Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flavia

CA5ix_KWkAAckQu.jpg:large

CA5OX8lXIAEOtD3.jpg

Right arm and left leg. Mr tattoo :lol:

doublehh03

Lionel Messi is the best club player in the history. There's no debate.

It's where you bring in the WC that you can argue against Messi. Many people still consider the WC the greatest trophy in all of football, and rightfully so. Sucks that it is once every 4 years.

I disagree with the notion that the WC is the greatest trophy in all of football. For starters, you have to be born in the right country to even have the chance of playing in it. Should the next Messi be born in, for example, the Philippines, there would be no chance of him ever coming close to lifting that trophy.

That being said, with or without a WC, Messi is the greatest IMO.

skn02

I disagree with the notion that the WC is the greatest trophy in all of football. For starters, you have to be born in the right country to even have the chance of playing in it. Should the next Messi be born in, for example, the Philippines, there would be no chance of him ever coming close to lifting that trophy.

That and I consider World Cup as a "lottery" cup, you need everything going your way to win it, it's hugely luck dependent tournament. We all know Messi is good enough to win, the question is if he'll be lucky enough to win it, he came real close last time, he's got 2 more shots realistically.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
That and I consider World Cup as a "lottery" cup, you need everything going your way to win it, it's hugely luck dependent tournament. We all know Messi is good enough to win, the question is if he'll be lucky enough to win it, he came real close last time, he's got 2 more shots realistically.

If he plays 2 more WC, it'll probably be in a more play-maker role and let new young talents do the scoring, and even if Argentina wins, then the critics would say that he's not the one that made them win bla bla bla ... for me he is GOAT with or without WC, WC was great before because there wasn't as much internet and global diffusion on TV of all the tournaments, now the football we see every week and every year, no matter where we live, is La Liga and Champions League, WC is just fun to watch when it comes, but nowhere near as representative of a player's quality as is the league and CL !

doublehh03

I'm not disputing. But considering the majority of footballers consider the WC the greatest prize, that's why Messi'sstatus as GOAT is arguable to some.

doublehh03

If he plays 2 more WC, it'll probably be in a more play-maker role and let new young talents do the scoring, and even if Argentina wins, then the critics would say that he's not the one that made them win bla bla bla ... for me he is GOAT with or without WC, WC was great before because there wasn't as much internet and global diffusion on TV of all the tournaments, now the football we see every week and every year, no matter where we live, is La Liga and Champions League, WC is just fun to watch when it comes, but nowhere near as representative of a player's quality as is the league and CL !

I think he will still be the best player in 3 years time. He will only be 30. If Robben can better his game as he ages, with the skillset that Messi has, no doubt this guy can play at this GOAT level until 32-33 AT LEAST.

Remember, many games this year he wows the whole world without scoring a goal.

I'm not disputing. But considering the majority of footballers consider the WC the greatest prize, that's why Messi'sstatus as GOAT is arguable to some.

I think it's a generational thing. The players with this mindset grew up in an age where most football matches can only be seen either live, on tape, or on delayed telecast. Even the Champions League back then was an after thought. In a way, I can't really blame them but like I said it is terribly unfair for players who do not come from countries that are traditionally competitive. No wonder most of the GOATS we talk about either come from Brazil and Argentina, the exceptions being Zidane, Baggio and Cruyff.

barcanuck

As these two games are both friendlies and Messi is the undisputed champion of pacing himself, he's probably going to exert less energy on the field than he does in one of Luchos 5v5 training matches that they do on a daily basis. :lol:

He will be a little jetlagged when he's back since he's been in the US for 2 weeks, but other than that I think this could function as a sort of "training vacation" for him, which could have a refreshing effect, especially mentally.

This!

No worries guys Lent isn't going to Bolivia.

LordLichtenstein

Guardiola in his 1st season coaching F.C. Barcelona = 67.7 % win ratio
Enrique in his 1st season coaching F.C. Barcelona = 84.1 % win ratio (after 44 games)

Can't believe people wanted him fired in January! I am glad Messi and Lucho put aside their differences and did what was best for the team.

raskolnikov

Guardiola in his 1st season coaching F.C. Barcelona = 67.7 % win ratio
Enrique in his 1st season coaching F.C. Barcelona = 84.1 % win ratio (after 44 games)

Can't believe people wanted him fired in January! I am glad Messi and Lucho put aside their differences and did what was best for the team.
Made perfect sense though, we were dropping points constantly, got schooled by psg and Real, his continued rotating every game.
Wasnt untill Anoeta when players started going crazy causing him to use a continued line up and the results improved.
There was all the reason in the world for him to be fired, if he wasnt so stubborn we would have been up 7/10 points by now rather than 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans