10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Messi's improvement in finishing over the years

Better conversion rate despite taking more shots every year, amazing. The best finishers are Messi, Higuain, Gomez and RvP. If this analysis could include shot location, it would be a great source of evidence for any striker/finisher debate.

shot-conversion-total-shots-players.png

What the hell is Downing doing on that diagram :lol:

footyfan

Calma, calma
Downing lies more than 2 standard errors below the average. That means that his shittiness is not down to luck or chance, but rather his own lack of skills.

Last edited:

Kerrybai

It is true that players like Messi have higher conversion rates as they take a lot of their shots inside the box. However it's interesting that Messi has the most goals from outside the box this season (6) in La Liga. I'd love to see more detailed analysis showing conversion rates for shots inside and outside of the box.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
It is true that players like Messi have higher conversion rates as they take a lot of their shots inside the box. However it's interesting that Messi has the most goals from outside the box this season (6) in La Liga. I'd love to see more detailed analysis showing conversion rates for shots inside and outside of the box.

I don't think Messi's shots and goals are coming from a poacher's range. You can see a youtube collection of all Messi's goals and see the diversity in the locations from his goals. His total shots also share this diversity. He just has great accuracy and finishing skills.

Also whereas Messi might be taking a lot of his shots from more advantageous positions, it is worth noting that he is not sitting there in those positions and waiting, just to convert the shots. Many of his shots from said positions come from plays started outside the box that either he himself started, or that he was involved in building.

Messi role as a false 9 is pretty indicative that while he might indeed be taking higher percentage shots, it is not all from a static position, but from his involvement in creating them. Messi is very rarely just sitting inside the box. He is much more likely to be sitting just outside the box, receiving a pass and doing a lay-off, and just sprinting to receive service back inside the box.

Alexis Sanchez for instance, this season might show a high percentage of his goals coming in poacher's range.

footyfan

Calma, calma
I just realized that this is Messi's worst season in terms of finishing conversion. He's at 13% conversion, per league stats.

20j21r5.png

FiReFTW

I agree Messi is not the same as before injury, he is still not 100%, but I guess you have to expect this from an injury. What I am wondering tho, is why is he so static when given some space? Messi from before when given some space would charge into it like a headless chicken or crazy dog, attacking it with fury. Messi today seems to just stand still then pass the all somewhere ( ALOT more than before ), or he starts to jog with the ball slowly and then pass it or something. Bottom line is, he doesn't seem so aggressive and crazy in exploding into spaces as before, almost like hes afraid, afraid to get injured again?

Kerrybai

I agree Messi is not the same as before injury, he is still not 100%, but I guess you have to expect this from an injury. What I am wondering tho, is why is he so static when given some space? Messi from before when given some space would charge into it like a headless chicken or crazy dog, attacking it with fury. Messi today seems to just stand still then pass the all somewhere ( ALOT more than before ), or he starts to jog with the ball slowly and then pass it or something. Bottom line is, he doesn't seem so aggressive and crazy in exploding into spaces as before, almost like hes afraid, afraid to get injured again?

They discussed his performances on sky sports. They made the point that he still explodes with his acceleration, just less than before. This would suggest he is the same player as before his injury but is conserving himself. He could be saving himself for the world cup. Liverpool fans have noticed the same with Suarez. Suarez recently commented that he is worried about picking up an injury before the world cuo and as a result he appears to be playing below his normal level that he was at before Christmas.

Btw Messi completed 5 dribbles yesterday. He was destroying the opposition. Hopefully someone puts up a compilation soon of his performance.

R

RandomGuy80

I watch Barca games since 7 years now, and i really dont understand how so many of you say that Messi got lazy and not on his prime since his injury...even before his injury he didnt seem so motivated. Under Villanova i already saw him more and more lazy and that despite all the goals he made, which mainly were possible because the whole team was feeding him with passes inside the box. I really miss the Messi under Pep, that Messi was hungry, wanted to proof he is the best and wasnt walking around arrogantly like the team should be thankfull he even walk on field with them..I really think Barca needs a star coach who is brave enough to criticise even a player like Messi. I just dont think that coaches like Tito and Tata can do that. And if Messi is really only playing like this to save energy for the WC than he should be benched for games he doesnt deliver and be subbed from time to time. No player should have the right to not give 100 % and not be criticised..not even the best player in the world, that he still is. But he needs to show it again.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One mit Tapatalk

Kerrybai

Don't know but his stats were definitely better last season. He had what 6-7 freekick goals? Definitely a better ratio than this season.

Last season he had 4 free kick goals with Barca and 2 with Argentina. This season he has 2 with Barca. I imagine the ratio is pretty similar.

MMKa

Don't know goals/freekicks ratios, but goals / games here:
13-14: 2 / 29
12-13: 6 / 69
11-12: 3 / 82
10-11: 1 / 57
09-10: 2 / 48
08-09: 1 / 43

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans