10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatalinR10

Yeah what Messi does to conserve his energy is definitely not laziness, but what really bothers me is that before he would come from the start and eat teams alive by his amazing dribbles and bursts of speed.

Really miss that Messi.

The way teams defend these days has changed you know ...

Back in those days he would have a lot of space to do his magic but now due to the new way of defending and his position , he is surounded by the oposition but still scores 2 goals - 3 per game. For example the game against Real Madrid last season when we lost 2-1 , he was marked thightly the whole game but as soon as he got some space , he scored a goal.

NotInHere

Would "being active" leave him more opportunity to breathe?
Definitely would be much easier to operate than just jogging and letting defenders close in on you. Sometimes he breaks such defenses by his skill, but that's not always. When Leo has space, its over.

But yes I would definitely take an aggressive Messi over a passive one.

NotInHere

The way teams defend these days has changed you know ...

Back in those days he would have a lot of space to do his magic but now due to the new way of defending and his position , he is surounded by the oposition but still scores 2 goals - 3 per game. For example the game against Real Madrid last season when we lost 2-1 , he was marked thightly the whole game but as soon as he got some space , he scored a goal.
My real problem is how defenders defend him, and like you said, its not the same. But it irritates me when I see all those jerseys on him and harass him till no end and his left helpless.

F

Flavia

My real problem is how defenders defend him, and like you said, its not the same. But it irritates me when I see all those jerseys on him and harass him till no end and his left helpless.

Lots of fouls on him are also overlooked by the refs.
Messi won't go full throttle every game, or he will get burned down. He also just got back from injury, after a year plagued with those. he won't risk getting another one.

CatalinR10

Diego Simeone (coach Atletico): "Who would I sign for Atletico - Cristiano, Casillas or Messi? Messi, no doubt." [cuatro]

:coffee:

CatalinR10

what pisses me off the most is that he has so many guys defending him, most of the time its three

BecCzGoCEAAmO75.jpg

:coffee:

Kerrybai

Reinartz sums it up very well, I thought. Perhaps the other players are not as good as Messi exactly because they "go mental for 90 minutes"? :p

Kidding aside, Messi was not like this several years ago. According to some people it was Guardiola who instructed him to play like this, conserving his engery, if I am not mistaken? The problem is, sometimes he doesn't appear to be very engaged in the game by standing and walking around without making a lot of off-ball movements and runs.

Regardless of performance and result, I think in general people do appreciate those who work hard, running, chasing and staying active and engaged the whole game. You know I am no fan of Ribery's, but his work ethic is top notch. Not that we want Messi to run for the sake of running. But he does need to be more active sometimes and participate in the pressing game, for example. If only he could be like that game vs RM every game.

Why would he press like the Madrid game every game? Most games e have 70% of the ball and we wait for the opposition to move into midfield and force the turnover. It's very hard for forwards to force turnovers. Different games call for different tactics, levels of pressing etc. We didn't need phone running his socks off vs Levante, we just needed to forge Levante out of their parked bus so we could hit them on the counter, like we did against ray vallecano.

Let's focus on what we did wrong against Levante, not Messi's work ethic.

CatalinR10

Martino: "Messi played two games, he felt good, so he'll continue to play. He's again fully part of the group." #fcblive

Messi to score 2 goals against Levante. Anyway , lately , he only scores in the cup :coffee:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans