10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

linetty

55572_1398633603.jpg

serghei

The tactics don't suit Messi. Our play gravitates too much to the wings while it should be going through the middle to get Messi more involved. As the the highlighted part people really need to move past this, he hasn't run his ass off for a long time and I don't expect that to change. Also the benefit to cost ratio of Messi running is ass off is so marginal that it's not even worth worrying about. Messi uses his energy in short bursts so he's better off saving it for when he gets the ball

Agree to an extent. I don't expect Messi to do pressing or make tackles. So, his (lack of) movement when the opponent has the ball isn't key, nor a reason to panic. But when we are having the ball I expect constant movement. And the problem is I've seen him walking while we were trying to open teams up. He can rest a bit when we don't have the ball, but I expect him to be very active when we do.

NotInHere

Agree to an extent. I don't expect Messi to do pressing or make tackles. So, his (lack of) movement when the opponent has the ball isn't key, nor a reason to panic. But when we are having the ball I expect constant movement. And the problem is I've seen him walking while we were trying to open teams up. He can rest a bit when we don't have the ball, but I expect him to be very active when we do.
the worst part is when he runs into all the defenders and makes minimal movement when we have the ball, that literally makes it impossible for him to receive the ball and do damage, you also have to laugh how sometimes he expects a center from danny alves when theres like five jerseys on him.. He was fine against villareal though, i liked his explosiveness.

NotInHere

His dribblingskills declined over the years abit, he is not as fast on the first meters anymore. Anyway still the best player when it comes to beating defenders.
yeah thats the only conclusion I could come up with, messi from many seasons ago had the ball attached to his feet, nowadays like you guys say he gets dispossed a many times.

serghei

the worst part is when he runs into all the defenders and makes minimal movement when we have the ball, that literally makes it impossible for him to receive the ball and do damage, you also have to laugh how sometimes he expects a center from danny alves when theres like five jerseys on him.. He was fine against villareal though, i liked his explosiveness.

Yea, that's the main reason Pep played him as a false 9 in the first, to make sure that doesn't happen regularly. Messi rested a lot in Pep's era too, but didn't do it when the ball was to Xavi, Iniesta, Alves or Pedro. He did it mostly when the opponent had the ball.

Last edited:

Pepe Silvia

This.

Kerrybai

I think that's fair, unfortunately I don't think Messi is that kind of player. He's not a natural striker who makes runs off the ball, his skillset is suited to a number 10 more so than a traditional 9. It suits him when the ball is brought to him. I think we need to abandon our current tactics as they really do not suit Messi, in fact they don't get the most out of our entire team. He could make more of an effort at times but looking at the bigger picture our problems are far deeper than Messi's work rate.
yeah thats the only conclusion I could come up with, messi from many seasons ago had the ball attached to his feet, nowadays like you guys say he gets dispossed a many times.

He always lost the ball a lot, at least in my memory he did anyway.

serghei

I think that's fair, unfortunately I don't think Messi is that kind of player. He's not a natural striker who makes runs off the ball, his skillset is suited to a number 10 more so than a traditional 9. It suits him when the ball is brought to him. I think we need to abandon our current tactics as they really do not suit Messi, in fact they don't get the most out of our entire team. He could make more of an effort at times but looking at the bigger picture our problems are far deeper than Messi's work rate.

Unfortunately, Xavi is getting older and Iniesta is not a spring chicken either. And this will damage his legacy, because it will give some credit to those who said that Messi is not the same without Xavi and Iniesta next to him. If Messi's decline matches with Xavi's and even Iniesta's decline, than people should credit those two midfield greats more often -- even here, on barcaforum.

I will never say, for example, that Messi has won us throphies by himself, because in 2009-2012 we were a team, that did not depend on one man -- and that was the key to our success. I don't view Messi as a saviour at all, but it upsets me a little, because the new fans have started to look at Barcelona as just Messi's team. We were and we are much more than that. I'm curious, how many would be FC Barcelona fans if Messi leaves. I hope I never find out.

Mitchell1978

In youth teams Messi always played as a number 10 or a second forward from what i've read. So Nr 10 is probably his most natural position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans