10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

serghei

The person who takes penalties is usually associated with the best attacking player in the team, as well as the team's leader on the pitch. Taking Messi off penalties means a signal that he is not good at them, and that's not something you transmit to your best player.

Plus, a large part of missed penalties for Messi were not decisive in any way. Except the one vs Chelsea, which really hurt us, he almost always scores when the pressure is on, both with Argentina and in clasicos for example.

He obviously focuses more in tough games when he takes a penalty.

Horatio

You're welcome
He obviously focuses more in tough games when he takes a penalty.

The one against City was pretty important though. In hindsight maybe not as much since we beat them at home, but it could've still led to a more comfortable lead.

I am still inclined to believe Messi will not take all future penalties. I think it will depend on the situation and MSN will communicate with one another to decide who is in the best state to take the penalty.

In the end it is pretty much irrelevant to me. I think all three are qualified to take them.

Last edited:

serghei

I don't think the penalty with City was that important tbh, a 2-1 win away from home is a great result. If anything, that miss made him humiliate City in the return leg, with all those amazing nutmeggs.

Horatio

You're welcome
I don't think the penalty with City was that important tbh, a 2-1 win away from home is a great result. If anything, that miss made him humiliate City in the return leg.

That's looking after the fact. At that moment having an opportunity to increase the lead in a CL knockout stage game can definitely be considered important.
City wasn't the strongest, but it ain't Bate either.

raskolnikov

Messi missed 4 important penalties, city, atletico for the supercopa, sevilla in 2011/12 and of course chelsea 2012.
Bur he also scored in many important games and shootouts.
For some reason I would trust him more in a cl final than in the copa del rey vs levante.

Egert

Estonian Culé
Luis Enrique: "Messi? He has recovered, but we'll see how he feels. We still have a training now and we'll talk after that." #fcblive

Luis Enrique: "When decision about Messi starting or not? I'll talk today with him, tomorrow, and it'll be decided an hour before the game."

6 Ballons for Messi

but what if he wins 7??
Messi missed 4 important penalties, city, atletico for the supercopa, sevilla in 2011/12 and of course chelsea 2012.
Bur he also scored in many important games and shootouts.
For some reason I would trust him more in a cl final than in the copa del rey vs levante.

How are these 3 first penalties important?
The only important is the chelsea one.

El Flaco

ukm5Qh1.jpg

6LI9nNn.jpg

sJ0yEN0.jpg

HoAmgZb.jpg

iGyq3A8.jpg

Source

Jaguar

Flair Trait
I don't think the penalty with City was that important tbh, a 2-1 win away from home is a great result. If anything, that miss made him humiliate City in the return leg, with all those amazing nutmeggs.
Have to say I think he deliberately made a point of doing that to make up for it either way it was amazing :lol:

Kerrybai

I guess it depends how you define important. For me as well, the only penalty that cost us was the one vs. Chelsea.

I would count the Sevilla one as important as it cost us 2 points. I don't think we should try to define what we think is an important penalty, but instead define the penalties that put him under pressure. I reckon he felt the pressure quite a bit with the one against City.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans