10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamDav1982

I don't think any of you should downplay Maradona's World Cup as it was the greatest individual performance at the tournament in history, but the myth comes from the idea that it was only him who performed while everyone else was shit.

Absoultely it was the best individual world cup so it doesnt need the myth element to push it forward even more.

From Maradonas debut in 1977 to his last game in 1994 Argentina won four trophies he played in one of them. Lets not pretend this was a bunch of idiots that Maradona took on his own to glory.

F

Flavia

People would like Diego nowadays, he is a Charlie Sheen character.

I don't think so. Just look at balotelli, who is the closest to diego's insanity nowadays. Maradona suffered a lot when his drug problem came to light. On this day and age, the hate he'd get would be huge.

DB10

Maradona had personality, personality goes a long way. :p

PF.jpg

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Balotelli is just a moron and that's why people hate him. Diego is actually funny and also had quality in the pitch, he'd have a massive cult following I think especially from young men.

Gooch

It doesn't matter for me who the 'greatest' is, whatever that means. I hope it doesn't matter to Messi, either. For me, I enjoyed watching Maradona and I enjoy watching Messi. Both have wonderful aesthetic qualities, Maradona a bit more artistic and streetwise, and Messi with the amazing dribbles and his ability to do things that even Maradona would't try. I would pay to watch both, and that's what counts. I don't care what they've won, how much they've won, since I don't go to a football match to watch 'winning'. One team always wins (save for a draw)! I go to watch a beautiful game, and both Maradona and Messi have provided. Many years, Lionel!

Kerrybai

I hope Messi does a Robben and gets back to top form. Robben hit his best years in his late twenties, I'd love to see Messi do the same. I can't wait to see him back at the Camp Nou.

JamDav1982

The best example a Maradona myth would be the ITV during this world cup.

They flashed up a photo of Maradona vs Belgium when he had 6 players right on front of him.

One of the pundits said 'thats the difference, Maradona had all those players marking him and he still went past them all and scored'.

The other pundits nodded and agreed!

Not a clue between them that the picture is misleading as it was a wall that had just broken from a free kick. Not even that it was a game in 1982 when Argentina were beatedn 1-0/

DB10

If Maradona was so influential on his own why relatively poor trophy haul throughout his career?

Personality...what's that got to do with trophy hauls...Just saying Maradona has more character, its why people laud him more than Messi. I mean they even have a church dedicated to him in Argentina FFS!

He also shot reporters. :worthy:

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Personality...what's that got to do with trophy hauls...Just saying Maradona has more character, its why people prob like him more than Messi. I mean they even have a church dedicated to him in Argentina FFS!

Fair enough, I thought you meant character on the pitch etc which made him better than Messi.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Even if Messi does win it or some other trophies internationally people will pick Maradona. The older generation because of sentimentality and the younger because of everything they were told.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans