10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jamie Cal

Collapse? Not sure there's been a collapse yet, but definitely a meltdown on fan forums. They've only really lost the CL so far, and getting back-to-back trebles was always a stretch goal anyway

Still favourites for the double (easiest run-in to league title), Madrid are not going to win CL - there's no reason to be worried about this season from a Barca fan perspective. Maybe Bayern getting a second treble takes the shine off last season's achievements.

Should be worried about next season though - oldest team in Europe probably, need major refreshments in very key positions, poor bench, coach who might not be up to par, major players have won everything a million times, Copa + Euro + Olympics in the pre-season.

It has undoubtedly been a collapse, man. This should never have come down to head-to-head, even if we do win it.

The results don't lie - any team of this callibre going through this bad run of form is really bad, let alone the one hyped with 39 games unbeaten. Real have changed manager. Atleti have lost a 40 million striker and replaced with no one (a great move, but still). And there's very little to suggest that Barca are gonna stop this rut too, the first team won't change much from today, and it badly needs to.

To say there's no reason to worry is utterly absurd. The Copa isn't the biggest deal, but Sevilla are very much a cup team. And to say Real won't win the CL is really absurd too, given their run and recent form. They should walk over City, and everyone is peaking at the right time.

We have the easiest run in, sure, but teams will sniff that we're all over the place at the moment. We'll be alright if we beat Depor (imo) and maybe the CL will make Real/Atleti drop points, but this has no doubt been a disaster. We badly need a handful of players come Summer.

Total-Football

i m not mad a messi anymore.. at this point i feel bad for the goat.. after minute 70 you can feel the guy doesnt want to receive the ball anymore.. the contrast between his first half and second half reflect that.. he jut pass it to the right back or a long diagonal to alba/neymar.. people wonder why lucho doesnt play him in the winger.. what the use of a winger who doesnt challenge the full back for the whole match and not for 45 minutes

bismp

The league is not lost yet, still leading and favorites for the title - so its not a collapse. You need to lose something for it to be a collapse

With this form,we will drop points at Deportivo.

The last 3 matches have been hyped up as the "match of the season","the match that the team will finally make a comeback",etc.I can't see how we are going to win the league

footyfan

Calma, calma
It has undoubtedly been a collapse, man. This should never have come down to head-to-head, even if we do win it.

The results don't lie - any team of this callibre going through this bad run of form is really bad, let alone the one hyped with 39 games unbeaten. Real have changed manager. Atleti have lost a 40 million striker and replaced with no one (a great move, but still). And there's very little to suggest that Barca are gonna stop this rut too, the first team won't change much from today, and it badly needs to.

To say there's no reason to worry is utterly absurd. The Copa isn't the biggest deal, but Sevilla are very much a cup team. And to say Real won't win the CL is really absurd too, given their run and recent form. They should walk over City, and everyone is peaking at the right time.

We have the easiest run in, sure, but teams will sniff that we're all over the place at the moment. We'll be alright if we beat Depor (imo) and maybe the CL will make Real/Atleti drop points, but this has no doubt been a disaster. We badly need a handful of players come Summer.

Well, clearly we have different definitions for collapse then. If I say Barca's La Liga fight has collapsed, its implied that they dont have a chance anymore. But they do, in fact they have the best chance of all teams. Did you see how many chances they created today?!

Madrid are not gonna win the CL, if they even make it to the final. While playing Casemiro (finally!!!) gives them more balance in midfield, he's still not that good of a player. Their defensive transitions also suck and Pepe+Ramos are always good for a mistake here and there. Navas has been playing extremely well, that's really keeping them in it. If Aguero, De Bruyne and Silva stay fit and Kompany + Sterling make their returns, City will give them an extremely good fight. It's very even in that tie (Bayern - Atleti is quite even too but I'm more comfortable backing a winner there, i.e Bayern)

We actually deserved to win this game. Wasn't the case last 3 times.

Frustrating but a good thing. All I ask from Messi is that he pins his ass on the RW where he belongs.

George_Costanza

tata_martino_2.jpg

Devils

I just don't get it with him.

He wasn't at his usual level but you could clearly see he had a high sense of urgency and was desperately trying to destabilize the Valencia defence with runs and passes.

Where was this the past 2 weeks??? If he showed this urgency the results wouldn't of have been so disastrous over in our recent run.

J

Jamie Cal

People should just stop using the "meltdown" and "fatique" hipster arguments

Biiiiiiiig agree on this one. Always saying it in chat.

Well, clearly we have different definitions for collapse then. If I say Barca's La Liga fight has collapsed, its implied that they dont have a chance anymore. But they do, in fact they have the best chance of all teams. Did you see how many chances they created today?!

Madrid are not gonna win the CL, if they even make it to the final. While playing Casemiro (finally!!!) gives them more balance in midfield, he's still not that good of a player. Their defensive transitions also suck and Pepe+Ramos are always good for a mistake here and there. Navas has been playing extremely well, that's really keeping them in it. If Aguero, De Bruyne and Silva stay fit and Kompany + Sterling make their returns, City will give them an extremely good fight. It's very even in that tie (Bayern - Atleti is quite even too but I'm more comfortable backing a winner there, i.e Bayern)

Created a bit in the first half, but the second half we were open as they come, Paco had the best chance of the match. And the usual problem rears it's head with no way of negating it; we run out of legs in the latter stages of the game. It's happened every single game and has happened back since February consistently (arguably even further back when you look at games like the Deportivo 2-2, and we have them next).

