14 - Javier Mascherano

FC B

I'm convinced about him being the first choice DM in many away games...
Lucho clearly sees him better being a CB which is odd...

barcanuck

Masche completed 100% (73 out of 73 !!!) passes tonight

ByFd6YyIQAAyeZT.png

via Squawka

honorable mention tonight for Masche. Perfect passing and was flawless on D !

Autumn

Where was this transition from being incredibly disrespected on here and constantly underrated to being overrated? It seemed to happen to suddenly.

He's been a super important asset to the team these past seasons, but he should not be our starting CB, and obviously shouldn't be starting in midfield. He is a great backup, and I'm certain there will be plenty of opportunities to utilize him as such.

My greatest fear with him is long balls. He has never seemed to have an ability to deal with long passes coming over his head. He always looks completely lost. I think that's a scary weakness to have at the back.

PhilS

Masch was fantastic today, again. He pairs so well with Mathieu. The increased competition at CB is really paying off.

barcanuck

Where was this transition from being incredibly disrespected on here and constantly underrated to being overrated? It seemed to happen to suddenly.

He's been a super important asset to the team these past seasons, but he should not be our starting CB, and obviously shouldn't be starting in midfield. He is a great backup, and I'm certain there will be plenty of opportunities to utilize him as such.

My greatest fear with him is long balls. He has never seemed to have an ability to deal with long passes coming over his head. He always looks completely lost. I think that's a scary weakness to have at the back.

Agreed me thinks Pique - Mathieu is the best CB duo we can put out against big teams.

J

Jamie Cal

Masch was fantastic today, again. He pairs so well with Mathieu. The increased competition at CB is really paying off.

Agreed with this. Honestly, who knows over the season, he may become the starting RCB, and I wouldn't be too upset. And if not, it (should) will at least be the kick up the ass Pique needs.

Richard.H

It could also really backfire. You have two players (Pique and Bartra) who aren't satisfied with seating on the bench. They won't hesitate to leave. Pique only gives a shiit about Shakira and his stardom so he would be the first to leave. Bartra is entering the age when you just have to get decent playing time as a professional footballer, so he might have better opportunities elsewhere.

E

El_e8

Pique would never leave. He gets paid to be superstar here.

Bartra in other hand... Could happen in January. United are desperate.

Ursegor

World Champion
"Better opportunities elsewhere"? Pique might just have a chance to go back to United given their defensive desperation and Barca would ask for a ransom with his contract running until 2019 and a possible transfer ban looming, but who is buying Bartra, a 24 year old backup defender who is yet to break out and prove himself consistently? Real Madrid, Bayern, Chelsea, City and Co. ain't buying him for sure so I'm not sure whether he'd be better off somewhere else instead of fighting for a place at Barca. All top clubs already have promising youngstars in their roster. Varane, Badstuber, Zouma, Mangala ... He can pair up with Muniesa at Stoke or Fontas at Celta if he likes though.

Bartra in other hand... Could happen in January. United are desperate.

United are desperate but not desperate for another unproven young defender. They already have 5 Bartras: Rojo, Evans, Jones, Smalling, Blackett. What they need is a senior defender with experience.

Last edited:

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
United are desperate but not desperate for another unproven young defender. They already have 5 Bartras: Rojo, Evans, Jones, Smalling, Blackett. What they need is a senior defender with experience.

TBF Bartra shits on all of them

PhilS

"Better opportunities elsewhere"? Pique might just have a chance to go back to United given their defensive desperation and Barca would ask for a ransom with his contract running until 2019 and a possible transfer ban looming, but who is buying Bartra, a 24 year old backup defender who is yet to break out and prove himself consistently? Real Madrid, Bayern, Chelsea, City and Co. ain't buying him for sure so I'm not sure whether he'd be better off somewhere else instead of fighting for a place at Barca. All top clubs already have promising youngstars in their roster. Varane, Badstuber, Zouma, Mangala ... He can pair up with Muniesa at Stoke or Fontas at Celta if he likes though.

I would take any of the top 4 Barca CBs over Evans, Jones or Smalling. I am less familiar with the Rojo and Blackett but Man U's current defensive prowess speaks for itself.

4 good choices at CB for Barca is how many are needed. All will play this season, there will be injuries and suspensions, there are just too many games not to rotate CBs, and I still think Masch will start at least 10 games at DM. I think a big reason why Mathieu and Masch have been so good, and the other two also when they have played, is because they all know Lucho has valid alternatives.

CuleLife4Life

If Pique can't get motivated enough to win back his starting spot in his boyhood dream club, why would he get focused enough to do it for Man Utd? And why would Man Utd esp Van Gaal spend money on him when they can find better alternatives? It would have to take something drastic like reduced minutes against low teams or being froze out by Lucho for Pique to leave.

As far as Bartra goes, I think he would end up as a starter at a English club like Arsenal or Liverpool. Definitely not a top club.

Utd brought Rojo after a World Cup where Argentina's defense was a big part in why they made the final but for those who watched Rojo at Sporting he wasn't anything to rave about which is why I was skeptical about the buy. Utd are desperate usuing his WC as a reason to buy him and would buy Bartra if he had more time on the pitch to show what he has.

poncirus

I can't understand why people fail to see Mascherano was designed to play in Barca's heart of defense.

It is far from conventional CB role, and many current 'elite' CBs would be heavily exposed in it. Puyol was nowhere near conventional CB.

Every single Barca coach sees it. But I guess Barca forum gets it right and we should really just buy HUMMELS and BENATIA.

raminho

I can't understand why people fail to see Mascherano was designed to play in Barca's heart of defense.

It is far from conventional CB role, and many current 'elite' CBs would be heavily exposed in it. Puyol was nowhere near conventional CB.

I gotta agree. I think he's played well so far this season and even last season. Of course I'd love to see him at DMF role once in a while but he's doing a lot of the things he did at the WC from his current position - the long balls, the tackles, opening passes. Yeah he's been awful at times but that happens to everyone, just look at Mathieu's last game.

Home of Barca Fans