10 - Lionel Messi - v5

blaugrana1987

I didnt say he wasnt good in brasil, but he underperformed in most important match in his career, WC final
You do know Maradona was marked out of the game in 1986? He gave good ball to Buruchaga who scored great goal but he had to run for entire German half with defenders at his back to score it for 3-2. What if Higuain scored his 2 chances and Germany opened up? Who knows what would have happen, but that is how it happened in 86.

JamDav1982

You do know Maradona was marked out of the game in 1986? He gave good ball to Buruchaga who scored great goal but he had to run for entire German half with defenders at his back to score it for 3-2. What if Higuain scored his 2 chances and Germany opened up? Who knows what would have happen, but that is how it happened in 86.

Maradona was man marked by an all time great in Mattheus and was quiet but it was a good pass to set Buruchaga away for the winner and still had influence on the game.

Higuain missed one great chance in final. Messi also missed a decent one he has scored from similar position plenty times before.

jamrock

He didn't have his best game in that final to be honest, but he was the primary reason why they got there

I get the feeling if di Maria was fit for that final the result would have been different.

eaman

Everyone has bad moments. The thing that gets me upset with Messi is that he wasn't up for it against Germany in the 2014 final.

He just didn't look like the way he was feeling against Nigeria in the 1st half. That crazy running, erratic up for it type of thing. Seizing the moment type of thing.

It was one of those subdued type moods. Okay his team mates missed chances but I am talking about the mood of the player. You can kinda sense when Messi is up for it.

On occasions the first 5 -10 minutes show it, He's running around crazy.

Anyway how, he had like 120 minutes to show his class against Germany in 2014 like the Brazlian Ronaldo used to show in every single final he played in bar one.

Messi failed in my opinion in that moment. Brazils Ronaldo seem to relish finals.

Thats the only major blip I would say he will have on his career as stated before everyone screws up.

Still will go down as the best ever or top 2 or 3. No way could you ever put him out of a top three. Just to good for that.

I remember looking at the 2014 final and thinking Messi looks up for this. He actually played well. Look at the highlights. He was beating men making good passes and had that inches wide chance. He was not great in the 2015 copa America final and was good especially in the first half in the 2016 final.

mark1nhu

They were even with germany, they played like a team, in the final they needed that extra effort to take WC trophy home, everyone was looking at messi and he didnt delivered, simple as that. On that WC, messi didnt take them to final alone, mascherano was on beast mode whole tournament, other players also performed well

Messi alone set Higuain and Palacio to miss sitters that match. I have no idea what kind of nonsense you’re talking about.

Last edited:

henias

Vlad you are fucking idiot. Messi got them out of group stages and literally sent them to easier side of bracket.

He played very good match against Swiss and made fantastic assist in dying minutes of ET. He played very good and active game against Belgium too, only against Netherlands he didnt look good IMO.

As usual from Vlad. No need to argue with this level of retardation.

I remember looking at the 2014 final and thinking Messi looks up for this. He actually played well. Look at the highlights. He was beating men making good passes and had that inches wide chance. He was not great in the 2015 copa America final and was good especially in the first half in the 2016 final.

Messi was able to create magic anytime in 2014. His Goals were all his achievment and also the run against swizz. In 2018 i had the Feeling he needed more help from his Team mates to do something. in 2016 Copa America he was outstanding the best Messi i have ever seen in Argentina.

blaugrana1987

People say Messi's best chance was 2014, and from result and draw perspective, that is true. But I think 2010 and especially 2006 where much better chances to win. Its unfortunate turn of events, from lady luck, to AFA and Maradona in 2010. Its unfortunate, but its over. He missed by final ,but it is what it is. Argentina in 86' and 2014 didn't have best squad in the world, they where top 5, but not number 1. They where stronger in early 2000s and 2006 tbh...

Just open best of Messi, late 2000s and early this decade...Man, what a fucking machine that guy was. At his peak, nobody compared to him.

Home of Barca Fans