10 - Lionel Messi - v5

TitoTata

Banned
Its a disgrace to football how much ronaldo dives and gets away with it..then takes the glory and headlines. I would actually have respect for this dude if it wasnt for this.

The 3rd goal for portugal should never had been as it was never a foul by pique..just blatent diving by ronaldo :/

Although for argentinas chances it probably worked out for the best.

He certainly dived / played for that first goal , Gary Lineker said as much last night and he knew how to win a free kick as well . Sad thing is he conned his team mate Nacho just as he did Rooney all those years ago ...he's no conscience pure ego driven .

ronniecro

simply needs to score today. even though i doubt,it will be the same as in barca,he'll need to create attacks and finish the chances by himself,only difference is in argentina he's surrounded by worse players than in barca

serghei

y'know its baffling how Messi reaching Copa finals and a World cup final gets overlooked. sure nobody remembers the losers but that is one hell of an achievement looking at how disorganized the players around him are, not bad for a player who can allegedly only play in his 'comfort zone'.

It was the defense and Sabella's tactics that got them there mostly. Messi didn't have insane performances in the last games. It's hard for Messi to be remembered that much after you beat your rivals 1-0 at most, or qualify after a boring 0-0 on pens in the semis.

Messi played great in the groups and very well vs Switzerland but that's about it. Good World Cup, not amazing though.

raskolnikov

Ronaldo is a very clutch player (something he wasnt in the past). We can talk about him diving or being lucky but in the end he delivers. People only care about results.
Messi isnt competing with him h2h though. He just needs to do well and help Argentina win today.

serghei

Ronaldo is a very clutch player (something he wasnt in the past). We can talk about him diving or being lucky but in the end he delivers. People only care about results.
Messi isnt competing with him h2h though. He just needs to do well and help Argentina win today.

He is clutch, but not all the time. He doesn't show up in every big game. He has off games and Portugal will go out when that happens against any serious team.

GOAT_SUAREZ

simply needs to score today. even though i doubt,it will be the same as in barca,he'll need to create attacks and finish the chances by himself,only difference is in argentina he's surrounded by worse players than in barca

He is has much better players than Ronaldo at Portugal who banged a hat trick against a top 5 team. Can't be an excuse.

Mitchell1978

watching the Uruguay game here really showed me how ignorant the football media/social media/pundits are these days. they were suprised at how shit Suarez played and that it was one of his worst games ever and were passing it as an 'off-day'. they don't bother to follow Barca or even look at Suarez' past season and the 1 goal he scored in the CL. this ignorant view is why Messi gets so much shit not only for Argentina but also Barca. they won't bother watching how much Argentina struggled in the qualifiers and how Messi basically dragged them to this world cup, they see a sheet of paper consisting of Dybala, Di Maria, Aguero and expect greatness.

fans on other forums who don't follow us still think Messi is propped up by a dominant midfield, Rakitic is still one of the best midfielders etc. it blows my mind how ignorant people are.

exactly, something i've noticed too, a lot of people still think Suarez is a top 3 center-forward in the world

M

MessiCam

He is has much better players than Ronaldo at Portugal who banged a hat trick against a top 5 team. Can't be an excuse.
Why does he need to score? He can have an excellent game without scoring... Messi’s scores his fair share of hatricks against top opposition too. Acting like Ronaldo did something extraordinary... He had a wonderful game. So what? What does that have to do with Messi?

I don’t care much for this stupid debate but the standards Messi is being held to are crazy. I keep hearing about him not performing in the Champions League since the last win... But who was better than him in those games against Atleti, Juventus and Roma?

El Flaco

exactly, something i've noticed too, a lot of people still think Suarez is a top 3 center-forward in the world

Suárez has scored 31 goals in 51 games for Barcelona this season so it's a bit understandable from their side.

They mostly follow Barcelona on YT-highlights unless if it's El Claisco or any high-profile game.

Strikers will be judged on goals and Suárez will be seen for having a great season, despite his overall play declinced in recent years.

vlad

Why does he need to score? He can have an excellent game without scoring... Messi’s scores his fair share of hatricks against top opposition too. Acting like Ronaldo did something extraordinary... He had a wonderful game. So what? What does that have to do with Messi?

I don’t care much for this stupid debate but the standards Messi is being held to are crazy. I keep hearing about him not performing in the Champions League since the last win... But who was better than him in those games against Atleti, Juventus and Roma?

Nobody was better then him, but he is best player ever and obviously there will be high standards for him, he also is paid for that, yes, he was underperforming in CL, he dorsnt run enough, opposition doesnt have much problem to cover him because of his lack of movement, its absurd considering what is he capable of when he is motivated, he is mentally weak and that is his main problem, thats why we are still having debate cr7 vs messi, it shouldnt be like that, but its mostly messi's fault, football is team sport i know, but messi is gifted with something special and he cant let to be depended on higuain will he score or not, he has to do it himself, 2 finals vs chile and 1 wc final vs germany, and we can read comments like "if higuain scored, or palacio" thats just poor excuse for messi and his problem with lack of trophy with national team

Edit: that argentina under sabella was doing great, they didnt play beautiful but they were strong at the back and had great counters, in final they were even with germany, they needed that extra effort to take trophy, and all eyes were on messi, and that was normal, that was his most important match in career, but he didnt delivered, he wasnt even trying enough, so we cant put all the blame on higuain and because of that missed chance, higuain is not WC player, good, but he is hot and cold, messi needed to try harder to take that long waited trophy home, but he didnt, because he wasnt trying enough

Last edited:
M

MessiCam

Nobody was better then him, but he is best player ever and obviously there will be high standards for him, he also is paid for that, yes, he was underperforming in CL, he dorsnt run enough, opposition doesnt have much problem to cover him because of his lack of movement, its absurd considering what is he capable of when he is motivated, he is mentally weak and that is his main problem, thats way we are still having debate cr7 vs messi, it shouldnt be like that, but its mostly messi fault, football is team sport i know, but messi is gifted with something special
Messi has never ran. Even in his best Champions League performance which was the 2011 final. Go and watch it again and come and make that boring comment again...

Weak mentality, not motivated... Same old stuff over and over.

Ronaldo, once, was an exceptional footballer, his Man Utd days and under Mourinho, until he gave up his football for numbers (in order to win Ballon D’Ors as a matter of fact) and the football world gobbled it up. You people have been served piss and vinegar and been convinced that it’s champagne. To put this into perspective... Zola last night compared Ronaldo’s performance to Maradona vs England in 1986 World Cup... What the actual fuck?

That this debate is still ongoing after all that shows that the games nuances have been forgone for numbers and running 10 km per game.

I can’t deal with that sort of stupidity and it’s why I tend to stay clear of these sorts of debates.

Last edited:

vlad

Sorry but messi in 2011 was from another world, he had great support, but he was trying harder and was fighting for every ball near him, he didnt just looked at opposition players with the ball like now, remember 2015? He was running like hell, and end result was triplete, im not saying barca would won triplete every season with such messi, but surely barca would have more CL success, im not puting all the blame on him, dont get me wrong, but i have also feeling his teammates would try harder if they see messi doing the same

M

MessiCam

Sorry but messi in 2011 was from another world, he had great support, but he was trying harder and was fighting for every ball near him, he didnt just looked at opposition players with the ball like now, remember 2015? He was running like hell, and end result was triplete, im not saying barca would won triplete every season with such messi, but surely barca would have more CL success, im not puting all the blame on him, dont get me wrong, but i have also feeling his teammates would try harder if they see messi doing the same
Horse shit. Don’t change the goal posts. You said Messi doesn’t run and I’ve said he never has. That Messi once ran is the biggest myth of all time.

Even Pep said that Messi runs the least because there are facets to his game.

ebc_99

How can anyone say Messi is mentally weak, you don't stay at the top of the worlds most competitive sport for over a decade by being mentally weak. He has carried Barca for years and even some Barca fans don't give him the credit he deserves. He has nothing to prove, has had an unparalleled career and time will be very kind to him.

Andresito

Staff member
Messi is defining an era. His teammates come and go but the team is still competitive thanks to him.
Like Pep said, it wasn't the Pep era, it was and is the Messi era.

You can't really say "The Ronaldo era" at Real Madrid. These last years would rather be defined as the voodoo Zidane era.

Home of Barca Fans