14 - Javier Mascherano

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
I can't understand why people fail to see Mascherano was designed to play in Barca's heart of defense.

It is far from conventional CB role, and many current 'elite' CBs would be heavily exposed in it. Puyol was nowhere near conventional CB.

Every single Barca coach sees it. But I guess Barca forum gets it right and we should really just buy HUMMELS and BENATIA.

Well people clearly remember how we conceded those two goals by Benzema against RM last season because Mascherano wasn't tall enough and then Godin's goal in the last La Liga match was also partly his fault. However, the way Barca is playing under Lucho is totally different from Tata's Barca, now oppenent don't even get opportunities for any kind of set pecies, so Javier's height is not an issue and he's is more suitable to play as CB. On the other hand, it will be a real dilemma for Lucho who to choose for el clasico because then we will face all kinds of dangers, counter-attacks as well as players who are dangerous in the air.

Cule4life

The Culest
I can't understand why people fail to see Mascherano was designed to play in Barca's heart of defense.

It is far from conventional CB role, and many current 'elite' CBs would be heavily exposed in it. Puyol was nowhere near conventional CB.

Every single Barca coach sees it. But I guess Barca forum gets it right and we should really just buy HUMMELS and BENATIA.

Ummm i dont know maybe his blunders and massively apparent poor positioning and awareness(which arent his fault as he's not a CB) apart from his height (again not his fault) over the past couple of seasons is good enough evidence i think. But ppl will forget that after a couple of matches against weak teams who offer little attacking threat. And then when he gets bullied in the air and is exposed against good teams ppl will ask for his head again. This dance of love/hate relationship with masch has overstayed its welcome.

Fss we have 4 decent CBs now. Why he still plays there is beyond me. Give those minutes to Bartra or sell him for his own good

poncirus

Barca CB is more like other teams' DM. Team needs at least one aggressive, quick on turn, tactically aware defender who can hound opposition runners and participate in midfield pressing. Preferably with leadership abilities.

Puyol did that and he was far from conventional CB, also with his set of flaws. He was better in air (although not really tall), but Mascherano is better at spreading play from the back.

Mascherano is not ideal solution, but there really isnt one. And he's more than adequate. If you think someone like Hummels wouldn't get heavily exposed playing like that in open space, you are wrong. He might win more headers but would be left in dust regularly.

Being at heart of Barca defense is very demanding and uncomfortable role, where you get exposed one way or another. It takes special kind of character to keep your confidence intact playing it and Mascherano is one.

PhilS

Good post, Poncirus. Lots of big name CBs would have real problems in the Barca system. CBs tend to be brighter than other players, I bet quite a few would decline to come to Barca.

Cule4life

The Culest
Ah yes the "Holy barca profile" is always a get out of jail card for ppl defending Masch at CB. Even Baresi wouldnt be good enough to fit that profile

Trickykid

Barca CB is more like other teams' DM. Team needs at least one aggressive, quick on turn, tactically aware defender who can hound opposition runners and participate in midfield pressing. Preferably with leadership abilities.

Puyol did that and he was far from conventional CB, also with his set of flaws. He was better in air (although not really tall), but Mascherano is better at spreading play from the back.

Mascherano is not ideal solution, but there really isnt one. And he's more than adequate. If you think someone like Hummels wouldn't get heavily exposed playing like that in open space, you are wrong. He might win more headers but would be left in dust regularly.

Being at heart of Barca defense is very demanding and uncomfortable role, where you get exposed one way or another. It takes special kind of character to keep your confidence intact playing it and Mascherano is one.

Well said, man, well said.

F

Flavia

Masch so far hasn't been bad as cb, but we can't forget some past games where his positioning or awareness were costly. Pique was better than him last season, I really hope he picks up his form.

barcanuck

I would of put him in midfield in second half for 30 mins since Busi was knackered. It's really underrated what he does with his passing.

Ursegor

World Champion
I really like the Masche-Mathieu pairing. Both have the recovery speed, grit and 1 on 1 ability to play in Barca's high line. Shame about Masche's aerial skills.

barcanuck

I like Masche in midfield better than Busi right now. Busi is strolling like a jog in the park while Masch is always ready for a crunch. I'd actually start Masche in DM vs PSG and bench Busi for that one.

CatalinR10

A88T0421-Optimized.v1411993037.JPG

Masche looks ready

...to start at CB

giphy.gif

F

Flavia

No way to blame him for the goal... But the coach. You just can't have Masch marking taller guys who are good in the air.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Every time bartra played he ahad good or a great game. Give this guy more chances , especially if the guy who is taking your spot is NOT a cb

Home of Barca Fans