10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flavia

I think the the article was saying people reject Messi being the best player of all time because he hasn't won a world cup, therefore he said well you can't argue he isn't the best club player of all time.

Carragher was never specifically saying Messi isn't the best player of all time because no WC win, he was just saying 'oh you have a comeback to that, well then what about him being the best club player of all time'

At least that's how I read it. :shrug:

Even that is wrong, imo. Ability-wise, he is the best. Anyone rejecting that is nuts. And he still has at least one wc to try to win it too.

I don't know which argument is more stupid, the wc argument or the "only did it in one league" one. Also the assumption that Messi would score like 40% goals less anywhere else. Collective daydreaming, lol.

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
I don't know which argument is more stupid, the wc argument or the "only did it in one league" one. Also the assumption that Messi would score like 40% goals less anywhere else. Collective daydreaming, lol.

Exactly, you never hear people say that about Di Stefano or Cruyff, yet Messi "has" to win the WC to become the greatest.

Tiny Kim

Wasn't that cause Suarez dived a bunch of times during that game? Or played dirty?(still hypocritical as Mou has some dirty guys in the team :lol:) I can't remember exactly. Priase of skill then complained about antics, it's different, but I could be wrong I can't totally remember what was said or what happened.

I don't remember him diving "a bunch of times". However he went down very easy a couple of times, and was brought down inside the penalty box but wrongly ignored by the referee. The thing with Suarez is that he actually very rarely "dives" in the truest sense of the word, but he does exaggerate minimal contact often.

Anyway, Mourinho was one to talk. His team collected the most YC for diving, but of course, his players were "targeted by referees" while an opposition player was pushed and kicked around by his own team and he's "diving"? There are a lot of reasons I can't stand Mourinho, and his overwhelming hypocrisy is one of them.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
I said best club player of all time because if he was the best player as a whole he'd have lead Argentina to a WC win in Brazil, it's not like he was too young or anything like that, and his team did make the final and had some pretty good chances score some goals in the first half. I mean, Germany weren't even very good in the final yet he was even worse... Not even just the final, the whole KO stages. His club performances and trophy cabinet far eclipse pretty much everyone, but he hasn't performed when it matters most for Argentina, getting to finals and losing isn't enough for the man hailed by a lot as the full stop greatest ever(not saying anything about Copa 2007, he was only 20). Not trying to sound like a prick, but if the guy hailed as THE best of all time couldn't win a national trophy by the end of his career it'd almost sound like a joke. For me, the way to measure the greatness of a player in history is his footballing ability + his level of performance for his teams. Leo is arguably the player with the greatest footballing ability, and he's shown this at club level, but he needs to show it for Argentina in a final.

Of course, depending on who you ask, winning trophies with the national side may not be a prerequisite for being the absolute best of all time, and even if he doesn't, he's still top 5, no doubts about that. Doesn't matter what you think about the whole winning a national trophy thing, you just cannot ignore his club career, and the fact that he's so good with his club that he's mentioned alongside legendary players who have won national trophies despite not winning one is an absolute credit to the man, I cannot stress this enough. But almost all of those who have been hailed as THE greatest at some point or another have won it. Note I said almost, so bring up Cruyff if you want but that's been covered. :p Plus, as good as Cruyff is he's not the best of all time anyway, neither is Di Stefano, but they are up there, just like Messi.

Now, that all said, he's got more Copa Americas and at least one more World Cup to go, he could win them and then there will be absolutely no argument that he's the greatest, nobody can refute it, nobody. I'll be the first person out of those who doesn't think he's the greatest overall player in history to admit that he IS the best of all time, no questions, no arguments, I absolutely, 100% guarantee that(not that it matters to anyone if I do, lol). Hazard is similar but worse, great at club level but very underwhelming for Belgium, at this stage he's seemingly more of a a club star as well, though at least Messi does perform outside of the huge moments for his national team, unlike Eden most of the time. Oh, and the whole one league argument is BS. I think the national team argument is legit, but the one league one isn't. That'd mean Maldini isn't that good either, but he's one of the greatest defenders of all time, everyone can agree on that. He's my favourite defender and one of the first names I'd put on my best XI teamsheet, but in terms of overall success he's not the best, but like Messi he came damn close twice. Anyway, you can reply to my post if you want, but I'm probably not going to get into this discussion any further because I don't have anything more to say, and nothing anyone here can say will change my mind either. :p We all have our own opinions on everything, this is mine, tell me I'm wrong if you want, that's fine.

RE: Carragher article, I didn't even know about it until I read about it here tbh, I've always maintained Messi is awesome at club level but not national.
Anyway, Mourinho was one to talk. His team collected the most YC for diving, but of course, his players were "targeted by referees" while an opposition player was pushed and kicked around by his own team and he's "diving"? There are a lot of reasons I can't stand Mourinho, and his overwhelming hypocrisy is one of them.
You do realise that a few of those yellows were actually incorrect, right? Not because of a campaign, just human error. Shit happens.

Tiny Kim

You do realise that a few of those yellows were actually incorrect, right? Not because of a campaign, just human error. Shit happens.

