10 - Lionel Messi - v5

Felipetonelo

Messi was better last season.

He has noticeably declined from his 16/17 form from what I've seen from him so far this season. He shit the bed in the CL last year as well, but he was still better overall.

This is to be expected though. He's at the point where's he going to get worse every year.

14/15 was the last time he looked like he was on another planet from every other footballer alive. I'd still say he's the best now, but his gap at the top isn't as big anymore.

[youtube]Bw5SuPPtcQg[/youtube]

He has peak Neymar and prime Suarez that season, but even with that considered he was still much more of a dynamic player back then than he is now. The thing is that wasn't that long ago and I'd like to see how he would do at RW again.

God. He was just unstoppable. Dribbling, movement, quick turns, assists, finishing, passes, defending, everything was so perfect.

We need that Messi back and he needs better teammates.

RMU ReBorn

Messi has been the same all these years . Players and system around him has changed . He has done everything possible that he can . No player has influenced as much as Messi in a league win in recent times . Winning a league over 38 rounds is no cake walk . Most goals, assists ,chances created you name it . His attacking contribution is second to none . Even in Cl only attacking threat was Messi and he destroyed chelsea . You can't ask a player to do that in every match . sometimes you need that littl bit of assistance from your mates , which he didn't had in terms of attacking contribution . Trolls are back to this forum to shit on Messi , with their Neutral mask

Givenchy

Messi has been the same all these years . Players and system around him has changed . He has done everything possible that he can . No player has influenced as much as Messi in a league win in recent times . Winning a league over 38 rounds is no cake walk . Most goals, assists ,chances created you name it . His attacking contribution is second to none . Even in Cl only attacking threat was Messi and he destroyed chelsea . You can't ask a player to do that in every match . sometimes you need that littl bit of assistance from your mates , which he didn't had in terms of attacking contribution . Trolls are back to this forum to shit on Messi , with their Neutral mask

opinions will change drastically if we go unbeaten and Madrid go out vs Bayern. football is very fickle these days but some of the criticisms against Messi are valid

BarcaOG

Banned

this is nonsense. you're basically saying that messi is faultless, that he has had absolutely nothing to do with our CL exits. he's our main man for a reason--when others fail (as they have) he should demonstrate why he deserves to be considered the best. he was great against chelsea but what did he do against roma over two legs? the point is not that the team is good and messi underperforming; both need to do their part and messi simply has not. other than the chelsea game at home there is literally no evidence that he has shown he's the best.

earlier this season all of us were making fun of ronaldo for having less goals than paulinho--but now, when the evidence shows that freaking CB ramos has as many goals as messi in the CL knowckouts in the last few years the comparison is unfair? get a grip. messi isnt entitled to anything, and until he demonstrates he's the best he doesnt deserve it. look beyond your barca goggles--the neutral football world has long noticed this, especially this season.

booge

this is nonsense. you're basically saying that messi is faultless, that he has had absolutely nothing to do with our CL exits. he's our main man for a reason--when others fail (as they have) he should demonstrate why he deserves to be considered the best. he was great against chelsea but what did he do against roma over two legs? the point is not that the team is good and messi underperforming; both need to do their part and messi simply has not. other than the chelsea game at home there is literally no evidence that he has shown he's the best.

earlier this season all of us were making fun of ronaldo for having less goals than paulinho--but now, when the evidence shows that freaking CB ramos has as many goals as messi in the CL knowckouts in the last few years the comparison is unfair? get a grip. messi isnt entitled to anything, and until he demonstrates he's the best he doesnt deserve it. look beyond your barca goggles--the neutral football world has long noticed this, especially this season.

Truth is in knock out competition seems to Fcuk up alot these days. The first round he does well but god know swhat happens in the quarter finals onwards.

Not as if the teams get tougher because messi scores against anyone in the group stages and does well in the leagues all the time against the likes of atletico , valencia, madrid etc

So wtf happens in the quarters onwards. Definatly seems to like shit his kegs and walks around looking wierd.

clemente

Ramos gets more delivery than Messi, how do you expect Messi to score against Juve or Roma when he is surrounded by deadweights, every time he gets the ball something starts happening so don't tell me that he doesn't deliver, this "doesn't score goals" saying is so stupid, its not even expected for him to score goals, he is the one creating them and Suarez is the one supposed to finish them, but because this team is so shit he has to finish everything he creates, this season Alba has been helping him with that.

BarcaOG

Banned
Ramos gets more delivery than Messi, how do you expect Messi to score against Juve or Roma when he is surrounded by deadweights, every time he gets the ball something starts happening so don't tell me that he doesn't deliver, this "doesn't score goals" saying is so stupid, its not even expected for him to score goals, he is the one creating them and Suarez is the one supposed to finish them, but because this team is so shit he has to finish everything he creates, this season Alba has been helping him with that.

i'll just highlight the stupidest parts of your post and let the idiocy speak for itself.

Pepe Silvia

I still think Messi will win balon d' or with la liga, copa w/ good performance, and take that bunch of sad orphans they call AFA to the quarters or semis w/ crucial performances. If CR wins WC, obv it's a wrap, even if he is hobbling on crutches on the sideline. He could turn in a bad performance from here on out in CL even.

cridra

I'm so sad for all the people who start to criticize Messi! Really miss the good old days where football fans relied their statements only on what they saw on the pitch, not on what YouTube highlights or the stats shows. For all what is happening, I personally blame the board for such pathetic choices of coaches, transfers etc. I was a big Barca fan since the Rivaldo & Figo days, but went to totally obsession mode with the Messi era.

The simple fact that Messi is almost same level as Ronaldo in the goalscoring department is insane, when you think that they play totally different roles and position. Since when did it became a huge disappointment that an AM/Winger doesn't score as much as a CF/ST? (I'm Messi case he actually does) did I really become so conservative with the rules of this game?

Yes, CR7 is one of the best strikers ever but IMO (and it's just my personal opinion) Lewandoski, Jardel, Shearer, Batistuta, Van Nistelrooy etc or even Suárez would have same number of goals with such a high quality midfield as Real has atm. People talk only about Reals midfield and forget 2 very important and awesome passers as Marcelo or Carvajal. I'm sad that people put the domestic title so low. For that, I really respect the Premiership because they still are proud if they win it.

But I can't blame most of you guys because when you see a football genius like Messi in your team, you start to think you are invincible and get blinded of the lack of quality this guy has around him.

As for the discussion about the Ballon d'Or, I still think that Ronaldo has won atleast 2 of them without even deserving them (2013 when Ribery should have cleary won it and the one from last year). Even Real Madrid fans voted Isco as their best player last year.

Even the Euro 2016. If you have even watched Portugals games ( I did mostly for betting reasons :) ) you would have noticed that Ronaldo was one of the worst players on the pitch in most of the matches. Every Portugal fan will confirm it. Heck, he dident even play the final but after the tournament, all people said "OMG, Ronaldo won the Euro for Portugal". Which was one the most fake statments I ever heard.

IMO, the Ballon d'Or was set up to make things more interesting because the 4-1 at the time in favor of Messi was to boring for marketing reasons.

As for the statement that Messi disappears in the important matches, that is one of the most bullshit statment ever. Since 2007 in 90% of the big matches, Messi was the key figure.

Ronaldo was known for missing all the big matches. How people can forget is a mistary.... And why people start to compare only the last 5 years? Why not all the years?

As for the 4 CL that Ronaldo won: In 3/4 finals, he wasn't even the best. 2 of them, Ramos saved them by scoring the goals. I love how people say that Ronaldo is more dominant in CL then Messi, but people wake up: they have same amount of CL titles FFS (4). It's not like Messi has none. They just had different periods.

IMO, Messi has yet alot to offer but clearly needs some support aswell. With the right signings Veratti/Thiago and Griezmann, I believe Messi, the masterpiece, isn't finished yet.

IMO, Barca fans should feel totally lucky to have such a unique player and enjoy (sadly to say) his last years in football.

eaman

Truth is in knock out competition seems to Fcuk up alot these days. The first round he does well but god know swhat happens in the quarter finals onwards.

Not as if the teams get tougher because messi scores against anyone in the group stages and does well in the leagues all the time against the likes of atletico , valencia, madrid etc

So wtf happens in the quarters onwards. Definatly seems to like shit his kegs and walks around looking wierd.

I think the reason it happened a couple of years was that the conmebol world cup qualifiers were right before the quarters and the whole frontline were south American so you know. And this year I don't think Messi was fully fit. It's just unlucky timing coz he has scored in plenty of quarters and semis and finals in years past

1. No he hasn't.

2. No he hasn't.

3. Nobody is.

4. To you everyone who criticizes Messi is a troll.

Fact is you're deluded and can't think straight.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
How would you all rank Messi's seasons since 2008? I would say

11/12
10/11
12/13
14/15
09/10
16/17
17/18
15/16
08/09
13/14

He missed a crucial penalty and was also the main reason the opponents scored at their home in 11/12 for that season to be considered any better than 10/11

Richard.H

I still think Messi will win balon d' or with la liga, copa w/ good performance, and take that bunch of sad orphans they call AFA to the quarters or semis w/ crucial performances. If CR wins WC, obv it's a wrap, even if he is hobbling on crutches on the sideline. He could turn in a bad performance from here on out in CL even.

CR will win balon d'or if RM wins CL and Messi fails to win the WC. It doesn't matter if Messi carries that sorry shit squad to the final, FIFA will still give it to CR

Home of Barca Fans