10 - Lionel Messi - v5

henias

It's just coaches and teams find it harder to complement Messi's qualities than it is for Ronaldo's. Ronaldo's strengths are pretty much aerial abilities and channeling through counter attacks while for Messi you need to know how to link up well and create a multitude of spaces for him to be extremely lethal (Pep figured it out). Obviously both styles have their various disadvantages and advantages. It doesnt necessarily mean Messi isnt as effective as Ronaldo, surely there's some off forms now and then, probably due to fatigue or motivation like Ronaldo has at the start of the season as compared to Messi's end of the season.

One thing for sure at this age, Messi needs to be well rested and preserved if you want him to perform till the end of the campaign because he usually fizzles out.

They're both Ronaldo and Messi for a reason, and far too many factors to simply conclude one is a bigger player than the other. For all you know, Ronaldo could simply go missing again the next match like he did in the CL final except his teammates did step up. I still believe both are very great players and in tournaments like that the team still has to contribute to attain the ultimate trophy. They both cannot do it alone all the time.

Givenchy

watching the Uruguay game here really showed me how ignorant the football media/social media/pundits are these days. they were suprised at how shit Suarez played and that it was one of his worst games ever and were passing it as an 'off-day'. they don't bother to follow Barca or even look at Suarez' past season and the 1 goal he scored in the CL. this ignorant view is why Messi gets so much shit not only for Argentina but also Barca. they won't bother watching how much Argentina struggled in the qualifiers and how Messi basically dragged them to this world cup, they see a sheet of paper consisting of Dybala, Di Maria, Aguero and expect greatness.

fans on other forums who don't follow us still think Messi is propped up by a dominant midfield, Rakitic is still one of the best midfielders etc. it blows my mind how ignorant people are.

Question17

watching the Uruguay game here really showed me how ignorant the football media/social media/pundits are these days. they were suprised at how shit Suarez played and that it was one of his worst games ever and were passing it as an 'off-day'. they don't bother to follow Barca or even look at Suarez' past season .

There is this belief among pundits (in my country) that only international football matters. That this is the real thing while the club game is just an insignificant sideshow that can be belittled. The commentators and half time/post pre game pundits who apparently know the game the most have been the ones enforcing and pushing this belief in every world cup that I've watched. They even do it when they shouldn't business wise. Its funny but as I was watching the Real Liverpool final, when Mo salah got injured the commentators were most irked by how awful it was that he could miss the world cup. As real was winning they were dropping lines like "now they have to turn their focus on the big event (wc)" as if winning the CL was just some warm up. As a non fan it really makes you want to keep watching something when the commentators don't even care about the game and would rather talk about some event that isn't going on right now.

Much2soon

Messi does it tmrw: "it was only Iceland"
If Messi doesn't do it tmrw: "Can't even do it against Iceland"

Although unfair, there’s really no lie to that.

Iceland is a team they must beat convincingly. Nigeria and Croatia won’t be pushovers neither.

Barca83

Banned
As tough as it is to watch CR bag a hattrick, anything that stops Spain winning the group is probably best for Argentina's chances. If that happens, Germany would be the only top team between them and the finals and there's no guarantee that they win their group and make it to the semis.

Horatio

You're welcome
i mean, why wouldnt we? as much as we are all messi's fans etc etc, but CR continues to deliver, to look away would be hypocritical/delusional

Messi also delivers. It's just that on occasions when he doesn't Barca barely has a team to fall back onto. So if Messi doesn't deliver and it leads to Barca losing people will blame Messi.
If CR delivers in CL games and then doesn't Madrid can still carry through and ultimately with success Ronaldo's contribution will be recognized and deemed crucial.

Both phenomenal players but Messi still edges it for me.

Givenchy

Messi also delivers. It's just that on occasions when he doesn't Barca barely has a team to fall back onto. So if Messi doesn't deliver and it leads to Barca losing people will blame Messi.
If CR delivers in CL games and then doesn't Madrid can still carry through and ultimately with success Ronaldo's contribution will be recognized and deemed crucial.

Both phenomenal players but Messi still edges it for me.

y'know its baffling how Messi reaching Copa finals and a World cup final gets overlooked. sure nobody remembers the losers but that is one hell of an achievement looking at how disorganized the players around him are, not bad for a player who can allegedly only play in his 'comfort zone'.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
i mean, why wouldnt we? as much as we are all messi's fans etc etc, but CR continues to deliver, to look away would be hypocritical/delusional

No, no, no, you misunderstood me. It is fine and absolutely natural to discuss his performance after a good showing and give him the credit he is due, I was referring to some folks getting a little insecure and some of them dismiss Ronaldo’s performance or bring up Messi to argue that Messi is better etc. I meant the comparison never stops.

SG-7

Its a disgrace to football how much ronaldo dives and gets away with it..then takes the glory and headlines. I would actually have respect for this dude if it wasnt for this.

The 3rd goal for portugal should never had been as it was never a foul by pique..just blatent diving by ronaldo :/

Although for argentinas chances it probably worked out for the best.

Horatio

You're welcome
y'know its baffling how Messi reaching Copa finals and a World cup final gets overlooked. sure nobody remembers the losers but that is one hell of an achievement looking at how disorganized the players around him are, not bad for a player who can allegedly only play in his 'comfort zone'.

It is an achievement. But it will never be recognized since the finals were lost.

Raketa10

The thing is Ronaldo can win whatever there is but Messi will always be a better player overall. Messi at his best is just a better player than Ronaldo at his best and any football expert will tell you the same. So yo can go on posting gazillion stupid comparisons but in fact for any footbal fan who is not a Madridista there trully isn't any doubt who is a better player overall.

It’s like saying that Curry is a better player than LeBron because GSW won NBA finals. It’s just that his team is stronger while he is an inferior player, just like in this comparison above in reality there is no comparison at all. Some of football fans here should realize that this is team sport and if you have Higuain or Gomes for your teammates you just can’t win some games.

Also do realize that this Argentina team is one of the worst Argentina teams I can remember, for me they even aren’t favorites in their own group so there is no chance in hell they will win WC. I would say that if they reach quarter finals it will be a succes. Tak a look at their goalkeeper, their midfield and their defense. They only have an attack and nothing else. When someone says Messi should win a WC with this Argentina team it just shows a lack of football knowledge that person has.

Last edited:

Neymessi

We can all blame a shit argentina team and higuain for everything and it won't be wrong but messi has played crap in most big games for argentina recently.

Bad for semis and finals of the WC, all the finals of copa he lost too IIRC. Really needs to start performing on the big stage.

Home of Barca Fans