10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stric

I don't know what you mean by formal visit. Surely every meeting with a country's president is a formal visit? It's obvious that some are thirsty to start another smear campaign against him, but they do have a point. If he was meeting Angela Merkel or Obama to commemorate the start of construction work on a stadium, he'd also be criticized (and rightfully so) for dressing like he's going down to the corner store to get a six pack. And I'm also pretty sure that not many other players would dress like that when meeting a president. I know it's hot and all, but everyone around him is dressed formally. And wearing shorts is really pushing it.

I think the real problem here is not what Messi wore, but these suggestions about WHY he wore that. The statements are a step away from implying that Messi is racist.

F

Flavia

Gabon president clothes weren't exactly formal either. They took him from the airplane like that, and they went straight to the stadium. Messi didn't go there to visit their president. Not a formal visit at all

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
There's a guy with sandals and another with jeans and a tucked in shirt in the back. Doesn't really scream formal attires there.

This is quite ridiculous. Hilarious, but ridiculous.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
He wasn't there on a formal visit. He's not a politician either.

Exactly. What the heck should he have been wearing? Suit and tie? Why? It wasn't a formal visit, it was a personal trip.

I do not understand those folks who criticize his attire AT ALL.

Last edited:

Morten

Gabon, was it? I dont know much, but i know many African countries have dictators, is this guy one of them? If so, i would say its distastefull/ignorant of Messi to do a stunt like this. If the president and his government is a decent group, then i dont mind.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Leo has learned from the best:

CLPuyol.jpg

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
i dont know if ~18% of his annual salary are peanuts

Even if he made another 15M in endorsements, 3.5M would still be another 10% on his yearly earnings. That's not peanuts, that's a significant amount.

But anyways, I've gone off topic.

3.5 million is not peanuts. As the poster just below you said, that's about 10% his total yearly earnings. That's not peanuts to anyone. Would you consider 10% of your income to be meaningless?

If YOU paid attention to my post, you'd see that I wasn't even criticizing him. My point was that I don't see how it matters if he got paid. I think he did, but I also cannot comprehend how it could possibly be something worth criticizing him for.

I wouldn't no... but then again I don't have a net worth of more than €200m. How much is €3m compared to that? Peanuts.

I'll happily give away 10% of my income if you gave me that much.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Gabon, was it? I dont know much, but i know many African countries have dictators, is this guy one of them? If so, i would say its distastefull/ignorant of Messi to do a stunt like this. If the president and his government is a decent group, then i dont mind.

And who determines which country is "a decent group"? The US? The west? UN? Yet, most of those so-called "despot" countries receive a lot of western tourists and businesses, in addition to full-fledged recognition and diplomatic relations from western governments.

I know Norway is among one of few countries that are pretty clean, but the rest of us are all guilty and have skeletons in our closet. Messi went to Gabon mostly to fulfill a promise he made to the Gabonian president and to support Eto'o 's foundation.

Of course such ridiculous criticism came from the opposition in Gabon, they will seize upon every opportunity and do everything they can to undermine the current government. If Messi had dressed up in suit and tie I am sure they would still have found something to criticize.

Ronaldo just went to Japan, a country that whitewashs its history, a country to this day still honors many Class A war criminals from WWII as heroes inside Yasukuni Shrine, where Japanese PM and many ministers pay visits. Then he went to the Big Bad China, an authoritarian state and of course one the worst enemies of the US and the west right now. Where was the criticism?

Alik

I guess it's a cultural thing.

Messi can wear what he wants, just people complaining for complainings sake. People should wear what they feel most comfortable in, they shouldn't be made to wear a suit because other people think it shows respect.

I'm most comfortable wearing pajamas.

Morten

And who determines which country is "a decent group"? The US? The west? UN? Yet, most of those so-called "despot" countries receive a lot of western tourists and businesses, in addition to full-fledged recognition and diplomatic relations from western governments.

I know Norway is among one of few countries that are pretty clean, but the rest of us are all guilty and have skeletons in our closet. Messi went to Gabon mostly to fulfill a promise he made to the Gabonian president and to support Eto'o 's foundation.

Of course such ridiculous criticism came from the opposition in Gabon, they will seize upon every opportunity and do everything they can to undermine the current government. If Messi had dressed up in suit and tie I am sure they would still have found something to criticize.

Ronaldo just went to Japan, a country that whitewashs its history, a country to this day still honors many Class A war criminals from WWII as heroes inside Yasukuni Shrine, where Japanese PM and many ministers pay visits. Then he went to the Big Bad China, an authoritarian state and of course one the worst enemies of the US and the west right now. Where was the criticism?

As i said, i dont know anything about Gabon or the government there. So im not judging anyone, but if they happen to be pretty bad, then yes, i think its distasteful. Yeah, norway is pretty clean, but we are certainly not flawless, and we do have skeletons in our closets, as do every country on earth, pretty much. I have nothing against Chinese people, but i would say i dont like the authorities there much either, though i guess life has improved for many the recent years. Im also well aware of Japans way of looking at history, they comitted horrible crimes in Asia/China during ww2, but they try to turn the blind eye towards it.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo

Pshh. Norway terrorized the world with Viking raids of looting, pillaging and killings. Don't you watch Vikings? DonAK's hand are bloodied!

Even Switzerland is dirty. They have Sepp Blatter!

In fact, Messi should only travel to the Moon from now on. Only place neutral and clean. Except perhaps the Dark Side of the Moon, no one knows whats going on there. He should stay away from that side lest he gets accused of colluding with Dark and Sinester matters.

Mars attacked us already, I saw Mars Attacks! Venus and Mercury are too hot, Messi might have to go there naked, and who knows what people will say about his attire then. Many might get offended. Jupiter and Saturn are too gassy, not worth it, and we already know he won't visit Ur-anus, because obvious reasons. Pluto is not a planet so screw Pluto. Damn I forgot Neptune. Hmm, might be a secondary summer vacation visit after the Moon. Need to investigate further.

Nope, the Moon it is Messi, and only the light side. Get to it!!

Last edited:

Morten

Pshh. Norway terrorized the world with Viking raids of looting, pillaging and killings. Don't you watch Vikings? DonAK's hand are bloodied!

Even Switzerland is dirty. They have Sepp Blatter!

In fact, Messi should only travel to the Moon from now on. Only place neutral and clean. Except perhaps the Dark Side of the Moon, no one knows whats going on there. He should stay away from that side lest he gets accused of colluding with Dark and Sinester matters.

Mars attacked us already, I saw Mars Attacks! Venus and Mercury are too hot, Messi might have to go there naked, and who knows what people will say about his attire then. Many might get offended. Jupiter and Saturn are too gassy, not worth it, and we already know he won't visit Ur-anus, because obvious reasons. Pluto is not a planet so screw Pluto.

Nope, the Moon it is Messi, and only the light side. Get to it!!

Hey, what about mine?

Sterlingfan2000

Increase his fking release Clause. Im sure English club will pay his clause next year with their €€€€ TV Deal. That doesnt mean he will move, but just destroy this possibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans