10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerrybai

Yeah imo his current form is as good as his 2012 peak, in terms of performances. He's creating chances almost at will. Dribbling wise, I prefer the older Messi - he looked like a 1-man team. That's not to say that his dribbling now is any less than phenomenal.

Regarding his dribbling I will agree that he was more explosive before, or perhaps more often. His acceleration was that bit higher in his early 20's and he seemed to use it more often, at least judging from the video you posted. Maybe he's a big more intelligent with his dribbling now to make up for that drop.

With his passing I really don't recall a season like this one where he pulled off so many amazing passes over the top, but maybe that's more to do with his move to the right.

How many goals in all competitions does he have so far? 45?

Do you guys think he'll be able to reach 50 in la liga alone or would that be a stretch?

When he scored 50 he had 31 at this stage while now he is 32.

However the run in is tough, Madrid, Atletico, Sevilla ,Celta, Valencia.

Last edited:

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Younger Messi was more explosive and slippery than current one, which is understandable as you age. There's not really a huge drop though, but certainly a noticeable one. He was more spry, more uncontainable, more elusive in his dribbling at a younger age due to how quick and slippery he was. However what he has lost in explosiveness and elusiveness he has gained in physical strength, intelligence, reading of the game, playmaking and creativity.

Messi was always great at playmaking and creativity, but what we're witnessing now is superior to his earlier years. He was always great with a final key pass, and through ball, but now he has elevated not only the rate in which he does it, but expanded his playmaking ability to all over the field at a game rate that is frankly outstanding. The amount of chances he's creating from all over the pitch in a per-game basis is something of an absurdity.

Current team vs past teams also have bearing on this. He no longer has the support midfield, the partners to play with and to feed him so he can culminate. Now he is much more the feeder and creator. The puppet master pulling the strings.

Though I definitely don't agree with the earlier post of "Messi years ago would have scored a hat-trick." Such hypothetical and speculative statements are foolish.

Icarium

Lifestealer
This year messi is the best i have ever seen. Sure he was more explosive in his early 20's but overall game he is just another level. I don't think his dribbling quality has come down, it is just that he is more conservative in when to dribble when not to. Messi's vision has also improved a lot, he has almost xavi level vision right now. Those insane lob balls are out of this world, i have never seen him pull off so many good passes in a single match. His goal scoring stats are close to his best years and his chance creation stats are better compared to his best years, you may prefer the older one but there is no denying that messi is more complete player right now.

M

magicomessi

still according to some journalist & fans didn't deliver in the world cup despite having a great players around him so we can't call him the greatest

raskolnikov

I think the opposite is happening to be honest.
Cause he is still active, Messi's legacy as the goat will grow greatly when he is done and there is nobody quite as good out there to fill the void.

The main reason why people were hating on his wc is because he was voted the best player, they expected the Maradona performance which he was unable to give past round 16, but all in all he was the main reason they got so close to winning it.
Eventually it will grow on people, but let him perform well at the copa america this season.
He needs to boss it like yesterday or the 3-4 Brazil win to convince people he performed well at Argentina also.

Imagine if things look like this:
Copa America winner
Wc finalist
all time topscorer for Argentina
most caps

Sure it might not be considered goat like at clublevel but he wont be considered a flop.

pacp_96

Chief Of Footballing Matters
Is Penaldo past him now? Don't think it really matters. Leo took the record from Raul and he will end his career with it. Haven't even seen it mentioned.

Kohe321

I think Cristiano went past him against Schalke?

At any rate, Messi is almost 3 years younger, so the record will likely be his in the end anyway. They will probably keep going back and forth for a while in the meantime.

pacp_96

Chief Of Footballing Matters
I think Cristiano went past him against Schalke?

At any rate, Messi is almost 3 years younger, so the record will likely be his in the end anyway. They will probably keep going back and forth for a while in the meantime.

Yeah. That is why people only really 'cared' about who got it first.

NotInHere

When Messi retires, the WC wont be the platform used to judge him, but you know there's always going to be those that will try to belittle him if he doesn't win a WC. He will have broken so many records that the WC will be an after thought, he still has 2018 though, he'd be exiting his prime then but he will still be one of the best. What Messi is doing right now is scary though.... Like scary good, he sees the angles of the pitch and the game like no other, I have this feeling that he will be a top 5 player well into his 30's, that's how good he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans