11 - Raphinha

ajnotkeith

Romeu is bad planning and Xavi being over rating Spanish midfielders.

Xavi has had hundreds of millions to spend while came in to a core of MATS, Araujo, Pedri, Gavi, Dembele etc and Balde/Lamal etc emerging from there.

Then the club have given big wages to free transfers such as Christ, Kessie, Gundo, Inigo.

On top of that hundreds of millions in market for first time in years.

If after all that they are left with Romeu as DM that is down to nothing but bad planning in a position that clearly needed covered.
Even now we are signing Cancelo on a delayed permanent deal for 30-40m or so, and looking to bring in Felix, so there is still clearly a little more money available.

Could have pooled it together 50m or so to get a class DM if that's what was being looked at. But Xavi clearly chose Romeu as someone he trusted to do the job.

serghei

I disagree that the club spent anywhere near sufficient money to have a shot at getting near clubs like City.

There were those palancas from a year ago, but what should have been a first step for 2-3 consecutive summers of signing some top rated players with proper age was apparently just a one off, since this summer it was all budget signings.

We did well all things considered, and I'm pretty satisfied with our team atm, all things considered. But, normally, for proper elite club ambitions we need a heck of a lot more in terms of money invested into players.

That is if we want to seriously challenge for winning the CL again. If not, fighting for La Liga with Madrid and Atletico, getting out of CL groups and maybe going 1-2 rounds more in the knockouts, it can be done with what we have atm. Especially considering the very favorable draw we got last night.

ajnotkeith

I disagree that the club spent anywhere near sufficient money to have a shot at getting near clubs like City.

There were those palancas from a year ago, but what should have been a first step for 2-3 consecutive summers of signing some top rated players with proper age was apparently just a one off, since this summer it was all budget signings.

We did well all things considered, and I'm pretty satisfied with our team atm, all things considered. But, normally, for proper elite club ambitions we need a heck of a lot more in terms of money invested into players.
It wasnt all budget signings. You're forgetting we also signed Roque, he's just coming in January because of their club's situation.

Co0ter

Even now we are signing Cancelo on a delayed permanent deal for 30-40m or so, and looking to bring in Felix, so there is still clearly a little more money available.

Could have pooled it together 50m or so to get a class DM if that's what was being looked at. But Xavi clearly chose Romeu as someone he trusted to do the job.
I hope Cancelo isn't a delayed 30-40mil signing, he will be 30 next season. I like him, but a loan with a plan for a younger, more long term option is required. We can't be short sighted with spending 40mil we barely have on a 30 year old attacking RB.

JohnN

with our financial situation it would be fantasy to expect the club to sign top class players for every position. Romeu is a stop gap but we have improved in every other position.
The advantage EPL teams have isn't so much on the first 11. it's that they actually have squad depth, a commodity we can't afford and is pretty important in CL.

JamDav1982

Squad depth is decent.

The front three could now have Felix, Ferran and Lamal as back up.

The areas that have weaker depth are the full backs but in reality Araujo, Cancelo, Kounde will be options there before get to Roberto and at LB but most likely Cancelo can be option there also.

Romeu shoud not be a starter and with Ferran/Felix/Fermin able to play AM/second striker then it would be FDJ, Pedri, Gundu, Gavi can then all play deeper before him.

EPL teams dont have amazing depth in most cases and they also need it more in much tougher league whereas Barca should have an advantage

mc_lovin

We have a small but excellent squad if you ask me. No real deadweight (inbefore people call me out on Roberto and Alonso, who both can play a part vs lesser teams).

Usually 15-16 players play the bulk of minutes.

JamDav1982

It isnt even a small squad really when add Fermin, Lamal and maybe even Faye can start getting games in defence.

B team has a lot of talent bubbling away to come through in next couple seasons also.

Bernal and Darvich could be in first team dynamics at very young age if they progress this season.

Players like Abde, Garcia, Fati leaving due to numbers and not seeing themselves getting game time not been case in while.

Up top mentioned Felix, Ferran, Lamal as depth and then Roque to come in January. That is most depth Barca have had in front line in years.

serghei

We sold the right players this summer, and brought in higher quality ones imo for a total of around 3m in transfer fees. Impressive job by our board and staff.

Dembele is the only top player we lost, but didn't like that prick much anyway.

I'd say our football should improve now.

serghei

Btw, it's a sure thing Roque is coming in January? Could we use him in CL knockouts if he clicks right away?

vuji_31

We sold the right players this summer, and brought in higher quality ones imo for a total of around 3m in transfer fees. Impressive job by our board and staff.

Dembele is the only top player we lost, but didn't like that prick much anyway.
Agree.

With worst situation ever we got this squad who can beat or should be anyone beside Man City, Bayern and Arsenal.

We don't have any real big flaw in team, there is no deadweight like in previous years.

Can't wait for the next games to see how Xavi will lineup team.

Hope so Felix plays instead of Gavi from first minute.

--Balde-------------Lewa-------------Lamine--
----------------Felix--------------Gundo---------------
----------------De Jong-------Romeu--------------
----Christensen------Kounde----Cancelo---

On the bench we have Gavi, Ferran, Rapinha, Fermin, Martinez and Araujo and Pedri are out because of injuries.

serghei

Agree.

With worst situation ever we got this squad who can beat or should be anyone beside Man City, Bayern and Arsenal.

We don't have any real big flaw in team, there is no deadweight like in previous years.

Can't wait for the next games to see how Xavi will lineup team.

Hope so Felix plays instead of Gavi from first minute.

--Balde-------------Lewa-------------Lamine--
----------------Felix--------------Gundo---------------
----------------De Jong-------Romeu--------------
----Christensen------Kounde----Cancelo---

On the bench we have Gavi, Ferran, Rapinha, Fermin, Martinez and Araujo and Pedri are out because of injuries.

Gavi should see most of his minutes in midfield now. He is mostly a CM at best imo, not an AM and surely not a wide attacking player.

Romeu should not play against any good team, he'll be badly exposed, and even Villareal game showed he is nowhere near Barca starting quality. Summer tour friendlies can't be compared with official games.

Raphinha should be clear starter on the right for me, obviously. Would do well not to force Lamal. He can play as a sub and get quite good amount of minutes for his age.

On the left Felix is surely gonna get his chance.

Porque

Barca this summer could give Gundo and Inigo high salaries, sign most sought after young CF in world for 30m+30m, give wages to Cancelo and Felix on loan.

If they do all that a year after spending hundreds of millions on players but are left with Romeu at DM.....thats on the club.

I can understand a cheap option for a year if the player you want isnt available but surely a starting DM is better money than Inigo at 4th CB.

This.

We added a ton of salary mass this summer.

[approx]
Felix - 14m
Cancelo - 13.5m
Gundagon - 19m
Inigo - 9m
Romeu - 5m (3.5m +1.5m) [3.5m transfer fee /3]

We squeeked it out in the end, but clearly alot of cap space to play with in the end. Hell these 5 incorporations are bigger than the whole salary mass of a lower LaLiga sides.

I'm unsure if Vitor counts to this summers FFP, but he must be part of next years projections.

So with less idealist Xavi picks, and Mendes board influence I wonder what we could of achieved.

But it does look good on paper, though Romeu is a blackspot.

serghei

Salary is one thing, but huge money as signing fees paid to other clubs is a huge chunk of the pie. Of course you have to give consistent salaries to players from City, Beyern, Atletico etc. That's a given.

What we did this summer is an economical and cost-concious way of improving the team. I'll take it. Good job.

Home of Barca Fans