We're leading but Real and Atleti are in much much better shape, that cannot be debated. Even with an easier run in, La Liga is wicked-strong this season. In our last games, off the top of my head, we have:
Deportivo - beat Atletico
Sporting - beat Atleti and drew with Real
Betis - drew with Real
Espanyol - our fierce rivals that we already drew with this season and are on really bad terms with.
Granada - unlucky to be beaten by Real 2-1.

There's probably more too.

Again, man, I'm not saying Real are definitely gonna win, but to say they definitely won't is all kinds of wrong. You have the easiest draw ever and are peaking at the right time. City are ok at best, and guys like Kompany and especially Sterling are nothing special. And it's not as if Bayern haven't been stumbling a bit lately, they haven't covered themselves in glory against Juve or Benfica. Plus, once you're in a final, ANYTHING can happen. It might just be one good performance from Ronaldo to do it. But enough about this subject.

Maybe we do have different definitions of collapse, but there's no argument to say the last month has been any less than catastrophic for Barca with little signs it'll change.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Biiiiiiiig agree on this one. Always saying it in chat.

Created a bit in the first half, but the second half we were open as they come, Paco had the best chance of the match. And the usual problem rears it's head with no way of negating it; we run out of legs in the latter stages of the game. It's happened every single game and has happened back since February consistently (arguably even further back when you look at games like the Deportivo 2-2, and we have them next).

We're leading but Real and Atleti are in much much better shape, that cannot be debated. Even with an easier run in, La Liga is wicked-strong this season. In our last games, off the top of my head, we have:
Deportivo - beat Atletico
Sporting - beat Atleti and drew with Real
Betis - drew with Real
Espanyol - our fierce rivals that we already drew with this season and are on really bad terms with.
Granada - unlucky to be beaten by Real 2-1.

There's probably more too.

Again, man, I'm not saying Real are definitely gonna win, but to say they definitely won't is all kinds of wrong. You have the easiest draw ever and are peaking at the right time. City are ok at best, and guys like Kompany and especially Sterling are nothing special. And it's not as if Bayern haven't been stumbling a bit lately, they haven't covered themselves in glory against Juve or Benfica. Plus, once you're in a final, ANYTHING can happen. It might just be one good performance from Ronaldo to do it. But enough about this subject.

Maybe we do have different definitions of collapse, but there's no argument to say the last month has been any less than catastrophic for Barca with little signs it'll change.

Well, if they do end up losing the league, then it will have been the worst choke I've seen in a long time in football. So even the biggest mega-meltdown would be justified :lol:

Horatio

You're welcome
I just don't get it with him.

He wasn't at his usual level but you could clearly see he had a high sense of urgency and was desperately trying to destabilize the Valencia defence with runs and passes.

Where was this the past 2 weeks??? If he showed this urgency the results wouldn't of have been so disastrous over in our recent run.

I always notice this too. I think he doesn't like to be the main man within Barca. And I can understand it in a way, he's surrounded by world class players so why should should there be so much reliance on him. Having your team balanced with everybody feeling confident is better long-term. I think he wants to avoid the whole team searching and relying on him. You usually see him going more solo during the latter stages of the game when he realizes the team isn't doing well and he has to step up. If he would play that way all game every single match he would be fatigued.

J

Jamie Cal

Well, if they do end up losing the league, then it will have been the worst choke I've seen in a long time in football. So even the biggest mega-meltdown would be justified :lol:

I hate to agree but it's true, even if the signs were there from a lot earlier than people think. Losing to a team as good as Atleti is no shame, nor is not retaining the CL, I'd argue the standard is getting higher and higher, but given how good we'd been for so long, going out in the quarters is pretty bad.

Again, Deportivo is everything now. We owe them one for the last 2 draws against them, and we just need to stop the rut. We're fragile enough that anything could happen now.

BarneyR10

Even if he retires today he is the best player that ever played the game, there can be no real doubt about that.

i don't agree with that
Messi benefited immensely being apart of the greatest team the game has ever seen. But him alone isn't the best ever. Not saying he's garbage, far from it. But not the best ever. A great amazing player without a doubt. He's Jesus, but not GOD
that's the best way i can put it.

BarneyR10

I always notice this too. I think he doesn't like to be the main man within Barca. And I can understand it in a way, he's surrounded by world class players so why should should there be so much reliance on him. Having your team balanced with everybody feeling confident is better long-term. I think he wants to avoid the whole team searching and relying on him. You usually see him going more solo during the latter stages of the game when he realizes the team isn't doing well and he has to step up. If he would play that way all game every single match he would be fatigued.

at the end of the day, he's suppose to be the best player in the world. He's suppose to always go the extra mile for the team. Many consider him the best player of all time so with that comes responsibility .... no matter how many superstars barcelona has, he's still the main man and needs to show up and be at the front lines..

But messi has proven that he isn't capable of doing so.. not the GOAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans