11/12 Lliga: Real Madrid - FC Barcelona 1-3

Zachary

Seriously, now they may say whatever they want, such as "it's just another game", "they were lucky", "we're still three points ahead (theoretically)", etc. But the fact still remains that all of the following HAD TO BE in their minds all along, albeit "secretly", but there all the same:
1. This is Madrid's (and all that expensive line up) second year under Mou i.e.: "things really going our way".
2. This means that all those expensive signings are finally beginning to play better together: great individuals+play better together= fearsome 11= La Liga= CL=CdelR, etc.
3. This is assumed from the fact that they have kept winning, plus they're ahead of Barca on points (and could've otherwise been easily 9 insurmountable points ahead)
4. It is also "proven" by the fact that many people who last year had doubts have become fairly convinced that this time they're "much more serious" contenders
5. This even includes many in this Forum (including myself) which saw 6 or more points pretty tough to recover from, in combo with our own state of inconsistency.
So, what did this mean to the RM people way inside their minds in some little hidden corner of their brains (to the president, to the coach, to every player and to every fan)? Simply that this game was going to prove all that to everybody.

But, it didn't.

It was just back to square one. Barca comes to the Bernabeu and beats RM right at their shrine. Again. One more time. Business as usual.
What better team? What has changed? What superiority? What "playing better together"?

I believe that RM has, indeed, been playing much better than their first year under Mou.
I also believe that Barca has been more inconsistent in La Liga, so far, than previous years.
I also believe that what makes the latter look worse is the fact that more lesser-teams have robbed points from Barca by sharing specific strategy, especially in away games.
Barca has been kind of Dr Jeckel and Mr. Hyde: some bad games and some pretty good games, all depending on "which Barca is showing up".
Guess what Barca showed up to today? And that's considering that several players only had a so-so game today, but they did do what needed to be done: they scored on their opportunities and they kept RM from scoring when they should've scored. That's exactly how you win games.

So, this means two things: First, that Barca is not able to exhibit concentration (i.e. being in the game) on every game. Second, that when Barca "means business" (i.e. concentrates efforts) they are as good as Barca has ever been. The "means-business Barca" is still there and still superior to everybody, especially "cuando las papas queman".

And that's the tough, bitter and hard to digest truth what Madrilistas, to their dismay, have learned today: They still do not have the formula to be consistent against Barca, to repeat against Barca what the've been doing to most other teams this year, including a perfect CL group record. I can hardly blame the fans because RM did look the part, we all know that. It's just that Barca is a totally different movie, and not any variant of the movies they've so far seen this year.

When Madrilistas went to sleep last night, they had an unpleasant picture in their minds: First that Barca has proven they're still the boss and second that Los Blancos never really gained any serious ground, as they were almost sure they had.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
It is refreshing to see a new approach to Classicos. No diving, no cheating, both teams full on attack and canceling each other out (until Iniesta decided to play). The result is not good, its pretty disheartening but I am not at all pissed. I mean both teams had their moments, had their challenges and controlled the game at certain times but it boils down to mental strength. Something Ronaldo seriously lacks. Had he buried his shot it would have been a different outcome. Had he equalized with his header it would have been different.

I will get into this much more, but is Saturday night, I'mma go out. Peace.

DucdeOrléans

It is refreshing to see a new approach to Classicos. No diving, no cheating, both teams full on attack and canceling each other out (until Iniesta decided to play). The result is not good, its pretty disheartening but I am not at all pissed. I mean both teams had their moments, had their challenges and controlled the game at certain times but it boils down to mental strength. Something Ronaldo seriously lacks. Had he buried his shot it would have been a different outcome. Had he equalized with his header it would have been different.

´

Well I get your point but at the end of the day football is a game of mistakes.

If Valdés had not acted like a clown in the first 20 seconds and if Messi had scored the equalizer in the 6 minute and if and if.....

I hope you get the point.

You have moved closer to us but at the end of the day we are still superior in almost all the facets of the game. We were even marginally better in the two Super Copa games (when combined of course) even though we started our preseason much later. This was yet again proved today, away from home and labelled as underdogs by the media and the world and even by our own president the same day of the match! Not to mention our horrendous start.

Even despite all this we proved a point and made it game on again in the league.

It will no doubt still be a very close race but we won a huge "battle" today and proved to the world that we are still the better team and in fact the best in the world.

Simple as.

Last edited:

Trillske

Just want to note that I do read the replies.

Birdy, thanks for a serious reply.

Rest of you: I dont know why you even try to come of as serious when you only have a biased agenda and what you say simply makes no sense, at all. Just shout "Go barca!" or similar, instead of trying to hide behind failed reasoning. You would make the exact same point with it and your posts would look less silly; positivity and love is not bad by itself, I´d rather say its welcome.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
to all the haters and doubters who were pessimistic before this game, including the journos and broadcasters who wouldn't shut the fuck up about the "shift in power", I say this:

SeloBarca

Usually im worried the whole game when were playing Madrid

This one Barcelona had controll of every minute after 1-0, It was strange not feeling any danger when Madrid had the ball, you just knew they would get stuck outside the penalty area and Barcelona could start over.

To many that doesnt usually watch Barcelona games it might have looked like it was an even game, but it wasent. Barcelona was better in every position, and every aspect of the game, you learn to see that after watching alot of games and learning how Barcelona plays an when they have their good days and bad days

Trillske

This one Barcelona had controll of every minute after 1-0, It was strange not feeling any danger when Madrid had the ball, you just knew they would get stuck outside the penalty area and Barcelona could start over.

To many that doesnt usually watch Barcelona games it might have looked like it was an even game, but it wasent. Barcelona was better in every position, and every aspect of the game, you learn to see that after watching alot of games and learning how Barcelona plays an when they have their good days and bad days
You are spectaculair.

Birdy

Not his fault! he was ousted on the wing...

Sorry Raed but i did not see any distinct part of the game that madrid was in control..
Only brief moments and brief chances..

Barcilliant

In the end this boiled down to one thing -mentality. Barca are a great team and have 'it' Real are a very good team and dont have 'it'.

Great teams/individuals/champions perform when the stakes are high. Note a certain CRonaldo who once again choked and Oezil, Diva Maria who were pretty anonymous.

I predicted 3-2 or 4-2 but I was CERTAIN we would win. Even when we were a goal down I thought we would win.

We didnt play great indeed we can play much better.

Busquets, Messi and Alexis were the best players in the first half.

Second half Iniesta came to the party and so did Alves.

Pique-horrible. If it wasnt for Puyol we would have conceded another goal at least.

Mourinho aged about 10 years during that game. Our main aim should be to stay focussed and improve our away form in the league. Mourinho is running out of answers as we keep asking different questions of him.

I never doubted the team in this match and congrats to them and all the PTCs!!!

tikitaka

mou saying that barca was lucky nothing more and Xavi's goal was pure luck nothing beautiful in it..wtf!!.. is this man serious.how could madrid fans put up with his bullshit that far??

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
mou saying that barca was lucky nothing more and Xavi's goal was pure luck nothing beautiful in it..wtf!!.. is this man serious.how could madrid fans put up with his bullshit that far??
He isnt so far off as the 1st half wasnt any good from us. Due to some mad defensive fumbles esp. from Puyol and Abidal, they could have given us a trashing if CR wasnt such a tool. We only regained control after Xavis goal, but there was not much indicating a victory before imo.

The best thing was our clinical finishing and individual skills from Messi and esp. Alexis. And a deflected goal like Xavis always inhabits a good amount of luck. Benzema however was also lucky to be having the ball falling right on his foot for the 1-0 tho.

Barcilliant

Mourinho has to make his excuses and rationalise the loss. I think Perez will get a heart attack at this rate. He has bought so many players, bought the 'barca destroyer' eg Mourinho and still only one Copa to show for it.

I'll say it again our defence is looking OLD. Abidal is getting past it-same with Puyol. Pique needs to stop thinking about Shakira. Piss poor positioning from him. Always out of position with Puyol having to do the hard work covering for him.

dalitis8

Banned
Mourinho has to make his excuses and rationalise the loss. I think Perez will get a heart attack at this rate. He has bought so many players, bought the 'barca destroyer' eg Mourinho and still only one Copa to show for it.

I'll say it again our defence is looking OLD. Abidal is getting past it-same with Puyol. Pique needs to stop thinking about Shakira. Piss poor positioning from him. Always out of position with Puyol having to do the hard work covering for him.

Our defense, is old.

Home of Barca Fans