14 - Javier Mascherano

Vegy

Hoped to see both Pique and Puyol on the pitch again but because of this man our captains place in the starting eleven isn't that secure anymore...

catalan force

love the way he leads our defense unit and all the tactical changes which pep employs go through him. What a signing... our captain in absence of our real captain.didnt make us miss puyol much did he? there has to be some way to keep him on the pitch all the time even after everyones fit. absolute beast :worthy::worthy:

abual3bed1

though he's great in CB position .. I just miss seeing him in DM.. it's been a long time since he played in his natural position

coolasif

I never ever imagined Mash would become such an excellent defender.But looks like his career as a DM is over at barca :D

ZeeMessi

Quote from an article that I was reading:

""We have recovered important players like Carles and Pique. It's logical that they will play as they are the best central defensive partnership in the world," he said"

What a great team member - Whether he is in the best 11 or not, he is great to have on the team!

Yugi

"Mascherano, as a former Argentina captain and Tevez´s close friend, do you know about Carlos Tevez break up with Mancini and ManCity?"

tumblr_ls8k83kH5P1qgm4mho2_500.jpg

B

barcelonista

It might sound weird just now, but do you guys think he could keep Pique on the bench for a while? His positioning, interceptions and tackles are very good and he's fast. Just read this on the Barca homepage:

Mascherano was again the player who won most ball for Barça, winning back the ball on 9 occasions.

If we play 3-4-3, which we'll do most of the time it seems, I feel like Pep might want to use a DM like Mascherano as CB. Pep's always in tactical talks with him during games and generally he seems to have a weak spot for him (and Keita :lol:). Mascherano's passing also improved a lot since he first started here. He looks a lot more comfortable with the ball than Puyol at this point. And after all he is pretty much proven as CB against the toughest opponents (Real Madrid, Manchester United). Never looked as insecure as Busquets back there tbh. I could really see Pep using him as CB even when Pique and Puyol are fit.

Trequartista

The good
Mascherano wont keep Pique on bench,think he could rival Puyol though but the way complementary centrebacks shall play,someone who is more of a sweeper(Pique or even Busquets) shall be partnered with a stopper(Puyol or Mascherano),Pique-Busquets(when Sergio plays in defence) are to similar and the same goes with(Mascherano-Puyol)
anyway I think Mascherano is now a defender,cant see him playing again as a defensive midfielder with Keita even keeping Busquets on bench a lot there

Barcilliant

It is simple-Puyol is on his way out-Masch is replacing him. This is being done gradually. Masch is easing into the role and Puyol is easing into retirement.

Myrmecophile

Mr. Japes
tbh I'd be happy with Mascherano becoming a CB (if he's happy with it) and us buying a DM or getting Romeu back or something.

We'll see.

Home of Barca Fans