And yet all the YC Suarez got for "diving" and all the actual foul calls he didn't get were legitimate decisions, right? Is it only human error when the player in question is not collectively vilified by the national media? I'm guessing you think the only time Chelsea players ever dived was that one time they got that YC, right?

F

Flavia

So, antonnn, if Messi was Australian, he could never be the best ever, because the Australian nt sucks? That's why this argument is pure bs. Times are different too. You don't see a nt dominating, as it happened in the past.

Messi is already the 2nd best goalscorer for Argentina too. And the argies have tradition and all, but it's been a while since they had a very good team.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Okay, so I wasn't going to reply, but I actually realised I did miss something in my original post, as well as Australia being brought up. Firstly, the only reason people are having this argument about Messi is because he hasn't won a national trophy, and because of that his fans need to justify him being the absolute best despite not winning it. That, and being from a lesser national side makes a bit of a difference in the argument, though not huge, no when it comes to overall. A lot of the best players in history are from strong countries due to great football development in those places, when it comes to if Messi was Australian, if he lead a lame Aussie side to a WC final, for example, that'd be a pretty good achievement, but tbh still not enough, but it's much more of an achievement than losing with Argentina in the final. At best, the most likely case is a player from a weak country could be considered the best club player, but for a player from that country, that's actually HUGE, but you still won't be seen as a player as good as say, Maradona, Pele or Messi if he ends up actually winning a national trophy. It's just bad luck really, if you're a world class player from a lesser national side you're probably only going to be winning Asia Cups or the AFCON and be hailed as the greatest ever from your country or from that continent, and definitely in with a chance to be hailed as one of the greatest, but you won't be the greatest. It ain't fair but that's how it is, imo. Plus, being the best club player of all time is nothing to laugh at.

So no, the national team argument is not pure bs, it's something Messi fans need to argue against because he hasn't won one yet.

Let's do this, let's swap Ronaldo and Messi's footballing abilities and trophy cabinet but not their clubs, and let's say Messi won the WC. Ronaldo is clearly the better player, still plays for Real Madrid, has had way more success at club level but hasn't won a World Cup, everyone else in the world still thinks Ronaldo is better because he's just a far better footballer(ability-wise) and has had unparalleled success with his club. In this situation Messi fans would absolutely say Messi is better overall in history because he's won a national team trophy and Ronaldo hasn't. They would argue to their graves that Messi is better. But not a single Messi fan will admit that right now, not in this argument. The situation would be the same if Ronaldo won and Messi hadn't and the two had their actual trophy cabinets and footballing ability. Even I'd say Ronaldo is better than Messi(which I do not believe in actuality) in that particular case, as a whole, not on footballing ability(it's evident who is better), but in the measuring footballing ability + team performances and trophies, which is what decides if you are the best ever or not, for me, of course.

Put it this way, if Zidane played for Algeria, won nothing with his national team but still has the same club success that he's had, he wouldn't be seen in the same light as he is now. He'd be still pretty high up, but not where he currently is. Doesn't matter how good you are, a World Cup just adds that shine to your career that even several CLs cannot. Even with a tonne of club success, being the most gifted footballer of all time isn't enough to put you up as number 1. Like I said, the "best player of all time" who hasn't won a World Cup sounds like a bad joke.

Last edited:

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
Messi is the goat. The WC argument is useless, arbeloa has one .. that should tell you something.

Again, if the WC was every year, i'm sure Messi would have 2 or 3, it's like when people were saying he can't score on Neuer after he faced him just 3 times.

F

Flavia

Let's do this, let's swap Ronaldo and Messi's footballing abilities and trophy cabinet but not their clubs, and let's say Messi won the WC. Ronaldo is clearly the better player, still plays for Real Madrid, has had way more success at club level but hasn't won a World Cup, everyone else in the world still thinks Ronaldo is better because he's just a far better footballer(ability-wise) and has had unparalleled success with his club. In this situation Messi fans would absolutely say Messi is better overall in history because he's won a national team trophy and Ronaldo hasn't. They would argue to their graves that Messi is better. But not a single Messi fan will admit that right now, not in this argument. The situation would be the same if Ronaldo won and Messi hadn't and the two had their actual trophy cabinets and footballing ability. Even I'd say Ronaldo is better than Messi(which I do not believe in actuality) in that particular case, as a whole, not on footballing ability(it's evident who is better), but in the measuring footballing ability + team performances and trophies, which is what decides if you are the best ever or not, for me, of course.

Put it this way, if Zidane played for Algeria, won nothing with his national team but still has the same club success that he's had, he wouldn't be seen in the same light as he is now. He'd be still pretty high up, but not where he currently is. Doesn't matter how good you are, a World Cup just adds that shine to your career that even several CLs cannot.

That's also a flawed argument. It's not a trophy cabinet that sets a player's ability. And of course it matters how good one is. Or it should. In the future, a player as good or better than Messi can appear, and if he isn't one from a traditional football country, and has no way of winning one wc, then he can never be hailed the best? It's the same here. Messi is the best. He doesn't have the best trophy cabinet, but he is the best player to have ever played the game. It's pretty simple, actually.

As an individual player, he is the best. Football is a team sport, and that's why trophies alone cannot decide who is the best or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans