14 - Javier Mascherano

A

Aker

He is leaving Liverpool for certain and it's only Inter and Barca that are supposedly after him.

Pajo

Interista Paja Patak
thats debatable. Im a fan of Mascherano, but if there is only one signing to be made, id say a player of Cesc's ilk is more needed.

Why cech?? Do you lack creativity? NO... Do you lack destroyer in the midfield? YES... SO What barca needs in their team is someone like Macherano, general, destroyer in the midfield... Too much creativity sometimes is not the best thing to do.. So the trio of Iniesta-Masch---xavi would be perfect, with Biscuits to sub those three if needed... Keita is there as well.

My oppinion :)

zanela

Why cech?? Do you lack creativity? NO... Do you lack destroyer in the midfield? YES... SO What barca needs in their team is someone like Macherano, general, destroyer in the midfield... Too much creativity sometimes is not the best thing to do.. So the trio of Iniesta-Masch---xavi would be perfect, with Biscuits to sub those three if needed... Keita is there as well.

My oppinion :)

Appreciate your input but i'm not sure you've been following us this past season.
Iniesta is brittle and we'll be lucky to get even half a season from him. This has resulted in overreliance on Xavi the last few seasons due to lack of creative options in the middle. When hes not playing our midfield looks disorganised and even lost at times. We 've so far been lucky with regards him. But all the extra mins over the season, intl footie etc is bound to 've a toll on him at some point. He even played with an injury towards the end of last season. And although a Xaviesta midfield brings loads of creativity, we lack depth in the creative dept. Xavi is the heart of Barca and we need to insure it. For us, Cesc is tht insurance. He can rotate with both during injuries and when we need to rest the midfield meastros. Cesc is no longer a luxury, he is now become a necessity. (I too was once opposed to this transfer but even i've realised his importance). With Iniesta injured we could've certainly used him against your lot at Camp Nou. :)
As for Keita, he is box-box MF, can't play lone DM and as far as creativity goes, hes a big fat ZERO.
Busquets fits our team perfectly. He is a creative DM who has good passing, touch, control, vision, positioning and harries and presses his opponents vital to regain possession in midfield. So he does everything mascherano does AND more. So why would Pep relegate him to the bench for a ltd DM? Pep's players need to be versatile and good on the ball. Besides, i'm not sure he'd go with a midfield of midgets.

We rather 've a cheap bckup DM and Cesc/CM who is needed more. So you can buy Mascherano. We 've our kid Oriol Romeu. :)

Last edited:

barca96

pajo talks as if busi can just be relegated to the bench, just like that..:lol:
the only adv mash has over busi is the bite in the tackles

Pajo

Interista Paja Patak
Appreciate your input but i'm not sure you've been following us this past season.
Iniesta is brittle and we'll be lucky to get even half a season from him. This has resulted in overreliance on Xavi the last few seasons due to lack of creative options in the middle. When hes not playing our midfield looks disorganised and even lost at times. We 've so far been lucky with regards him. But all the extra mins over the season, intl footie etc is bound to 've a toll on him at some point. He even played with an injury towards the end of last season. And although a Xaviesta midfield brings loads of creativity, we lack depth in the creative dept. Xavi is the heart of Barca and we need to insure it. For us, Cesc is tht insurance. He can rotate with both during injuries and when we need to rest the midfield meastros. Cesc is no longer a luxury, he is now become a necessity. (I too was once opposed to this transfer but even i've realised his importance). With Iniesta injured we could've certainly used him against your lot at Camp Nou. :)
As for Keita, he is box-box MF, can't play lone DM and as far as creativity goes, hes a big fat ZERO.
Busquets fits our team perfectly. He is a creative DM who has good passing, touch, control, vision, positioning and harries and presses his opponents vital to regain possession in midfield. So he does everything mascherano does AND more. So why would Pep relegate him to the bench for a ltd DM? Pep's players need to be versatile and good on the ball. Besides, i'm not sure he'd go with a midfield of midgets.

We rather 've a cheap bckup DM and Cesc/CM who is needed more. So you can buy Mascherano. We 've our kid Oriol Romeu. :)

Yeah, i do understand everything.. That is why i was saying Cech is muc more needed than SIlva when those roumors were alive...
But i still think a destroyer is more important than Cech. I dont rate biscuits at all, but he can cover for both CM and DM, has some creativity.. And back up for Xavi and Iniesta can be someone from your youth or another player to buy, cech is too damn expensive for a rotation player :)

As for Xavi yes i know, i've been saying in the past few years that HE is the most important player that Barca has, not Messi... He is heart and soul, mind of Barca, while messi is the executor. Without messi, you can still do it, you got great backups, but without Xavi, it is too damn hard for you...

pajo talks as if busi can just be relegated to the bench, just like that..:lol:
the only adv mash has over busi is the bite in the tackles

Mascherano has advantages over Busi as you call him in every singe alspect of the game, except technique maybe, which is not important for at DM at all...

Barcafan 2304

The reason i say Cesc is needed more is, as Zanela points out, the concern over Iniesta's injuries and also the fact Xavi is now in his thirties. However, i also feel that a real goal threat from the middle of the park is needed as well. Someone who is box to box and likes to really get forward. Cesc fits that bill.

barca96

yeah cesc can actually play 3 roles, iniesta, xavi and keiteeeee..

back to mascherano.
pajo ur right, technique is not an important part for a dm but at barca, it is required.
i dont mind to have him here at all. i rate him highly but there is no space for him.

IMO I think the points you mention make a more compelling case for signing Cesc over Mascherano. But I think it also makes an even more compelling one for Ozil. Cesc is more in Xavi's mold while Ozil is more in Iniesta's & since the concern is mainly Iniesta ATM then getting Ozil may be the better option. It is true that Ozil wouldn't be a very adequate replacement for Xavi as Cesc wld be. But we only have this season to sign while Cesc can wait for another year & given our financial situation I think it wld make more sense to go for him.

Barcafan 2304

Can see some appeal in what Mythical states. Maybe we can bring in ozil and bide our time with Cesc if the meeting with Rosell and Wenger doesnt see a breakthrough in SA.

Home of Barca Fans