10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flavia

I don't know what so good about that piece. Bunch of guessing. Messi has a perfect role in the team and has a manager from his own home-town. You really think he's that bothered with board issues?

He having a go at Faus wasn't a sign he was that content. And his role right now isn't perfect. Tata being from the same town as him means nothing.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
One board member makes one clumsy remark about him? And then everyone goes back to kissing his feet. Was that it?
So Messi refuses to run and fight for his team? Makes sense.

Board did everything to please Messi aside from that stupid one off remark by Faus. You think appointing a manager from his own home town was a coincidence?

F

Flavia

This "Messi refuse to run and fight" is nonsense. He and the team were doing well until few weeks ago... Also I don't know who is kissing his feet. Many things are wrong right now, and I won't blame any players. Not even Alves. The real problem lies elsewhere.

As a Barca fan...

Barcelona doesn't owe anything to Messi. Barcelona took a gamble on him in 2000, while his beloved Argentinian teams refused to fork out the money for his treatment. It made Messi what he is today: a very rich individual, with a system adapted to his needs, with fellow footballers that feel the need to pass to him instead of going for the goal themselves. Barca kept Pinto because he was his best friend, moved Ibra from his favored spot, didn't allow him to be substituted for a long period of time, even took the gamble and brought an Argentinian coach from his own home town.

Now, you might say Messi repaid this in full and I agree. But this doesn't work when one of the two parties begins to take advantage of the situation, as Messi does at this moment. Leaving aside all of the spewed bullshit, Messi is in a clear decline. While his stats are still respectable by any world-class standards, his general attitude, play and interest aren't that good. Having a bad day is nothing spectacular; but not even trying in the games that would define our season is something I can't defend. Forget the team's performance; Messi gets that much cash, that much leverage, that much influence and that much say in the Barca universe because he is supposed to be THE BEST. Think about that word: it doesn't mean goals or assists, it means the belief of others that he is the best. In 2010 all he got was La Liga while others conquered the World Cup or the Champions League; he still received the Ballon d'Or because most of us thought of him as being the best there is. Ronaldo scored more goals in La Liga in 2010/2011; did we say: hey, Ronaldo must be the best player in the world? I sure didn't.

Yes, goals and penalties are important. Yes, Xavi, even possesion is important. But they are insignificant compared to the team's performance. We might like or not Messi, Fabregas or Neymar; but at the end of the day we're all Barca fans and all we care is the well-being of the team. Messi's records are nothing to me; some people enjoy him breaking Barca records as if the Rivaldo or Cesar Rodriguez were the enemy. They were Barca players, too and their records were our own. If I have to choose between Barca winning a Spanish Supercup or Messi winning the World Cup, I'd choose the lesser trophy each and every time. That's why I don't like how Messi is playing at this moment. And that's why I'm not trying to soften the shock by reminiscing about the good old days or holding the idiotic belief that Messi is somehow shielded from ever declining and that the guilty party must be someone else (candidates: Rosell, the board, Ronaldo, Pinto/Fabregas, Martino... btw, if you're looking for scapegoats, why not his son? Family life changes a person and perhaps football doesn't seem that much important compared to a newly-born baby).

And please announce me when Barca starts cutting his salary or refusing his demands before pointing fingers at Barcelona.

Tl;dr - Messi and Barcelona had a great working relationship. But if this begins to crumble, I'm choosing Barca as my side each and every time.

Last edited:

Maria

Barca kept Pinto because he was his best friend

So Barca should have found a better 2nd GK? And if so, who do you have in mind: Casillas, Neuer or maybe Courtois?

moved Ibra from his favored spot

The one who moved Ibra from his favourite spot and put his ass on the bench was Bojan, not Messi.

even took the gamble and brought an Argentinian coach from his own home town.
Rosell admited before he left that he was the one who knew Tata before and he was the one who sugested him to Zubi..but if it makes feel better knowing that Tata is from the same town as Messi, then you can believe what you want. I guess Neymar was also bought because he was from the same continent as Messi.

Now, you might say Messi repaid this in full and I agree. But this doesn't work when one of the two parties begins to take advantage of the situation, as Messi does at this moment.

so it was all ok when the club forced Messi to play injured so we can make it to the CL SFs or Tito could have his precious 100 points league, but at the moment Messi has his worst season since 2008, then he is taking advantage of the club.

Last edited:
F

Flavia

I wonder who you are calling Barça. This board, that destroyed the greatest team this club ever had?

so it was all ok when the club forced Messi to play injured so we can make it to the CL SFs or Tito could have his precious 100 points, but at the moment Messi has his worst season since 2008, then he is taking advantage of the club.

Yes, the club has the right of using one of its players if he is fit enough. That's why it pays him a handsome salary. The fact that you believe that a player should have the right of refusing to play is truly mind-boggling. Whether the club is in the right or not (and the board proved without a doubt that it's filled with idiots and thieves), players should not be above the club. While I had no love for Tito, he was King, Emperor and Dictator on the field; Messi was a pawn, a soldier, a servant that moves according to its master.

BarcaGirl

Yes, the club has the right of using one of its players if he is fit enough. That's why it pays him a handsome salary. The fact that you believe that a player should have the right of refusing to play is truly mind-boggling. Whether the club is in the right or not (and the board proved without a doubt that it's filled with idiots and thieves), players should not be above the club. While I had no love for Tito, he was King, Emperor and Dictator on the field; Messi was a pawn, a soldier, a servant that moves according to its master.

jesus ...:facepalm:

Heavy

You could see that Messi was very frustrated during the game, arguing with the referee, etc. Obviously he care.

He improved 3x when the tactics changed. Messi, Iniesta, Fabregas were bumping heads in the mid and Neymar joined them as he has trouble playing on the right wing and would frequently move more to the center. The end of the game with more width with Neymar on the left, Pedro on the right and with more space he started showing a bit of his usual self even though he was obviously not in a good frame of mind.

I

instinct

10155221_303709273118691_8864789698804168206_n.jpg

sickstar

After skipping granada and atleti matches, now i know why many people so disappointed about his performance.
Like Menotti said, something is clearly bugging his mind. I never seen him so uninspired before.
Too bad some people could even blame his child for his condition right now. For god sake, he could even retire from soccer at the end of this season (or after WC) and no one could change the fact that he is still one of Barca's legend. Certainly not from a sample of few appearances (outside his injury days) from this season.
I think it's best for Tata to bench Messi 1 or 2 matches, and let's see how he will respond.
If he truly still love the sport, i bet he will perform different when coming in as substitue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans