10 - Lionel Messi - v5

JamDav1982

Exactly. Of course he has space when he is just waiting for counters vs Spain.. Argentina is trying to create something and dominate the possession

That is Portugal playing to their best players strength and Argentina doing same.

Ronaldo wont suit patient build up play and Messi wont run in behind on counter.

BBZ8800

Messi only gets the ball surrounded by 2 or 3. It's probably his fault because he doesn't move, but at least his teammates should be exploring the free space that Messi gives to them.

Because he plays through the middle all the time where is crowded with 5-10 opponents.

Cr7 can play both through the middle, on the wing and as a Cf after crosses.
Messi is picking the hardest way all the time: dropping deep to get the ball and his only option is to drible past 5 players and score.

Cr7 can play more positions.
He moves more off the ball.
And his goalchances are easier, because he doesn't try to dribble past 5 through the middle every fckng time.

Not to mention that Messi is dead tired after 30 minutes.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Other than that interception, Messi was poor in the first half. Again he relies too much on playing one-twos to penetrate defense and when that does not work, he is out of ideas. His passes and judgement were pretty off too. Why passing the ball to someone who is being sandwiched by two Icelandic players, only to lose the ball as a result?

JamDav1982

A penalty, a shit shot ending in a horrible mistake from a goalkeeper and a good free kick with De Gea being lazy and not moving..... and De Gea is supposed to be the best goalkeeper in the world. Ronaldo's free kick conversion rate is like 2%.

A penalty he won and scored, a fuck up by deGea, freekick he won and scored and outwith that created the best chances for Portugal.

His FK conversion rate is irrelevant to that game.

If Messi scores from 30 yds with his right leg are folk going to praise it or point out how it never happens.

Raketa10

Argentina players are yust bad I wouldn't be surprised if they end up third in this group. Croatian midfield is out of this world in comparison with Argentina.

RevoTeller

Nobody asks Messi to run like Ronaldo, but clearly you have all forgot how he used to do in 2011-2012 or even in 2015.
Now he is not even close to that intensity and overall level, NOT EVEN CLOSE.

That Messi was better than any version of Ronaldo, but sadly that Messi doesn't exist anymore.

Felipetonelo

He is moving all of the time today! What game are you watching?

If you think about "moving" by walking 2 or 3 steps, then yes. I want Messi to move properly, make a run without the ball, running to get away from the defender. These days his little steps to move are not enough to leave your defender.

Let's hope for the best in second half.

Raketa10

Because he plays through the middle all the time where is crowded with 5-10 opponents.

Cr7 can play both through the middle, on the wing and as a Cf after crosses.
Messi is picking the hardest way all the time: dropping deep to get the ball and his only option is to drible past 5 players and score.

Cr7 can play more positions.
He moves more off the ball.
And his goalchances are easier, because he doesn't try to dribble past 5 through the middle every fckng time.

Not to mention that Messi is dead tired after 30 minutes.

Dude Messi can play more different positions than Ronaldo.

M

MessiCam

Iceland should get pumped they are not a great side.

Portugal were shit last night and a one man team. Still think Argies have better players and team overall but Ronaldo could tip it in their favour.
Who has pumped Iceland? France is the only 1 I can think of.

Further than that what I’m seeing of Argentina is that they’re not a team at all, Messi or not. Portugal has outlets like Guedes, Silva and Ronaldo while Argentina have fuckall other than Messi collecting from deep.

This deep block was always going to happen and it’s showing what many of us knew long ago.

Raketa10

If you think about "moving" by walking 2 or 3 steps, then yes. I want Messi to move properly, make a run without the ball, running to get away from the defender. These days his little steps to move are not enough to leave your defender.

Let's hope for the best in second half.

Where would you run without the ball when the opposition has parked the bus?

MessiTBE

Banned
Ronaldo and Portugal played Iceland two year ago in euros, score? 0-0. Ronaldo did nothing. But no doubt Ronaldo fans will be saying "it's only Iceland he should be Doing it"

Lomar1o

Wish Messi had the same luck as Ronaldo, Ronaldo shoots on goal De Gea channels his inner Karius, Messi shoots on goal GK saves. Ronaldo inside the box, dives, Messi inside the box does anything but diving. That's the difference between Messi's first half and Ronaldo's first half.

RevoTeller

I mean, this is his last WC chance, he will never win it with this shit team of course, but at least he can make a statement and go down in history.
Given these conditions, I would expect a 2015 Messi tearing apart the competition on his own as far as he could, instead he is so passive.

Why? Why is he like this? Fuck me I don't understand.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans