14 - Javier Mascherano

AURELIUS

Despite the position he started with in football was as a midfielder, what he thrives at as a player is being a destroyer, not a creator. He's a natural defender, I believe he is more of center back than a midfielder, might sound a bit crazy but I'm starting to believe so.. and as we know in Barca our defenders must also pass the ball well, and have a good touch, which he understandably acquired playing in mid which is why he fits in like a glove in our defense. Not good enough for our mid, perfect for our backline.

Mascherano started out in River Plate's junior sides as a centreback. He was deemed as he progressed through the junior sides as not being sufficiently tall to be a competent centreback and was moved forward as a defensive midfielder.

At River Plate you learn to pass the ball. I don't understand the surprise people have when observers say I did not know he could pass so well. However at Barca the midfield protects him to a degree. He would be exposed in other sides for height and not being fully conversant with the offside rule.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
However at Barca the midfield protects him to a degree. He would be exposed in other sides for height and not being fully conversant with the offside rule.

That's a very good observation, and that's the cause of the dissent in the idea of using him as a CB for his NT...

AL-MALKI

This guy is great and all but I don't want to see him in CB the next 2 matches

The goal today is his mistake and this is not the 1st time over the few previous weeks,
Messi just got up from the twist he gave him the ball then just started running with no
aim failed to cover the diving $hit

gingerless

poor game for me... why was our defense so panicked? a couple of needless chances they almsot gave chelsea, plus that goal could have been so easily avoided

Kerrybai

This guy is great and all but I don't want to see him in CB the next 2 matches

The goal today is his mistake and this is not the 1st time over the few previous weeks,
Messi just got up from the twist he gave him the ball then just started running with no
aim failed to cover the diving $hit
Hardly his mistake alone. Alves could have done a better job tacking Ramires.

elvisng1005

He and Messi got mistakes in Chelsea's goal. He did play like a defensive midfielder more than a defender in that situation, runing after the ball instead runing after Drogba.

gingerless

messi had to drop deep to get the ball and as he's not used to playing deep he is a big risk taker in making passes up front (where it is less risky than losing the ball deep) so i guess somewhat sub-consciously he tried to pull off something risky and it ended up costing us. point being, he shouldn't have to drop deep to get the ball in the first place.

iced1776

the goal was all Leo's fault, he lost the ball where he shouldn't.

No goal is all one players fault, Barca still had numbers on Chelsea after the give away. Bottom line is that Masch made a run to cover the near post instead of staying with Drogba when Puyol very, very clearly already had that space covered. Puyol even tried to point Masch to the back post when Ramires received the ball but it was too late. As amazing as a ball winner as he is, he still needs to work on some of his positioning, its not the first time he's been caught out this year.

messi had to drop deep to get the ball and as he's not used to playing deep he is a big risk taker in making passes up front (where it is less risky than losing the ball deep) so i guess somewhat sub-consciously he tried to pull off something risky and it ended up costing us. point being, he shouldn't have to drop deep to get the ball in the first place.

There's only so much he can do when Meireles never leaves his side for a second all game and they constantly pack 6 players into the middle of the field where Messi usually operates.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans