10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew M

Completely different cases. Ronaldinho became a liability both on and off the pitch. Messi runs around a bit less but still scores ridiculous amounts and is still the best player in the world. When Barca sold Ronaldinho he wasted away at Milan. If Barca sold Messi he'd win his new club the Champions League.

In 2006-07 Ronaldinho got 21 league goals, his most, but the decline was well underway.

And you can't make silly comments like Messi would win the Champions League with his new team when you have no idea.

I don't think we should sell, but if next season is similar it should be considered.

Leo10

All the other top players are giving 100% and they have more chance of winning the WC than Messi.

Did the other top players suffer a horrible injury for the first time in 5 years that recurred several times and made their last year the worst year of their career?

No they didnt. Messi did. After all he has done, he has all the rights to try and avoid injury.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
LOL. ''Horrible injury''? It's a hamstring. Several of those top players deal with that same injury. He's been fit for weeks now. It doesn't affect a player to be honest especially one as good as Leo. Most players, they give 100% anyway and trust that they will be fit.

Why should Messi get a free pass to not give a fuck? As long as you are selected for the first team you give 100%, or be benched. That's how it should be. I don't care if he is better than the alternatives even if he isn't trying. It's the principle that counts. Letting a player get away with that infects the whole squad.

Last edited:

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Because most of the players have to fight for a spot in the team & Messi doesn't have to.

I don't agree. By this point the first eleven of the top national teams are pretty much decided. Unless someone has a breakout season that year (like Costa), but that is rare.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
LOL. ''Horrible injury''? It's a hamstring. Several of those top players deal with that same injury. He's been fit for weeks now. It doesn't affect a player to be honest especially one as good as Leo. Most players, they give 100% anyway and trust that they will be fit.

Why should Messi get a free pass to not give a fuck? As long as you are selected for the first team you give 100%, or be benched. That's how it should be. I don't care if he is better than the alternatives even if he isn't trying. It's the principle that counts. Letting a player get away with that infects the whole squad.
You do realize that Messi unlike other players doesn't have a body in perfect balance. Due to his growth hormone deficiency at a young age some of Messi's muscles remained less developed than they should have been thats why he was so injury prone in the beginning of his career and probably why he is still afraid of another one when it has already occurred 3 times in the same year

Leo10

Horrible for him, he was injury free for 4 years.

Name one top player that had a similar bad year to the one Messi had.
Someone who forgot what an injury is, and then had this recurring nightmare.
Someone whos team was on the top of the world and now looks like this, it has a psychological effect.

Name me one player.

Bu3aLi

I believe that he will be bouncing back strong. This season was too fucked up to work anyway, too many crucial injuries in bad times.

I think we'll be seeing a different Messi in the WC. Pure Domination.

L

linetty

I don't agree. By this point the first eleven of the top national teams are pretty much decided. Unless someone has a breakout season that year (like Costa), but that is rare.
I disagree. A lot of players still fight to have a ticket to Brazil.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
If Messi/The fitness team were clever it wouldn't have recurred. He kept being rushed back. Fabregas had hamstring problems for years now he has none because the club and player manages his fitness and injuries properly. Messi has the power to say he ''I'm not ready yet'', so if he plays and gets the injury again its his fault (Also management). So yes I think its his own fault he had a bad year.

Also you're saying that now the team has a few issues he's allowed to just give up? That doesn't sound like Leo. He is a mentally strong player, who uses his talent to lift the team when its not good (he has done this before many times), so I don't think that is the reason. He obviously has other reasons. Either he doesn't give a fuck about Barca (he should be benched if that's the reason) or some other reason we don't know about.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
If Messi/The fitness team were clever it wouldn't have recurred. He kept being rushed back. Fabregas had hamstring problems for years now he has none because the club and player manages his fitness and injuries properly. Messi has the power to say he ''I'm not ready yet'', so if he plays and gets the injury again its his fault (Also management). So yes I think its his own fault he had a bad year.

Also you're saying that now the team has a few issues he's allowed to just give up? That doesn't sound like Leo. He is a mentally strong player, who should use his talent to lift the team when its not good (he has done this before many times), so I don't think that is the reason. He obviously has other reasons.
So you are basically saying that Messi should have rested and paced himself and immediately after you say that he should have done something to bail us out cool story bro. Messi never says no Pep said that he wants to play every minute it was the fitness staff's job to declare him unfit and Tito's to not be an effin idiot and play your best player into the ground but he was constantly played every match even after we had the league won and now we are suffering its consequences

Irish_Cules

In 2006-07 Ronaldinho got 21 league goals, his most, but the decline was well underway.

And you can't make silly comments like Messi would win the Champions League with his new team when you have no idea.

I don't think we should sell, but if next season is similar it should be considered.

You mean if he has another season like this one where he scores a hat trick in the Bernabeu and is 3 goals off being the leagues top goalscorer despite being injured for 3 months?

He plays in a team that has no defence and for a manager that drops in form players for out of form players who are then played out of position. He receives the ball less and now many of the attempts to give him the ball are wayward crosses.

His job shouldn't be to save this dysfunctional teams ass over and over again and get crucified when he doesn't.

Last edited:

Maria

You'd have to be naive to not think about the Ronaldinho case. Messi even slowed down some plays last night. Inconceivable 2-3 years ago.
Like I said, Ronaldinho couldn't even train because of how drunk he was most of the time..so unless you have inside information that Messi isn't training properly then you can't never compare the 2 of them, no matter how bad Messi is playing.

So we sell Messi..and then what? With this board, they will say that Deulofeu is his replacement and that's it.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
So you are basically saying that Messi should have rested and paced himself and immediately after you say that he should have done something to bail us out cool story bro. Messi never says no Pep said that he wants to play every minute it was the fitness staff's job to declare him unfit and Tito's to not be an effin idiot and play your best player into the ground but he was constantly played every match even after we had the league won and now we are suffering its consequences

Yeah save himself so that when he is ready he can give 100%. Not rush back and then do fuck all to prevent another injury. Also I did put some blame on the fitness team if you actually read my post. Thing is Messi has a brain and can think for himself ''Maybe I should wait another week and then I can play unrestrained, long term that's better for the team''.

A player should not be on the pitch for Barca unless he is able/willing to put in 100%. It's not just Messi btw before you think I'm singling him out. I'm just saying this because you lot rightly criticise the others for not trying but then apply another standard for Leo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans