10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

aki13

Despite the fact I have defended Leo above and believe some are way too short sighted, I will say he hasn't performed well in the last four matches and something is clearly wrong.

I mean his performances since his return in January are not of 2009-2013 standards but they have been decent. Scoring all the goals and creating that Tello hattrick.

So actually look at it and its the last month that something has changed. I mean a player at 85-90% of his best in Jan-Mar 2014 doesn't suddenly drop to 20% of his normal self and we call the natural decline.

He is in poor form no doubt because you look at his touch and finesse of the ball and its poor for him and he is looking unmotivated. However that doesn't mean he doesn't love the club. I think the badge kiss 4 weeks ago showed that.

So clearly something has happened recently behind the scenes and that has coupled with poor form to lead to the last few games.

I don't know the answer but I think maybe people need to try and understand whats wrong for Leo and help him, rather than just shout that he is scum and is pathetic. Maybe support in hard times rather than hate may help.

Zincubus

Banned
Exactly I remember him tugging it out with almost everyone near him to get the ball but he has a mental block this season its like he has the Falcao injury in his mind that might mean he would miss the WC

Saurez is on record as stating that he's dreading getting a bad injury , he worries about it all the time .

Look at the difference in attitude and performance . Poles apart .

CatalinR10

Saurez is on record as stating that he's dreading getting a bad injury , he worries about it all the time .

Look at the difference in attitude and performance . Poles apart .

You can't compare the 2 cases. Suarez is on the point of winning the BPL while never winning it so far so of course he will give his best. Messi won it all with the club multiple times and set some records that we won't see anyone beat them. The world cup will be the most important moment for Messi in recent years.

aki13

I don't buy the whole saving himself to that extent.

I think Messi will be thinking about the World Cup as Argentina are basically waiting to love or dismiss him based on this world cup.

After a poor 2010 World Cup and 2011 Copa and the Argentine's not loving Messi much, he has more pressure than just about anyone in the world of football this summer.

That said Its clearly something else that's wrong.

I have said I believe the last year before his first injury we were at the end of Messi's personal peak even at 26. I consider 2009-2012 his 100% with injuries over 2013 and know returning in 2014 he has been at 85% of that until a month ago.

The last month he has been at 15-20% of his best. So people need to think about that. You don't lose 70% in a month, thus something deeper is wrong.

No one can know what that is. Despite us all speculating, but I do think the calls that he is pathetic are crazy. Your best player clearly has problems and issues in the last 3 or 4 games and you call for him to be sold? Poor fan attitude IMO.

I mean he might have personal issues, he may have an injury niggle that's bothering him, he may have fallen out with Tata. There are all kinds of answers and we need to wait and see what they are.

We need to support Leo and the whole Barca team and discover whats wrong and help and support any changes that need to be made.

I wont lie. I was a Messi fan first after watching him play and I started following Barca generally. I am not an avid and long term supporter of Barca like a lot of you guys, but I believe from a slightly more neutral angle that a lot of Barca fans appear to have been spoilt during the good times of the team and Messi.

I think in some ways It would be good to see Messi move one and have a new challenge away from a lot of people who clearly cant except one bad month in 8 legendary seasons.

Look at the bigger picture guys. Messi can still be great again, but maybe it needs to be for another club if you don't want him.

CatalinR10

Top scorers Spanish Cup

BlYhx6oCMAAP_hD.jpg

L

linetty

I wonder how many km he has ran now? He just stood there in the middle, pressing only twice or thrice in the whole match. I love him so much that I can't stand that. He just goes by unnoticed once again.

L

linetty

He's not saving himself for anything. He's needs a great coach again. Tata's tatics ruined him.
Please...no matter what tactics he would use, Messi was able to dribble past 5-6 defenders without any problems...now he's not even trying! No movement, he just stands there waiting for the game to end.

Maybe he does it on purpose, so we lose everything and Tata gets fired & the socios vote for no confidence against the board & the elections are held! genius

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
I wonder how many km he has ran now? He just stood there in the middle, pressing only twice or thrice in the whole match. I love him so much that I can't stand that. He just goes by unnoticed once again.

He was involved in number of attack build ups, I noticed that he tried to change his position many times, he operated in the middle, also on the right wing on couple of occasions and he was waiting for the pass as if he were real CF but nothing worked, you could see that he was frustrated, argued with the ref a couple of times.

Last edited:

BarcaGirl

Cesar Menotti:

"Messi has to overcome the sadness of poor performances & rediscover the joy, pride and passion it takes to play at Barca."
"I’ve seen more mental fatigue in Leo than physical. It’s normal when there are a lot of games and he has many obligations."
"I don’t think he is already thinking of Brazil. I think there is some disorder in his head, that his head is muddled."
"Messi is always very open-handed. I don’t think it has anything to do with the World Cup. He needs some rest and support."

Zincubus

Banned

Well he apparently ran less than Pinto last night , that's all we need to know :(

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know what so good about that piece. Bunch of guessing. Messi has a perfect role in the team and has a manager from his own home-town. You really think he's that bothered with board issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans