10 - Lionel Messi - v5

Stoichkov1

Aguero did make himself available in that way many times, they couldn't do it and he got 7 touches. Messi was open in those zones a number of times, they couldn't circumvent the pressure of the man on them to make the pass forward.

Messi wasn't open at all, there was always a Croatia player between him and the Argentine player with the ball and Messi was barely moving to try to receive a pass.

ronniecro

flop of the tournament confirmed,not being jerk,just stating the fact
also i think this will destroy him,his name has just been shred to pieces,i see such an insulting and mocking comments already,this damage will never be repaired,no one will ever say that this argentina team is utter horse shit,instead it will always be remembered how messi failed to carry them through the group. i could even go that far to say that he will be mostly remembered for this and falling behind his greatest rival in terms of personal success than everything positive he's done....

weloveyuner

Messi shouldn't be dropping back so deep. He's a forward, not a midfielder. And why the hell can't Dybala play along side Messi? Dybala is arguably Juve's best player. You put the best talent on the field, no matter what position they play. Sampaoli is a moron, no doubt about it. But you can't keep using that as an excuse for Messi's poor performance with the AFA.

Stoichkov1

Read the posts, banned two people for going overboard. Overall people have took it better than I thought. This is basically Messi's exit from international stage :(

My 2 cents: Argentina is in chaos and Messi had a bad match. But you have to give credit to Croatia here too. They showed up motivated and played smart and they always had quality.

Lastly, don't think Nigeria can beat Iceland.

Who did you ban if I can ask?

FinBarcelonafan

Read the posts, banned two people for going overboard. Overall people have took it better than I thought. This is basically Messi's exit from international stage :(

My 2 cents: Argentina is in chaos and Messi had a bad match. But you have to give credit to Croatia here too. They showed up motivated and played smart and they always had quality.

Lastly, don't think Nigeria can beat Iceland.

We all knew Croatia was going to be tough to beat because their midfield. It's just World Class. They are going to tough team to beat. Who knows how far they go.

M

MessiCam

He can move more where he was and make it easier for those players who are struggling to link play up. By his lack of movement it makes the situation worse and he is part of it.

Drop deep and help those struggling to build up ball is another option but completely useless if just drops deep to do what others are already doing.

Messi received the ball in terrible positions tonight.
You keep spouting this but where and how should he move? Offer your pearls of wisdom instead of making blanket statements.

Joan

flop of the tournament confirmed,not being jerk,just stating the fact
also i think this will destroy him,his name has just been shred to pieces,i see such an insulting and mocking comments already,this damage will never be repaired,no one will ever say that this argentina team is utter horse shit,instead it will always be remembered how messi failed to carry them through the group. i could even go that far to say that he will be mostly remembered for this and falling behind his greatest rival in terms of personal success than everything positive he's done....

May I be honest?

No offense, I'm tired of your recent posts.

Not a criticism or something, just a remark.

messid10s

Messi does deserve criticism for this game he did not going looking for the ball enough and was far too static when he should have been constantly moving looking for pockets of space.

BUT

When you go into a world cup where the manager does not know his best first 11 and even what formation the team is going to play it's going to be hard for any player no matter how good to shine.

When your team mates can't even make simple 5 yard passes without losing the ball how good can any player look. When you have a midfield with zero creativity how good can any attacking player look if they have zero service.

Ultimately the team that wins competitions most of the time has the best midfield its the most important part of the team as Guardiola says if he could play with 11 midfielders he would. Having the best midfield is why we were so dominant with Busi-Xavi-Iniesta and why Madrid have been so dominant with Casemiro-Kroos-Modric they get the ball to their attackers in the right places and help to shield the defence.

It's a tragedy that Messi's loyalty to his home country will tarnish his reputation had he taken the Diego Costa approach and chosen Spain he'd have multiple international trophies he'd probably have scored over 100 international goals and would have gone down as the GOAT but alas he won't now.

Gaunter O Dimm

Yes some criticism is justified...but if your going to give an analysis onto the performance of one player for downfall of a team thats garbage. Thats what its sounding like here.

If it wasnt for cabelros mind fuck moment..it was 50/50 game at that point. ARG had good chances not put away. But once that blunder happened arg had to push more forward leaving spaces in behind. Hence what just happened.

But yes lets blame it all on messi just walking around the pitch.

Fair enough, I agree. But people only blame it on one player because many Argentina fans and Barca fans, media have made this Argentina team just about Messi and feel he had to step up to get this poor team going. This is why in a way I can't wait for Ronaldo and Messi to retire so some people can get back to remembering football is a team game.

Wow Wow Wow unbelievable! Messi tried hard today but people should understand that he isnt able anymore to dribble 2-3 players and give the perfect pass. You really see that he needs good players around him to play well. Another problem is his stamina, he cannot run more than 9 km.
Although in my opinion 2018 Messi is way better than 2014 Messi, I must say that the Messi from 4 years ago was able to do magic from nothing like his goals again Bosnia, Nigeria or Iran. Now he lost this ability.

FinBarcelonafan

Fair enough, I agree. But people only blame it on one player because many Argentina fans and Barca fans, media have made this Argentina team just about Messi and feel he had to step up to get this poor team going. This is why in a way I can't wait for Ronaldo and Messi to retire so some people can get back to remembering football is a team game.

Well Ronaldo made him look bad as well. Ronaldo scored 4 goals and Portugal total of 4.. Messi 0 and Argentina 1 total.

Judoman

Yeah, had to watch my kid but had a blast with him nontheless :) You only get to hear them sing fan songs for the first time in their lives once.

Awesome, even better. Congrats to you and the rest of Croats on the forum. I think you can reach far with this team.

Home of Barca Fans