10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flavia

I know that's how we played against Milan, but that was a very different scenario. Milan were much less of a threat going forward than a team like Atletico. Also I think barca could have played the first 11 in any system that game and completely demolished them. It also helped that we were at home in that game. Didn't we play the same system against PSG and struggle to get through?

A cf in the squad don't necessarily mean it'd be the only way to play. But having a versatile squad would be great, to have options. something that there isn't with this squad right now. There are no options, all the forwards are similar.

And Meta(a former poster) with some good insights... Food for thought, especially about Cesc.

klc123

A cf in the squad don't necessarily mean it'd be the only way to play. But having a versatile squad would be great, to have options. something that there isn't with this squad right now. There are no options, all the forwards are similar.

And Meta(a former poster) with some good insights... Food for thought, especially about Cesc.

Ok, but surely we could just play sanchez as an actual CF then? He's pacey, relatively strong, and although not as technical as the other players he is still ok at finishing.

I agree that it's always good to have options, but I still think we need to perfect our A-game before we put much effort into devising a plan-B. If the A-game is good enough it can beat any team.

edit:
Not sure why that guy is blaming xavi for the formation problems and lack of imagination. I also think saying the way forward for barca is more direct football is false. I'd love to see proof that Xavi specifically asked to play him iniesta and cesc, with only one winger.

MagicianMessi

Number 2 is such a bullshit excuse. It is not his job to priortise. "It's ok guys, I want to save myself for the WC. We may another CL in the few years, though." Either he gives 100% or acquaint his bottom with the bench.

Why not. Most the legend players like pele, maradona,zidane etc have won the WC. He may be not in his good shape for the next WC and because of the recent injuries he didnt want to take the risk of getting injured again. Even I am hate to say this but it is a possibility.

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism

He's finally stopped tweeting about David Moyes?

Andrew M

Why not. Most the legend players like pele, maradona,zidane etc have won the WC. He may be not in his good shape for the next WC and because of the recent injuries he didnt want to take the risk of getting injured again. Even I am hate to say this but it is a possibility.

He is not entitled to win the WC. Let's just write off every world cup year because messi needs to fulfill his dream.

I bet if Dani Alves wanted to save himself for the WC and put in only 50% people would want his head on a stick. Not very democratic.

L

linetty

"going through periods where he's obviously holding something back to avoid injury. makes him an easy target [...] the world cup will come & go and Messi will be back to giving 110%. that'll shut the Catalans up and everything will spin on"

He's probably right.

MagicianMessi

Ok, but surely we could just play sanchez as an actual CF then? He's pacey, relatively strong, and although not as technical as the other players he is still ok at finishing.

Ok at finishing. Don't think that is enough. As far I have seen his finishing is poor than Pedro. A CF like Eto'o in front of Messi ( not Sanchez) will be a good one I think.

hellsangel1

Why are Barca fans on this forum so obsessed with the idea of getting a big CF to lump the ball at?
This forum was full of people complaining when Barca were winning games with very direct football, now we lost playing direct football and you want to go even more direct? Why don't we just ask to be transferred to the EPL and axe our youth system while we are at it, clearly our footballing philosophy is "outdated" and will never work again.

How about we go back to playing the same system that guardiola took over the world with, that inspired fans across the planet, and is now working for bayern munich.

If you think Bayern are better than barca due to the fact that their CF's are a bit taller, then you are completely delusional, and I pray Bayern draw Atleti to show everyone how possession football can crack any team, parked bus or not, when it is played well and perfected.

The reason we are having problems now is in my opinion due to a lack of decent personnel at the back, and a complete lack of organisation and system in the team. We are a shadow of the passing team we were under Guardiola.

To start a champions league tie against any team at home with andres on the wing is a travesty. That's like conceding a draw before the game has even begun. But to do the exact same mistake in the second leg where we HAVE to score to stay in the competition is just plain negligence in my opinion. Someone needs to get their notepad out and take note from how Pep has bayern playing now, because they are playing nearly the exact same as the way we played under guardiola. You won't see him pumping 40 lofted crosses into atleticos box when he plays them.

Getting back on topic, the idea of having a CF instead of messi isn't going to achieve anything. We might get the odd extra goal from a header, but we will throw the ball away 10 times more often than we already are, and that is the heart of our defensive problems.

Wow what a post. As if asking for a little bit more height in our frontline or more variety in our attacking play will make us into an 'EPL' team. Since when was having a team full of small players part of the 'barca philosophy' ???? Even Cryuff's Ajax teams would put crosses in.

And to say that 'Someone needs to get their notepad out and take note from how Pep has bayern playing now, because they are playing nearly the exact same as the way we played under guardiola' is plain incorrect. They pass more than they did under Jupp Heynckes and are more methodical in their buildup play but Pep takes advantage of world class wingers who whenever given the opportunity approach the byline and put crosses in. Their build-up play is methodical but in the final third they are completely different from pep's barcelona. Our possession and passing play relied on some of the greatest players to ever play this game but Xavi is old now and Iniesta will be 30 in a months time, do you think we can continue to play the same style as Guardiola in the future???You're clearly deluded if you think we can ever return to that type of tiki-taka and that style also worked best UNTIL teams started parking the bus like Chelsea and our lack of penetration and danger posed from wide areas means that our attacking options are limited to a narrow portion of the pitch.

Look nobody is saying that we should scrap our style completely and become a Jose Mourinho type counter attacking team but this team needs fresh new ideas and less reliance on Messi but you still dream of the past and the lack of evolution and flexibility in Barcelona's game has hurt them I feel . Otherwise you can have your meaningless 70% possession with no penetration and trying to pass our way in front of a crowd of bodies down the middle and relying on Messi to beat 3 or 4 defenders in tight spaces to score a goal. And the heart of our problem isn't 'throwing the ball away' even though our defence is a clear problem, we are still a methodical team and had 71% possession yesterday against Atletico . Just because you have more possession doesn't give you an inherent right to win a football game. Never at any point did I felt yesterday that Atletico were in danger of losing this tie, we posed very little threat or danger when we had the ball.

MagicianMessi

He is not entitled to win the WC. Let's just write off every world cup year because messi needs to fulfill his dream.

I bet if Dani Alves wanted to save himself for the WC and put in only 50% people would want his head on a stick. Not very democratic.

FYI the way Alves is playing everybody wants him out of the squad next season.:p

Mitchell1978

so basically him running 6,8 km is perfectly normal for him going back as far as the 10-11 season, a season that was probably the peak of this barcelona generation

ceefoo

Atletico Madrid 1 - 0 Barcelona CL QF 2nd leg (Atletico win 2 - 1 on aggregate)

I don't buy this accusation that he was "Saving himself for the World Cup". I don't think any player of right mind will go in to a crucial knock-out CL tie and not be fully focused.

What happens with Messi is when the Coach or Team doesn't play to his strengths, he goes into his shell. That's all what happened. Everyone knows Leo hates playing on the Wing. His game is too static to play out wide and he doesn't make runs off the ball. He likes to play in the Centre where he is constantly involved in play and get plenty of touches of the ball.

He DOES still need to show more off-the-ball movement. 1km more covered than our Goalkeeper is an embarrassment. :facepalm1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans