion when it matters is the point when I would start to worry.. At the moment, I would be more than happy if he (and Martino) tried to make sure that he isn't totally drained come April and May, while doing enough to get the results we need along the way.

footyfan

Calma, calma
It is certainly a subjective matter to define "100%", just an observation/feeling which differs from person to person, so I don't know how to measure it.

Taking yesterday's game as an example, I felt Neymar gave his 100%, despite the outcome. I will not criticize any player for trying hard but to no avil, the lack of trying and efforts is what irks me, as I felt it was the case with Messi in the first 60 minutes or so of the game yesterday. He just felt very disinterested and disengaged.

Next time notice Xavi, iniesta, Cesc and Neymar jog back when there's a dangerous counter attack.

sabby

Messi%20formation%20Sevilla.gif

Holy Sh!t ! That was awesome :O

F

Flavia

Md with a special on Messi tomorrow, when he completes 13 years at Barça(half of his life):

28irv3t.jpg

Messi elects his 13 best memories as a blaugrana.

2002: "My growth as a Barça player"
2012: "The birth of my son Thiago"
2011: "The final at Wembley"

And 10 more.

Papabeef

Md with a special on Messi tomorrow, when he completes 13 years at Barça(half of his life):

Messi elects his 13 best memories as a blaugrana.

2002: "My growth as a Barça player"
2012: "The birth of my son Thiago"
2011: "The final at Wembley"

And 10 more.

Nice!

This also proves that Messi will always be above Cristiano.

J

jiopi

Next time notice Xavi, iniesta, Cesc and Neymar jog back when there's a dangerous counter attack.
The 2-1 could've been prevented by either Xavi or Fabregas actually running back and stopping the second wave. Yet they were just slowly jogging back.

Most Barcelona's defensive problems are clear consequent of midfielders not holding their defensive duties.

Last edited:
J

jiopi

Messi wins the Aldo Rovira award for the 2012/2013 season for best player in Barcelona.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans